barnum1

Do You Stand Over the Ball When Putting?

18 posts / 837 viewsLast Reply

Hi!

I just bought the Pelz Tutor for putting practice. 
Aside from what it's "meant to do", my big revelation was that I was not standing with my eyes over the ball.
There are two lines on right and left side of the ball position (looking from behind). and I wasn't seeing the right one completely.
I was standing too far from the ball, if one is supposed to stand with the eyes over the ball.

Then, I started thinking. Do all good putters stand right over the ball? How about forum members?

Would be interesting to get some opinions!

I stand with my eyes over the ball.  At least, I assume I do.  I would probably need someone to check me out when putting and let me know if that is indeed the truth.

Not all putters have their eyes directly over the ball, or indeed need to.  As long you know the line you want and are able to start it on that line, strength should be the only factor.  Most good putters are able to read a green well.  That is what truly helps, unless your stroke is really miserable.

I probably did not up until a couple months ago when I realized my putter was not sitting as it should at address. This caused me to move closer to the ball and, in turn, puts my eyes more over the ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like my eyes to be between my feet and the ball. If you drop a ball from my nose, it should fall just inside the ball. I don't think every great putter has their eyes over the ball. I find it more comfortable to not be bent over that much or have my head bent over that much such that I am looking at the ball directly. 

I'm not sure what I'm doing, but whatever it is, please rest assured there's an easy way to figure out the right way to putt:  look at what I'm not doing.

I had a putting lesson yesterday and it turns out that I aim much better when I have my eyes nearly over the ball. It feels a little awkward right now, but the improvement is worth the adjustment in my posture. 

I've read multiple putting books and yes, most good putters will line up with their eyes directly eyes or just over the ball. I don't know what your putting aid is but most golf stores sell a putting mirror to help you line up. I use mine during conference calls when I work from home. It does help.

Aligning your eyes so the line on the ball/putter looks correct. If that's right over the ball, great, but for a lot of golfers when they put their eyes directly over the ball it makes the line look off. It's definitely something I've been playing around with recently.

I think some of that depends on where you have to setup to get your putter in the correct position as far as toe up, heel up, etc...

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I like my eyes to be between my feet and the ball. If you drop a ball from my nose, it should fall just inside the ball. I don't think every great putter has their eyes over the ball. I find it more comfortable to not be bent over that much or have my head bent over that much such that I am looking at the ball directly. 

This is how I put as well. Stan Utley wrote in his book The Art of Putting the having your eyes over the ball is not critical. Being able to aim and starting the ball on your intended line is critical. My stance is upright and my aim is fine per my putter fitting a few years ago.

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

This is how I put as well. Stan Utley wrote in his book The Art of Putting the having your eyes over the ball is not critical. Being able to aim and starting the ball on your intended line is critical. My stance is upright and my aim is fine per my putter fitting a few years ago.

I find the more upright my stance is, the more difficult it is to have a straight stroke. Bending over seems to help me activate my shoulders

2 minutes ago, ShaftFarmer said:

I find the more upright my stance is, the more difficult it is to have a straight stroke. Bending over seems to help me activate my shoulders

A straight back-straight through stoke is almost impossible to do well. Most of us putt on an arc because our putters have lie angles between 68 and 72 degrees, our posture is bent over and our shoulders rotate on that plane. To do SBST, you have to fight that plane and take it back above plane.

23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

A straight back-straight through stoke is almost impossible to do well. Most of us putt on an arc because our putters have lie angles between 68 and 72 degrees, our posture is bent over and our shoulders rotate on that plane. To do SBST, you have to fight that plane and take it back above plane.

Right, I'm definitely closer to straight back but there is a slight arc, especially with longer putts. Just mean when I try to stand more upright I feel like I use my hands more and that leads to a very wobbly path

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Slightly inside the line is good for most people. Over the ball, meh.

Does eye-dominance play any role in that? 

1 hour ago, ShaftFarmer said:

Does eye-dominance play any role in that? 

Not really. It can affect whether the ball is forward or back a bit.

I feel like there are a few pros who line up with the ball way outside...Webb Simpson and Kuchar perhaps? I might be misremembering...