IGNORED

Can a Low Capper Beat a LPGA Pro… Results!

Bump-n-MI
Note: This thread is 1367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many of you low cappers think you can beat mid-range Symetra Tour player?

Let me set the table.  My club has 2 fulltime Symetra Tour players slapping it around with us hacks until their season opens up in 2 weeks.   The course plays to 6300 yds, par 70 (comparable with the courses they play on tour), 71.1/130, tight fairways and lightning fast postage stamp greens.      

Tour Resume #1

• Seasoned LPGA professional
  • Over 2.5 million in career earnings
  • Solheim Cup participant
  • Currently playing on the Symetra Tour

Tour Resume #2

• Accomplished collegiate career
  • 2019 Symetra Tour rookie
  • 2020 full time Symetra Tour status

Member #1

• Accomplished collegiate and amateur career
  • Plays to a +2.8

Member #2 (me)

• Accomplished collegiate and amateur career (hockey, not golf)
  • Hovering around 0

Member #3

• No real competitive experience other than local course knowledge
  • Plays to a 2.1

There are several other members that play with our group but for this discussion they are inconsequential.  

So, we have 3 rounds in the books………let me hear some guesses on the results (I will share by the end of the day).

Edited by Bump-n-MI

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Whats the course rating/slope for ladies?

From 6300yds, I feel like it'd be a close duel between the +2.8 and the ladies.  Stretch out the distance though and I'd be favoring the +2.8 more.  Hovering around a 0, you may get close with their rougher rounds, but I'd think you're out of it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't even know how to judge, but I'd take a guess that the 2.1 and you shot the closest together round scores. Then the rookie and the +2.8 were next closest. The seasoned vet maybe a runaway? I'll throw out a guess for score averages for 3 rounds too.

Tour 1, 66.3

Tour 2, 67.6

Member 1, 68.3

You, 71

Member 3, 71.6

This is a complete shot in the dark as I have never played tournament golf and rarely play with sub 4 handicap players. I'm assuming that these were in competition and projecting psychology on it a bit. I'm probably overestimating the 2.1 in competition, but for some it makes them play better. 

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Woman’s course and slope

• 77.6/142 6300 (back tees)

• 72.4/128 5600 (woman’s tees)

BTW, they played the back tees with us.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh

1 minute ago, Bump-n-MI said:

Woman’s course and slope

Based on that, I think that member #1 probably smokes them.  You probably play them to about even - win one, lose one - over several rounds.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

6 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Hovering around a 0, you may get close with their rougher rounds, but I'd think you're out of it.

Exactly what I thought too.  Keep in mind course knowledge plays a pretty big roll in this equation.

I'm sure I'm way off after seeing the women's ratings. Interested to hear others' takes and the results later. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

4 minutes ago, Bump-n-MI said:

Woman’s course and slope

Like @bwdial, I'd now say the +2.8 wins mostly and you are pretty close with them.  

Just now, Bump-n-MI said:

Exactly what I thought too.  Keep in mind course knowledge plays a pretty big roll in this equation.

The rating/slope made a big difference.  I'd venture a guess that they play to a +5ish, which averages right with you.  If course knowledge is a factor, you may have an edge, but it'd be close still.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Ill guess Member 1, Member 2, Tour 1, Member 3, Tour 2.  Just not sure the Pros can make up enough strokes around the green against low cappers to cover what they are losing off the tee. 

That assumption is based on Trackman averages I have seen for Mens Pro, Mens average, and Ladies Pro.  It's possible these 5 players don't fit that assumption.

16 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I don't even know how to judge, but I'd take a guess that the 2.1 and you shot the closest together round scores. Then the rookie and the +2.8 were next closest. The seasoned vet maybe a runaway? I'll throw out a guess for score averages for 3 rounds too.

Tour 1, 66.3

Tour 2, 67.6

Member 1, 68.3

You, 71

Member 3, 71.6

This is a complete shot in the dark as I have never played tournament golf and rarely play with sub 4 handicap players. I'm assuming that these were in competition and projecting psychology on it a bit. I'm probably overestimating the 2.1 in competition, but for some it makes them play better. 

That is exactly how I would have guessed if this question was posed to me.  I found it tough to balance nerves and positive swing thoughts.....well, at least for the first few holes of the first round 😎

7 minutes ago, bweiss711 said:

Ill guess Member 1, Member 2, Tour 1, Member 3, Tour 2.  Just not sure the Pros can make up enough strokes around the green against low cappers to cover what they are losing off the tee. 

That assumption is based on Trackman averages I have seen for Mens Pro, Mens average, and Ladies Pro.  It's possible these 5 players don't fit that assumption.

I'll add some more info.  Both pros hit it a long way.

• Pro #1 - 265yds (tour stats, actually let the LPGA tour in driving distance a few years ago)
  • Pro #2 - 270yds (no tour stats, but she was consistently out-driving Pro #1)
  • Member #1 - effortlessly long, 290+ if I had to guess, however, he always plays to his strengths (i.e. lots of 3 woods and irons)
  • Me - effortlessly short 265ish but hit 75+% of fairways
  • Member #2 - longest I've ever played with (and I've been playing for 40 years).  Won't even throw a number out there for fear of being called a BS'r. 

How many reachable par 5s and driveable par 4s?  How many holes does the smart play take driver out of Member #1 and #2 hands?

Without knowing that, I'd guess Tour #1, Member #1, Tour #2, Member #2, Member #3, just because 6300 is manageable for all, and there are likely some holes where Member #1 and Member #2 will need to hit irons off the tee

John

(edited)
10 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

How many reachable par 5s and driveable par 4s?  How many holes does the smart play take driver out of Member #1 and #2 hands?

Without knowing that, I'd guess Tour #1, Member #1, Tour #2, Member #2, Member #3, just because 6300 is manageable for all, and there are likely some holes where Member #1 and Member #2 will need to hit irons off the tee

No truly drivable par 4's, only 1 par 5, and 2 par 3's in excess of 200 yards.  

TBCC Scorecard .PNG

Edited by Bump-n-MI

you've certainly got me intrigued.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I wouldn't be surprised either way. This yardage is not too long for the ladies, and you have to have a pretty good short game to make a living playing golf. That might be the deciding factor. 

12 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

I and you have to have a pretty good short game to make a living playing golf. 

They were both spectacular around the green.  One thing they do completely different than most of us amateurs is.......preparation.  I spend a combined 30 minutes stretching, warming up, chipping and putting (usually in that order).  They were always there well in advance, not sure if it was 30 minutes or more but I can say they were completely warm by the time I arrived.   Every range swing was methodical and approached as if something was on the line.  

Gonna try to get 9 in before the rain..  I'll post day 1 results when I get back.

• Upvote 1

If you're scratch I'm going to guess that your average score is around 73. I think the ladies will average par or slightly better, so over the course of several rounds you'll get beat by several strokes. My best guess is that the 2.8 is similar to the ladies. But I'll also guess that even if they are shooting the same score, the male has more birdies and bogeys and ladies make more pars. LPGA consistency is unreal.

7 hours ago, Bump-n-MI said:

Woman’s course and slope

Without finishing the thread - all my money is on both of the Women.  All day long every day.  I am now finishing the thread.  

GREAT Thread by the way!! @Bump-n-MI

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Note: This thread is 1367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!