Jump to content
Bump-n-MI

Can a Low Capper Beat a LPGA Pro… Results!

74 posts / 5363 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, iacas said:

A data analyst friend. It's on Twitter.

Pro golfers generally don't maintain a cap and I assume your friend created the info as it's a hobby that he/she enjoys.

But I kinda question the accuracy of the info....some examples below.

In 2019 (from lpga.com), Jin Young Ko had a fantastic year on the LPGA and was the scoring avg. leader at 69.062.

I realize scoring avg. might not have a 1:1 linear relationship to a cap because the LPGA pros play different events vs other LPGA pros on a week to week basis, (some pros sitting out event), each course has a different rating/slope, etc, etc.

I did some quick eye balling on info on results from lpga.com......there was a period where JYK on her best 10 of 20 had a total of 657...I also eyeballed results for Nasa in her best 10 of 20 rd period and got 660....yet the info from your friend says Nasa had a best/lowest cap in 2019 of +5.5 vs, JYK's +4.5.

Only as a FYI........I believe during the above period...JYK's highest score in those 10 rds was a 67 and Nasa's was 68.

But IMO ........a glaring potential lack of accuracy...... is for Anna Nordqvist .....who as per the above chart has a similar 2019 best avg cap and avg cap as JYK.

Just eyeballing a best period/run for Anna in 2019....it's difficult to find a best 10 of 20 where there are a lot of scores in the 60's .......and Anna was in 2019 .....2.4 strokes higher in scoring avg at 71.471 (T65) vs. JYK's leading 69.062.  

 

Edited by Mr22putt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Pro golfers generally don't maintain a cap and I assume your friend created the info as it's a hobby that he/she enjoys.

But I kinda question the accuracy of the info....some examples below.

In 2019 (from lpga.com), Jin Young Ko had a fantastic year on the LPGA and was the scoring avg. leader at 69.062.

I realize scoring avg. might not have a 1:1 linear relationship to a cap because the LPGA pros play different events vs other LPGA pros on a week to week basis, (some pros sitting out event), each course has a different rating/slope, etc, etc.

I did some quick eye balling on info on results from lpga.com......there was a period where JYK on her best 10 of 20 had a total of 657...I also eyeballed results for Nasa in her best 10 of 20 rd period and got 660....yet the info from your friend says Nasa had a best/lowest cap in 2019 of +5.5 vs, JYK's +4.5.

Only as a FYI........I believe during the above period...JYK's highest score in those 10 rds was a 67 and Nasa's was 68.

But IMO ........a glaring potential lack of accuracy...... is for Anna Nordqvist .....who as per the above chart has a similar 2019 best avg cap and avg cap as JYK.

Just eyeballing a best period/run for Anna in 2019....it's difficult to find a best 10 of 20 where there are a lot of scores in the 60's .......and Anna was in 2019 .....2.4 strokes higher in scoring avg at 71.471 (T65) vs. JYK's leading 69.062.  

 

Handicap indices require course rating and slope to calculate. Just getting scoring averages from different players who played 20 rounds on different courses means basically nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Pro golfers generally don't maintain a cap and I assume your friend created the info as it's a hobby that he/she enjoys.

But I kinda question the accuracy of the info....some examples below.

It's not his hobby. It's his career, and he's one of the tops in the field. You can question the accuracy, but you won't get anywhere.

13 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

I did some quick eye balling on info on results from lpga.com......there was a period where JYK on her best 10 of 20 had a total of 657...I also eyeballed results for Nasa in her best 10 of 20 rd period and got 660....yet the info from your friend says Nasa had a best/lowest cap in 2019 of +5.5 vs, JYK's +4.5.

His data is accurate. You've just gone on scoring averages, not factoring in the course rating and slope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do realize and stated so in my post #55....that cap vs. scoring avg doesn't have a linear 1:1 relationship and different courses have different ratings and slopes.

From above:

"I realize scoring avg. might not have a 1:1 linear relationship to a cap because the LPGA pros play different events vs other LPGA pros on a week to week basis, (some pros sitting out event), each course has a different rating/slope, etc, etc.

