Jump to content
louisfr

Beginner but Want to Do Fitting?

19 posts / 1170 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I am a high handicapper that has just started out playing and I am hitting 100-110 on the course these first few weeks I have started to take things more serious (started last year, but didn’t get to it with club membership etc until now).

Is it stupid for me to do a iron fitting, while still having a bit of a inconsistent swing which makes Maybe 3/10 shots get topped/thinned?

I am right now 32 in handicap but I do not think it tells my whole game as I just started out registrating my rounds etc.

Any input?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, louisfr said:

I am a high handicapper that has just started out playing and I am hitting 100-110 on the course these first few weeks I have started to take things more serious (started last year, but didn’t get to it with club membership etc until now).

Is it stupid for me to do a iron fitting, while still having a bit of a inconsistent swing which makes Maybe 3/10 shots get topped/thinned?

I am right now 32 in handicap but I do not think it tells my whole game as I just started out registrating my rounds etc.

Any input?

There’s no reason you can’t get fitted. Be honest with the fitter and don’t try to change your swing during the fitting. If it’s a good fitter he/she will be able to get enough info to fit you to a proper club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A basic fitting is never a bad idea to give you a better idea of what works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay! So even if I am not that consistent with my hits on the golf ball, a fitting is still very good for me to do?

what I am afraid of is that when I have gotten more consistent in my hits the fitted clubs won’t be as fitted for me anymore, which might lead to me needing a new fitting in a year or so... could that be a problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, louisfr said:

Okay! So even if I am not that consistent with my hits on the golf ball, a fitting is still very good for me to do?

what I am afraid of is that when I have gotten more consistent in my hits the fitted clubs won’t be as fitted for me anymore, which might lead to me needing a new fitting in a year or so... could that be a problem? 

There is a 3rd option. Go get fit, but don't buy new clubs that have been fit for you quite yet. Use the fitting to learn about your game, and maybe to search for used clubs that may be a great fit or really close to what the professional recommended.

It may feel like a waste of money to get fit and then not buy clubs, as it isn't cheap, but the amount that you will learn about your swing and tendencies might make it completely worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, louisfr said:

 

Okay! So even if I am not that consistent with my hits on the golf ball, a fitting is still very good for me to do?

 

Your results may not be consistent..but your swing most likely is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are some basic elements that are essential in any fitting that aren't sexy or fun (ie shiny new heads and exotic upgrade shafts), but are by far the most important ones. Those include length, grip size, and lie angle. Everyone should have those dialed in regardless of ability as they will help everyone and don't change as a player progresses usually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Adam C said:

There are some basic elements that are essential in any fitting that aren't sexy or fun (ie shiny new heads and exotic upgrade shafts), but are by far the most important ones. Those include length, grip size, and lie angle. Everyone should have those dialed in regardless of ability as they will help everyone and don't change as a player progresses usually.

Absolutely! I also have a driver with a stiff-shaft on it and I have no clue if it's helping me or not (bought second hand). But maybe I should get fitted for what lie etc I need and then customize the clubs I have right now, they are Mizuno JPX 850s. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Your results may not be consistent..but your swing most likely is.

Thank you! This cleared things up for me. My lie, grip, length or even swing speed won't become MUCH different from what it is now, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, louisfr said:

Thank you! This cleared things up for me. My lie, grip, length or even swing speed won't become MUCH different from what it is now, right?

@Vinsk didnt mean that your swing wont change over time, he meant that right now even though your results aren't consistent between consecutive strokes (ie back to back 7 irons), your swing most likely didn't change very much between those two strokes. 

Especially if you take lessons and since you are a new golfer, things like swing speed and possibly lie angle will change over time. When you said grip, if you are talking about how you grip the club, that will most likely change too, but if you were talking about the actual grips themselves, that's a largely person preference, up to you if that changes over time. Length might be the one that doesn't change much over time, if you need clubs that are +3/4" now, good chances are in 5 years you'll still need clubs longer than standard.

I like @Bonvivant's recommendation to get fit so you know what specs fit you best, then buy something used. Example, if you get fit for the SIM Max irons in a stiff flex steel shaft and 1 degree upright, you would probably be fine buying a couple year old model of Game Improvement irons from any of the major manufacturers as long as it had a stiff flex shaft and you got them bent 1 degree upright. Then in maybe like 3-5 years once you have a better golf swing and have some lessons under your belt, then you can go back and do a full fitting with the intention of buying a new set if you wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, klineka said:

I like @Bonvivant's recommendation to get fit so you know what specs fit you best, then buy something used. Example, if you get fit for the SIM Max irons in a stiff flex steel shaft and 1 degree upright, you would probably be fine buying a couple year old model of Game Improvement irons from any of the major manufacturers as long as it had a stiff flex shaft and you got them bent 1 degree upright. Then in maybe like 3-5 years once you have a better golf swing and have some lessons under your belt, then you can go back and do a full fitting with the intention of buying a new set if you wish.

