anaveragehacker

Looking for Help Identifying a Washington, DC Area Course

31 posts / 3161 viewsLast Reply

Ok. It's very hard to remember details from so long ago, and memory can be unreliable, but here's what I remember for sure:

1. 1997-2002

2. the 10th tee was way elevated, so much so that instead of leaving after 9 as my wife asked me to do since we had plans, I went first to the 10th tee box and hit two balls to see how far they would go form that high tee, then left them there and left.It wasn't like the top of a mountain, but it was pretty elevated.

3. The parking lot was shaded.

4. The rest of the course was mostly non-descript, and I don't remember much, except one of the middle holes (4th, 5th or 6th) had thick woods on both sides (not evergreens).

I think you drove through woods to enter the course, but not certain.

The most important detail is the one I can't remember - where was this? My memory is telling me that it had DC-area prices even though it was an average course, although I actually spent a lot more time in the Laurel area at that time.

That's the best I got.

That’s Enterprise golf course. Their 10th is very elevated. Does that sound familiar? Rest of the course is ok. Do you remember anything about the practice area?

Looked at their site. This may be it. I did stay in the Laurel-Bowie area a lot. Perhaps my memory of being in the DC area was because it was the first time I played down there. I played Bowie and others several times over a few years. That 10th tee sounds like a dead ringer, and the parking lot photo looks like I remember. Memory can be a funny thing, but I'm going to assume this IS the course and see if they have a ball to add to my collection. Thanks for all your input.

14 minutes ago, anaveragehacker said:

Looked at their site. This may be it. I did stay in the Laurel-Bowie area a lot. Perhaps my memory of being in the DC area was because it was the first time I played down there. I played Bowie and others several times over a few years. That 10th tee sounds like a dead ringer, and the parking lot photo looks like I remember. Memory can be a funny thing, but I'm going to assume this IS the course and see if they have a ball to add to my collection. Thanks for all your input.

One last question. Do you remember a house behind the tee box? Also if you want I can grab a ball for you and mail it to you. That’s prolly the only way you will get it.  

Can't remember a house or not. But if you could mail me a ball that would be awesome:

Spoiler

Dan Roland, 54 Culver St, Somerset NJ 08873.

Let me know how to play you for it. Do you have Venmo or Paypal?

Edited by iacas
I'd recommend not doing that.

Bruh I’m not going to take your money. It’s no big deal. I also collect balls from the courses I have played so I get it. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Sounds like you got your course pegged, but just to throw another ember into the fire I recall another area course with an elevated 10th tee.  Blue Ridge Shadows in VA fits the bill.  Pretty decent course too.

6 hours ago, art_lipchalk said:

Sounds like you got your course pegged, but just to throw another ember into the fire I recall another area course with an elevated 10th tee.  Blue Ridge Shadows in VA fits the bill.  Pretty decent course too.

Well that is give or take almost 2 hours from where he was staying. Plus that 10th is a par 3 and he wouldn’t be using his driver. It’s also not elevated anywhere near what Enterprise is. Honestly it’s prolly close to a 50ft change. 

I am going to nominate Glenn Dale Golf Club; which is just outside the Beltway, northeast of DC. It is on hilly land and I know the firs hole was a 50 ft drop and likely the 10th hole as well since the Clubhouse sits on top of a hill. I played there at least twice in the last 10-15 years with a DC area league that ran competitions in the area. I used to drive down from Wilmington DE to meet up with my son and play.

The course closed in Aug 2019; but their facebook page is still up; search for Glenn Dale Golf Club

19 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

I am going to nominate Glenn Dale Golf Club; which is just outside the Beltway, northeast of DC. It is on hilly land and I know the firs hole was a 50 ft drop and likely the 10th hole as well since the Clubhouse sits on top of a hill. I played there at least twice in the last 10-15 years with a DC area league that ran competitions in the area. I used to drive down from Wilmington DE to meet up with my son and play.

The course closed in Aug 2019; but their facebook page is still up; search for Glenn Dale Golf Club

It’s not Glen Dale. The drop isn’t as severe as Enterprise. It’s basically the tee box then drops like 50 ft to the fairway. 

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards Enterprise, but from looking at the pictures it's possible it's Glen Dale. It was so long ago. I wish I had collected logo balls back then. It's tough to try to catch up.  I have a couple in Pa and the Orlando area I can't remember as well.