ShaftFarmer

Anyone Tried Sandpaper to Remove Scratches on Iron Heads?

6 posts / 884 viewsLast Reply

Bought some new (used) Mizuno JPX 900 Forged irons a few days ago and they looks great overall but a couple irons have some scratches on bottom of the head and saw some recommend using sandpaper to remove those. Just wondering if anyone has tried that and how it turned out. Definitely want to take good care of these irons so don't want to damage any of the more during this process haha

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't use anything more abrasive than a Scotch-Brite pad.  Scratches are normal and sanding them will remove material from the club head.  I clean my heads and grips, regularly, with nothing more than hot water and a soft-bristled brush.

Sandpaper won't hurt them unless they have some sort of oxide finish or similar on them.

If you want to smooth out scratches .... wet sand with 600 - 900 grit paper. But clubs will get scratches on the bottom. It's what happens when you play golf.

All clubs come with a protective finish to prevent rust.
If you use any type of sandpaper use caution when trying to buff out a club.
Only use a new sandpaper, if you use one which has any rust particles from use on other metal types,
you stand a chance of embedding the particles into the club.

I suggest buffing a club with "Jewelers Rouge" using a Buffing Wheel after sanding.
It's a tedious process. 

I got so frustrated with the dings, especially wedges, that I used a small sanding wheel on my dremel to clean them up.  Also used my belt sander for some of the other badly nicked soles.  Not talking chrome here.  Just regular satin finish forged.  Works real well and fast and buff with 3m pad afterwards. I play a lot and use them a lot.  They are close to 5 years old and was looking to replace them but not in a rush as they turned out well and are showing dings already again.  Iron covers ??

Edited by SteveH