This example is exactly what I was talking about. Knowing an optimal shaft range and lie angle will do loads more good than buying a 1000 dollar set of shiny new irons. The fitting may cost 150, and finding used clubs could take a little bit of time, but you should be able to find something for under 400 bucks maybe a lot less if you know the right places to look, keeping cost at about half or maybe less.

This is particularly good if you start taking lessons, as your swing may change a lot over a year or two of consistent lessons. If you buy the new ones now, they could be no good for you in a year or two, and I promise that you'd lose money on it. This swing change stuff doesn't always happen, but sometimes it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, Adam C said:

There are some basic elements that are essential in any fitting that aren't sexy or fun (ie shiny new heads and exotic upgrade shafts), but are by far the most important ones. Those include length, grip size, and lie angle. Everyone should have those dialed in regardless of ability as they will help everyone and don't change as a player progresses usually.

I was going to say something similar about getting the basics covered. At this point you really want to know if you equipment is appropriate for you and don't need an in-depth fitting to do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And...you might meet a guy who will be your go to guy down the road...we were introduced to a fitter. Ended up buying from him...irons and wedges... Still using them...got all kinds of good golf info from him..picked up a used set of ping eye 2's last year for $100...brought to my guy (his house is his temporary covid 19 shop) and got my grips and extra wrap put on in 20 minutes while I waited. He fitted me for a driver three years ago...all in $350 plus almost three hours of time with him.

You'll learn about swing speed, what shafts are probably best for you, lie...ask a ton of questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, louisfr said:

Absolutely! I also have a driver with a stiff-shaft on it and I have no clue if it's helping me or not (bought second hand). But maybe I should get fitted for what lie etc I need and then customize the clubs I have right now, they are Mizuno JPX 850s. 

Thank you! This cleared things up for me. My lie, grip, length or even swing speed won't become MUCH different from what it is now, right?

Those Mizuno's are good sticks and can easily be modified to what you need most likely. Length and grip size will not change unless you decide down the road to go off book because of arthritis or injury etc. Swing speed will in theory go up with better technique and practice but usually not so much that you would need to totally change flexes. Lie angle might change but can always be adjusted. Mizuno's can usually be bent easily so you can adjust as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Adam C said:

Those Mizuno's are good sticks and can easily be modified to what you need most likely. Length and grip size will not change unless you decide down the road to go off book because of arthritis or injury etc. Swing speed will in theory go up with better technique and practice but usually not so much that you would need to totally change flexes. Lie angle might change but can always be adjusted. Mizuno's can usually be bent easily so you can adjust as needed.

Okay great!! I won’t be looking for spending a lot on new irons yet then.

The best option seems to be as @Bonvivant wrote. Get fitted, get lie angle fixed on my current clubs as they are fine right now and be on the lookout for used clubs with right angles.

There is lie angle, but what is it more that they can change in my current clubs? Length and shaft?

 

Thanks all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, louisfr said:

There is lie angle, but what is it more that they can change in my current clubs? Length and shaft?

Depends on how much you want to spend. Something to keep in mind with length changes is that swing weight will change, so it may not feel the same afterwards.

Loft can be changed as easily as lie, but clubs are generally designed with proper bounce and changing lofts alter this. Ex. you want more distance so you bend them stronger, but that means you are losing bounce and making the leading edge "sharper". Weakening them isn't as bad usually, but most people don't want thing direction. Another thing with loft is that as someone that is new, you really don't need to worry about it since priority number one is striking the ball consistently, not playing around with gapping and distances.

Shafts can be changed, but that means $$$. If you end up buying 8 shafts at 50 a pop then it would probably be cheaper to find a used set with the shaft you want.

Grips are a fairly easy change and can be done on your own if you are a bit handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming the current shafts are not wildly wrong for you (way too stiff or soft, heavy or light) you can just extend or cut them down. In my shop I charge $10 per club to change the length and regrip so figure that comes out to $16 per club depending on the grip you want. Lie angle changes are $5 per club.

A full reshaft is $25 plus the cost of the shafts and grips.

Just to give you an idea on pricing. Of course that is in USA, not sure what prices difference would be where you are located.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget is an issue for many but getting the correct club set-up will make the game more enjoyable and thus you will be less likely to give up in frustration.  If you can't find used clubs you might consider some lower-end clubs that are the correct fit for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any golfer can get fitted for their golf clubs, it's a matter of how much you'll be getting out of the fitting session.

For a relatively new golfer to the game, the benefit might not be as obvious as someone have been playing the game for awhile.  How can you fit a golfer when the golfer's game is still evolving and changing ?  So, you might get some benefit out of the equipment fitting if you don't expect the fitting to change your game drastically.

I caution using the word drastically, because going from a 12 handicap index to an 8 is a drastic change in relative short time.  Going from a 23 index to a 15 in one season is drastic.  Going from an 8 index  to a 2 will also be drastic in a short timing.

Most the golfers will never drop below a double digit index if they're only the weekend warriors .

Imagine giving a relatively new driver a world class sports car..... how much can the driver do with it ?   But.... if one has the dough to blow, why not pretend he is the F1 driver.

Edited by Release

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...