IGNORED

knott's Stubborn Takes on Golf, Particularly Instruction

knott
Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, knott said:

I said after learning the basics which you translated to no instruction at all.

I have not done so. I recognize that you said initial lessons. You think that golfers don’t need them after that - that’s what I disagree with strongly - and have provided no support for that.

The goalpost shifting was in regards to “best” and other superlatives and how you worded the post I quoted in regards to goalpost.

31 minutes ago, knott said:

Best and best I am just saying lessons is not necessary at all at some point to improve your game once you know enough I would never recommend anyone to do one or the another.

I’m willing to chalk what you have said as perhaps English not your first language, because that’s not what you have been saying while I have gone out of my way to say I don’t care what you feel works for you, but do when you say it for others, especially without any real support other than what you think as a bogey golfer.

You didn’t respond to any of the bullet points once again, so we are done and moving on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, knott said:

No it´s you and others that done the goalpost shifting. I said after learning the basics which you translated to no instruction at all. But this is all cleared up and dusted by now.  Now you accuse me of changing goalposts when you where the primary offender in this regard?

Best and best I am just saying lessons is not necessary at all at some point to improve your game once you know enough I would never recommend anyone to do one or the another. You just have to respect different opinions then yours and don´t suggest people stop posting them... 

How do you know when you know "enough"?

"The more I learn, the more I realise how much I don't know." -Albert Einstein

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, knott said:

No it´s you and others that done the goalpost shifting. I said after learning the basics which you translated to no instruction at all. But this is all cleared up and dusted by now.  Now you accuse me of changing goalposts when you where the primary offender in this regard?

Best and best I am just saying lessons is not necessary at all at some point to improve your game once you know enough I would never recommend anyone to do one or the another. You just have to respect different opinions then yours and don´t suggest people stop posting them... 

I think it’s time you move on to other threads. You’ve said your position a few times and that is sufficient. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

I would absolutely recommend lessons for anyone.  I have no doubt whatsoever that had I had lessons, and practiced with intent, that I would be a much better player than I am.

I have to give it to you, though. I know lots of guys with your years of golf experience who still suck at this game. You’re pretty good at golf for a guy who has never really taken lessons, even if seeing you swinging the golf club ruined Graeme McDowell’s career 😜

• Upvote 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, knott said:

LOL yeah. Wish it would work like that 🙂

It does.

But you know your body and the golf swing so well- I'm puzzled as to why you can't hit a draw.

• Like 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

1 hour ago, Phil McGleno said:

It does.

But you know your body and the golf swing so well- I'm puzzled as to why you can't hit a draw.

I can. But it´s much easier to create an inside out pattern with a non fade biased driver 😉 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, knott said:

I can. But it´s much easier to create an inside out pattern with a non fade biased driver 😉 

No.

Fade bias moves the CG slightly toward the toe. That’s about it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

No.

Fade bias moves the CG slightly toward the toe. That’s about it.

Okay its harder to create a draw with a draw biased driver. Very good advice... 

20 hours ago, knott said:

Second goal is getting control of my new Sim Max driver. Problem is I want to hit draws but it´s fade biased. I am so tired of shots leaking right but this is so consistant there is a lot to aim for. Just need to be calm and smooth with it and it should be fine. When hit right surely got quite some distance over my old cleveland but that was so fun to rip. It wanted you to rip it!

I believe the SIM Max is a neutral driver.....if you want help promoting a draw you should have bought either:

1) SIM driver and move the weight towards the heel

2) SIM MAX D driver....it's more draw bias as it's designed with more CG and weight towards the heel.

But no driver is going to fix a leak or slice.

But you believe that once one has the golf basics down....one not need lessons....so I'm confident you'll figure your swing issues out on your own to consistently draw the ball...especially as a 17 cap.😁

49 minutes ago, knott said:

It's easier to hit a draw with a draw biased driver.

Yes no doubt. Sim max in 9 degrees is Fade biased though. I was hitting constant straight bombs when trying ut out hence it convinced me. Also wonder about the Aerodynamic shape of the underside of it and how it affects the club path. 

I usually do figure my gear out though. I am fascinated that lower handicappers dont believe they can figure out things on their own but I dont judge and particularly not on handicap. 

17 minutes ago, knott said:

Also wonder about the Aerodynamic shape of the underside of it and how it affects the club path. 

Seems like thread for 2020 goals is going a bit off topic here. Doubt the shape of the underside of the club has any influence at all on your path. The club is a static object being moved by your swing, and the club path is a result of the swing which is providing far more force on the club head than any differential pressures/turbulence/etc. created by club aerodynamics. Ball flight simply follows the ball flight rules. If you are hitting a fade/slice, the face is open to the path.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, knott said:

Yes no doubt. Sim max in 9 degrees is Fade biased though. I was hitting constant straight bombs when trying ut out hence it convinced me. Also wonder about the Aerodynamic shape of the underside of it and how it affects the club path. 

I usually do figure my gear out though. I am fascinated that lower handicappers dont believe they can figure out things on their own but I dont judge and particularly not on handicap. 

Off topic. Please either discuss your goals or go to some other thread to state your musings.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to knott's Stubborn Takes on Golf, Particularly Instruction
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, knott said:

Is that troll move number three or number four for you?

At no point did I say "It's harder to create a draw with a draw biased driver."

You said it was "much easier" and I said no, and pointed out why it's not "much" easier - the CG location shifts a few mm, and that's about all that's done in "fade-biased drivers."

The changes you need to make are mechanical, to your golf swing.

5 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

But you believe that once one has the golf basics down....one not need lessons....so I'm confident you'll figure your swing issues out on your own to consistently draw the ball...especially as a 17 cap.😁

Yeah, no kidding. Should be a piece of cake. After all, @knott has said that "there is little point to lessons" [once you've learned the basics] and that "you can fine tune the rest yourself with ease."

So, that seems like a pretty lame goal to have created, because nobody knows your body better, so just make it draw. Should take you, what, a week?

4 hours ago, knott said:

Yes no doubt. Sim max in 9 degrees is Fade biased though.

Again, just a few mm of CG location. My driver is a fade biased driver too. I draw it, typically.

4 hours ago, knott said:

I am fascinated that lower handicappers dont believe they can figure out things on their own but I dont judge and particularly not on handicap. 

Troll tactic number four or five?

Nobody has said this.

Nobody.

Again, I'll point out that even the best in the game — PGA Tour players — regularly get instruction.

People have said that they can figure things out better, faster with good instruction. Yes, you might stumble down the right road and fix yourself and get better, but odds are it'll take longer and you're going to make a lot more false steps than working with a good instructor.

And that assumes you even start going down the right road to begin with. Many golfers would go down the wrong road.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

And that assumes you even start going down the right road to begin with. Many golfers would go down the wrong road.

Given the years of bad information from magazines, golf commentators, etc.. I would say it is highly likely that golfers go down a wrong road. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Given the years of bad information from magazines, golf commentators, etc.. I would say it is highly likely that golfers go down a wrong road. 

Exactly.

23 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This is pretty much what screwed me up for life.

- Shane

8 hours ago, knott said:

Also wonder about the Aerodynamic shape of the underside of it and how it affects the club path. 

Lol! Good luck with going at it on your own. All the best to ya.🙂

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!