IGNORED

What’s Your Favorite Stats to Use?

Vespidae
Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Pace them off after you putt it.

Or just estimate with spot checks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Frank F said:

Greens in Regulation is the barometer that I go by followed by putts per hole.

Putts per hole is the most useless and potentially misleading statistic there is.

Miss 18 greens and be a foot off each one but less than 30 feet from the hole and end up with 25 putts means you've putted and chipped very poorly.

Be on the green in regulation on every hole but never closer than 20 feet and have 36 putts and you may well have putted very well.

AS for GIR, it depends on the conditions and how long/short the course is. On a difficult course you can be playing pretty good golf and only hit a few if any GIR, depending on your handicap.

Some of my best rounds have had 1 or 2 GIR but the weather has been so bad or the course playing so long that being near GIR is good going on most holes.

I also play some courses where half the members couldn't hit the green in regulation on some holes ever.

It is very silly for a weekend golfer to use statistics that are meaningful to pros and pros only.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

2 hours ago, Bob M said:

Short of pacing them off, which could get pretty tedious and add to slow play, how do you go about determining the distance of each first putt?

I pace off every putt and I am a fast player. I also use the process to 'feel' the green slope under my feet, especially near the hole (obviously being careful of other's line). It takes no time at all and will not contribute to slow play. With the feel under my feet, I am actually more confident of the break and spend less time optically confiming slope than some of my playing partners. 

Edited by Luv2kruz

1 minute ago, Luv2kruz said:

I pace off every putt and I am a fast player. I also use the process to 'feel' the green slope under my feet, especially near the hole (obviously being careful of other's line). It takes no time at all and will not contribute to slow play. With the feel under my feet, I am actually more confident of the break and spend less time optically confiming slope than some of my playing partners. 

I assume you do this during "downtime" on the green, when nobody is putting and not waiting until your turn to putt.  Trust me, pacing off a 30 footer, both ways for 60 feet, is time consuming.  But not if you do it while someone else is lining up a putt.

I estimate first putt length. When I first took AimPoint, we practiced estimating distance because it was part of the mid-read technique. It’s pretty easy once you break the putt into sections visually. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I assume you do this during "downtime" on the green, when nobody is putting and not waiting until your turn to putt.  Trust me, pacing off a 30 footer, both ways for 60 feet, is time consuming.  But not if you do it while someone else is lining up a putt.

Yes, eventually you learn when to do it in order not to slow down play and still get it done without feeling hurried. I walk fast am am usually the first to the green many times, so that helps too.

And by pacing, I simply walk to the pin and multiply by 3 ft/pace. Just in case anyone thinks otherwise. 

Edited by Luv2kruz

Good suggestions, particularly about how to deal with the length of first putt stat. I'm going to try this out tomorrow night during my 9-hole league. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

16 hours ago, Luv2kruz said:

And by pacing, I simply walk to the pin and multiply by 3 ft/pace. Just in case anyone thinks otherwise. 

Dang!  I thought you used a long carpenter's tape measure... which, as an aid, is probably illegal.  😁  Just kidding.  "Hey Bill, will you hold this end at the hole while I stretch the tape out to 30 feet?"

• Funny 1

12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Dang!  I thought you used a long carpenter's tape measure... which, as an aid, is probably illegal.  😁  Just kidding.  "Hey Bill, will you hold this end at the hole while I stretch the tape out to 30 feet?"

I've seen a guy do the toe/heal/toe/heal thing so that's why I was just making sure😉

Scoring?  :whistle:

• Funny 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 1047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!