IGNORED

Played Pinehurst #4 on Sanded Greens

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe this should be in the What did you shoot today folder?

But here goes.  Our group hand the 1st tee time today in our Men’s Golf Association event.  The event was 2 Man Best Ball Net. I’m sure we lost!  We played Pinehurst #4.  It’s in great shape!  But today they decided to sand the greens.  The 1st and 2nd hole were not sanded yet.  But every hole after that we’re being sanded. We never waited on the maintenance guys as we were just far enough back to play freshly sanded greens.  To make matters worse the pins were in very precarious positions. Downhill, side hill etc.  Other than keeping our scores we began to track how many tomes we three putted!  I won that honor by 3 jacking 6 times!  Between us all we 3 putted 19 times!  We couldn’t read a billboard on those greens and we should have been given speeding tickets for how many we ran past the cup.  If you’ve had the pleasure of playing the new #4 you’ll know what we mean. Nothing is flat!  None of us broke 80. All of us are single digits ranging from 5.6 to 9.1  Low score was 80, highest 90.

But the good new is we beat the thunderstorms!

#4 Pinehurst?  Yes, I did play the newly designed layout.  I actually prefer the old design TBH.  But still a great course.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, Yukari said:

#4 Pinehurst?  Yes, I did play the newly designed layout.  I actually prefer the old design TBH.  But still a great course.

A lot of the Members do. I recently played with an older member who said he like the original design.  Didn’t know it’s been made over three times.  I also met another Member that has a buddy down in Florida that belongs to Streamsong where Hanse did Streamsong Black. Said it’s a joke, specifically the greens.  I haven’t played there.

cut and paste from Golf Digest;

This course has everything: blind shots, uphill shots, downhill shots, easy greens to hit, impossible greens to hold, giant fairways that you can't miss, and shots you look forward to trying to execute but can't. And I had a blast on every hole. Fun is the word here, because you will hit more fairways than usual, and still have a tough time on these massive, undulating greens. Deceptive, because what looks easy (a giant green) is hard to navigate because the greens incorporate the typical chipping areas, and therefore have more undulating edges than most.

Samething here on #4.  Easy fairways to hit but the greens are a joke.

I don't know about THE original design, but I was referring to the design prior to the lates redo in 3-5 years ago.  I played the newly designed one two years ago and was not impressed.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• billchao changed the title to Played Pinehurst #4 on Sanded Greens

I played #4 a couple times in the mid 80s, and thought it was a really good course. The first time was a weekend trip, and I played #2 the day before, and I enjoyed #4 as much as #2. I spoke with a lady that was working at the 99 Open, and she said a lot of members preferred #4 to #2 because the greens didn’t repel what looked like a good shot. She also said that #4 was scheduled to be re done after the Open, and a lot of members weren’t too happy about it.

Note: This thread is 1380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!