But.....there are a limited LPGA events and there will be many common events played among LPGA golfers maybe 60-70% of the time and they are all playing from the same tees at the event.

I know cap is a "potential" during any given time and they don't always play similar courses at the same time....I just find it strange that where you look at JYK and Anna's 2019 based on results.....that both would have similar cap results that IMO....JYK has a superior performance year over Anna.

 

 

27 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Bump is a 4.7 index in GHIN.

Do you know Bump's name and state to be able to look up his GHIN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what the point of that post was. I read all that you posted. I know you realize that scoring is not 1:1. It doesn't speak to the actual information, just that you understand how your stuff is off.

You seem to have used the wrong season. 2018. His indexes are correct. And they're a bit higher than the corresponding males (PGA Tour), and given the roughly six-shot difference between men and women… speaks to how a scratch golfer might play against an LPGA Tour player. Even the good ones, let alone some non-LPGA Tour players like the Symetra Tour players in this topic.

27 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Do you know Bump's name and state to be able to look up his GHIN?

He does. As do I. It's not hard to figure out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, iacas said:

You seem to have used the wrong season. 2018.

No....all my info from lpga.com is from 2019.

So my question is:

Why would your friend be creating handicap information on pros golfers?....isn't a handicap for a pro golfer whether it be a touring pro, competitive pro or even a PGA Class A pro be viewed as irrelevant....I believe most pros...if not all pros.... don't identify themselves with a handicap or carry an official handicap.......and when they play competitively, they all play straight up....'gross' events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

No....all my info from lpga.com is from 2019.

Then yes you have the wrong year.

5 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Why would your friend be creating handicap information on pros golfers?....isn't a handicap for a pro golfer whether it be a touring pro, competitive pro or even a PGA Class A pro be viewed as irrelevant....I believe most pros...if not all pros.... don't identify themselves with a handicap or carry an official handicap.......and when they play competitively, they all play straight up....'gross' events.

He calculated it to provide data for the conversation. Simple.

Let’s move on. This isn’t going anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Then yes you have the wrong year.

He calculated it to provide data for the conversation. Simple.

Let’s move on. This isn’t going anywhere.

OK...I thought it previously said 2019.

So would you agree that pro golfers don't identify themselves with a cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

So would you agree that pro golfers don't identify themselves with a cap.

Some keep an index at their home course. Most don’t.

Kind of an irrelevant point. The indexes add information to the discussion.

We are moving on now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I think we lost Bump...

Probably did not like that we discovered he is a 4.7-I think he is just making up the results as he has not shot the scores he has said he shot himself either.

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I think we lost Bump...

Probably did not like that we discovered he is a 4.7-I think he is just making up the results as he has not shot the scores he has said he shot himself either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

Probably did not like that we discovered he is a 4.7-I think he is just making up the results as he has not shot the scores he has said he shot himself either.

 

Yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am going to surmise that @Bump-n-MI had not updated his Profile and index from several years ago.  He did say somewhere that he had taken time away from the game for personal reasons.  He had not posted here for several years.  He may have been +0.6 in the past.  

I don't recall his actually stating he was "scratch" although I would have assumed as much based on his description of his game and the incorrect Profile number.  Still, a lot of us do not edit our Profile index very often and it is easy to see how reality might not match what we input months (or years) ago.

 

Edited by bkuehn1952

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I don't recall his actually stating he was "scratch" although I would have assumed as much based on his description of his game and the incorrect Profile number.

In the opening post:

Quote

Member #2 (me)

  • Accomplished collegiate and amateur career (hockey, not golf)
  • Hovering around 0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:
  • Accomplished collegiate and amateur career (hockey, not golf)
  • Hovering around 0

Maybe 0 was his hockey index.  😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I don't recall his actually stating he was "scratch" although I would have assumed as much based on his description of his game and the incorrect Profile number.  Still, a lot of us do not edit our Profile index very often and it is easy to see how reality might not match what we input months (or years) ago.

 


Here you go....

 

On 7/10/2020 at 6:58 AM, Bump-n-MI said:

"genuine" eh.  Welp, I'm a "genuine" scratch and I got my butt kicked the first day I played with them.


so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...