IGNORED

What’s Your Favorite Stats to Use?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I hit a high number of GIR's, I rarely have a bad round, compared to my typical game.

GIR, nGIR and average club hit into the green (Yep, I keep track of that)...

I go by the "Dammit" rule for putting.  You know when you miss a putt you should have made.  And then you utter it.   5 "Dammits" a round puts me in the "Crap" category for putting.  Zero "Dammits" an

Posted Images

(edited)
On 3/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Frank F said:

Greens in Regulation is the barometer that I go by followed by putts per hole.

Putts per hole is the most useless and potentially misleading statistic there is.

Miss 18 greens and be a foot off each one but less than 30 feet from the hole and end up with 25 putts means you've putted and chipped very poorly.

Be on the green in regulation on every hole but never closer than 20 feet and have 36 putts and you may well have putted very well.

AS for GIR, it depends on the conditions and how long/short the course is. On a difficult course you can be playing pretty good golf and only hit a few if any GIR, depending on your handicap.

Some of my best rounds have had 1 or 2 GIR but the weather has been so bad or the course playing so long that being near GIR is good going on most holes.

I also play some courses where half the members couldn't hit the green in regulation on some holes ever.

It is very silly for a weekend golfer to use statistics that are meaningful to pros and pros only.

Edited by Shorty

(edited)
2 hours ago, Bob M said:

Short of pacing them off, which could get pretty tedious and add to slow play, how do you go about determining the distance of each first putt?

I pace off every putt and I am a fast player. I also use the process to 'feel' the green slope under my feet, especially near the hole (obviously being careful of other's line). It takes no time at all and will not contribute to slow play. With the feel under my feet, I am actually more confident of the break and spend less time optically confiming slope than some of my playing partners. 

Edited by Luv2kruz

1 minute ago, Luv2kruz said:

I pace off every putt and I am a fast player. I also use the process to 'feel' the green slope under my feet, especially near the hole (obviously being careful of other's line). It takes no time at all and will not contribute to slow play. With the feel under my feet, I am actually more confident of the break and spend less time optically confiming slope than some of my playing partners. 

I assume you do this during "downtime" on the green, when nobody is putting and not waiting until your turn to putt.  Trust me, pacing off a 30 footer, both ways for 60 feet, is time consuming.  But not if you do it while someone else is lining up a putt.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I estimate first putt length. When I first took AimPoint, we practiced estimating distance because it was part of the mid-read technique. It’s pretty easy once you break the putt into sections visually. 

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I assume you do this during "downtime" on the green, when nobody is putting and not waiting until your turn to putt.  Trust me, pacing off a 30 footer, both ways for 60 feet, is time consuming.  But not if you do it while someone else is lining up a putt.

Yes, eventually you learn when to do it in order not to slow down play and still get it done without feeling hurried. I walk fast am am usually the first to the green many times, so that helps too.

And by pacing, I simply walk to the pin and multiply by 3 ft/pace. Just in case anyone thinks otherwise. 

Edited by Luv2kruz

Good suggestions, particularly about how to deal with the length of first putt stat. I'm going to try this out tomorrow night during my 9-hole league. 

16 hours ago, Luv2kruz said:

And by pacing, I simply walk to the pin and multiply by 3 ft/pace. Just in case anyone thinks otherwise. 

Dang!  I thought you used a long carpenter's tape measure... which, as an aid, is probably illegal.  😁  Just kidding.  "Hey Bill, will you hold this end at the hole while I stretch the tape out to 30 feet?"

• Funny 1

12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Dang!  I thought you used a long carpenter's tape measure... which, as an aid, is probably illegal.  😁  Just kidding.  "Hey Bill, will you hold this end at the hole while I stretch the tape out to 30 feet?"

I've seen a guy do the toe/heal/toe/heal thing so that's why I was just making sure😉

You don't use a string to see who's shot is the closest to the hole?  😄