nevets88

Graphic - Face Contact Location and Corresponding Strokes Gained

22 posts / 689 viewsLast Reply

1 hour ago, Killa said:

I was a bit surprised because when I was watching Erik Anders Lang fit for a Miura golf club the master smith said that the sweet spot is more towards the hosel. 

Yeah I think there's some confusion here - I think the op link is discussing irons, where the sweet spot is perhaps just slightly towards the heel. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/31/2020 at 4:01 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

In theory there is no such thing as a shanked drive. You have to have a hosel that will interfere with the ball.  Though I defer to Vinsk on this topic.

Funny - just looked at the head of my driver and you’re right, not shankable because of the way hosel is attached with no protrusion.  

That said, I struck the hosel on one of my old drivers enough times to break several shafts (before lessons started).

7 hours ago, Killa said:

I was a bit surprised because when I was watching Erik Anders Lang fit for a Miura golf club the master smith said that the sweet spot is more towards the hosel. 

The exact location of the sweet spot differs from club to club - the reason you see some irons with tungsten inserts in the toe is to correct for what you're talking about.

The chart in the OP is nowhere near granular enough to show the exact location of the sweet spot, though.

EDIT: Having now watched the video ... yeah, he doesn't know what the sweet spot is. (The Erik guy, not Miura). If you ever find that club's sweet spot is in the spot where the mark on that iron was when the voiceover was saying that's where the sweet spot is, throw it directly in the trash. That's unplayably close to the hosel. 

There's nothing mystical about the sweet spot. It's just the CG. if you have a wedge or an iron handy, juggle a golf ball on it - the spot, roughly in the middle, that feels the softest and doesn't make the club want to twist in your hands in the sweet spot. That's all there is to it. 

Topped shots dont cost much that appears to be quite accurate. Quite the opposite on short approach shots there it would be the equivalent of the shank!