IGNORED

2020 Memorial Tournament

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

That's backwards from the way I think (not to say it's wrong). When I see posts, I would think center to center. So rarely is it on that fine line, but it is great to know that it is edge to edge instead. Thank you.

Well imagine if you took a string to mark the OB boundary...then said ‘let’s put a fence here.’ You would place the inside ( course) side of the posts to mark the boundary line. The middle of the post or backside wouldn’t make much sense. Make sense? 🙂

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

That's backwards from the way I think (not to say it's wrong). When I see posts, I would think center to center. So rarely is it on that fine line, but it is great to know that it is edge to edge instead. Thank you.

You will do yourself more good by looking these types of things up. Just bookmark the Rules page and look there first.

”How you think” doesn’t matter of course. It’s how the rules are written.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well imagine if you took a string to mark the OB boundary...then said ‘let’s put a fence here.’ You would place the inside ( course) side of the posts to mark the boundary line. The middle of the post or backside wouldn’t make much sense. Make sense? 🙂

I get the logic now, but in the situation with bryson, the fence-line was down the middle (the same way I would think about it), but the rules are different. Definitely appreciating the input/logic on this one. Cheers!

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You will do yourself more good by looking these types of things up. Just bookmark the Rules page and look there first.

”How you think” doesn’t matter of course. It’s how the rules are written.

Yeah. I still need to do a better job reading up on rules. There are just so many, and in this case, something I wouldn't even think about until it came up. Hopefully I can gain some more knowledge by 2 weeks from now, lol. Thanks.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Yeah. I still need to do a better job reading up on rules. There are just so many, and in this case, something I wouldn't even think about until it came up. Hopefully I can gain some more knowledge by 2 weeks from now, lol. Thanks.

Just bookmark this, and always start with Definitions.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=1

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

24 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Yeah. I still need to do a better job reading up on rules. There are just so many, and in this case, something I wouldn't even think about until it came up. 

Not to worry.  I play golf with an attorney friend and even he has a difficult time keeping up with and interpreting the rules.  Unless you want to divorce your golf clubs... then he's got you covered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Not to worry.  I play golf with an attorney friend and even he has a difficult time keeping up with and interpreting the rules.  Unless you want to divorce your golf clubs... then he's got you covered.

As I am not married, and have never been fitted, I am in no place to divorce anything of the sort. I'll keep him in mind if either of these happen.

Back on topic. How tough is Muirfield playing ATM? These guy are struggling!

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

4 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

FWIW, I think the commentators on nbcsportsgold got it wrong, too.  (Different from the golf channel broadcast at the same time.)  If I heard them correctly, one of them said that just like a penalty area, any part of the ball over the line makes it in the penalty area or OB.  But for OB, any part of the ball being in bounds makes the ball in bounds. 18.2a(2). 

I think BCD was trying to get a ruling that each small metal piece of the fence formed the line, rather than the posts. The ruling was the posts, if I understood it right. So even though part of his ball was course-side of the fence at the place his ball was, it was outside of the line formed by the posts.A985BF57-0760-425C-8B79-1535DF1F4C89.thumb.jpeg.d3c1972bf9727845b677a0dd3d111ada.jpeg

Yes, up until last year I would have gotten it wrong too. Buuuuut.... the point is, for an ultra-smart-super-duper-megladonion-progolf-physics-metaphysics- genius this should be 101.

On a different note, there's this aftertaste in all he does. In his rights, but the huffy rebuttal of the first official was icing on the cake.

He expected a cameraman to not soil his 'brand' couple of tournaments ago but he sure can't be bothered to do much towards it. 

Much respect for what he is doing with his distance thing but loved he won't be. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

59 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

On a different note, there's this aftertaste in all he does. In his rights, but the huffy rebuttal of the first official was icing on the cake.

Yes, he was just plain rude. The first rules official did well not to react. 

Stevie T

Annnnd this is why Finau has one win on the PGA TOUR. Shame...I like him but boy does he choke.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

:scared:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

33 minutes ago, jamo said:

:scared:

R3 placements seem like they are all right  off the green edges too. Jack can't stand them tearing up his course. 

Vishal S.

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Why wouldn’t he have me covered? Do you think he’d side with the golf clubs?

45 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Why wouldn’t he have me covered? Do you think he’d side with the golf clubs?

Depends on whether the clubs or you hire him first. Are you having irreconcilable differences with your clubs?

10 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Fair points. I hope he plays well today and tomorrow, and doesn't crack like he normally does.

I'm pulling for him as well, but it will be tough if Rahm shoots a decent round.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

5 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Annnnd this is why Finau has one win on the PGA TOUR. Shame...I like him but boy does he choke.

He should stop worrying about ball speed, imo, and work on his weaknesses, which are legion.  Improving his driving accuracy, scrambling, sand play, and putts inside10 ft. would improve his scores more than boosting his ball speed, imo, given that he already has more than adequate length.  I hope he figures this out. 

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

He should stop worrying about ball speed, imo, and work on his weaknesses, which are legion.  Improving his driving accuracy, scrambling, sand play, and putts inside10 ft. would improve his scores more than boosting his ball speed, imo, given that he already has more than adequate length.  I hope he figures this out. 

I think he's just a legit choke artist. NLU has categories for players: Killer (tiger, jack, and maybe a few other like Ratiff, Els, Faldo), dogs (guys that can and will fight to win like JT, Burba W), and (pussy) cats (Finau, schauffele, pretty much anyone that cant win on a regualr basis).

Finau is a cat, that can't fight back under any kind of pressure. It has little to do with what he is focusing on in his training time. He is just not capable of fighting for a win. This seems odd to the average golfer because we aren't typically worried about what others are doing, but for him, he is worried, and it makes him crack.

To me, TF's streak of not winning has nothing to do with mechanics.

Edited by Bonvivant

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah it’s in the definitions. Those little ones don’t even reach the ground.

And I’m not sure the ball is inside that.

Not a hard one if you know the rules. On Sky Sports in the UK they called it correctly straight away.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, weekend hacker1 said:

Not a hard one if you know the rules. On Sky Sports in the UK they called it correctly straight away.

I know. They had it right on the US coverage, too, IIRC. The referee even said "in the definitions…" or something.

One of the first things you learn as a rules official is how the course is marked and what counts as "in" (in a penalty area, in bounds, in a bunker, etc.) on various areas of the course.

Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!