Jump to content
Bonvivant

Should Lines On Ball Be Illegal?

Ball alignment  

55 members have voted

  1. 1. Should extended lines drawn on to the ball and used for alignment be prohibited?

    • Yes. It's against the spirit of the rules.
      9
    • No. You should be able to draw what you want on your ball.
      46


121 posts / 4140 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:25 AM, saevel25 said:

Umm... did you read my post... I said, I didn't see any benefit from it. 

No idea why you are calling me an outlier. 

not you.. the "you" there was the people who were coming in to say "Oh, I putt much better with it", they are the outliers if they actually do and it is not just confirmation bias, sorry about the confusion there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

not you.. the "you" there was the people who were coming in to say "Oh, I putt much better with it", they are the outliers if they actually do and it is not just confirmation bias, sorry about the confusion there.

Ok, it's just you quoted me, so I thought you were talking to me. No problem! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A.  It’s ridiculous to consider a drawn line on the ball to be an “object” as meant in the rules.  So no, it shouldn’t be illegal.

B.  Draw anything you like, just don’t slow down pace of play with your alignment routine.  Hell, I know knuckleheads who spend time aligning their ball on the freaking tee!

C.  However you do it, at least mark your ball for identification.  Too many still don’t do that... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read the article.  I voted yes although, as the article says, it is sort of murky with respect to the rules.  But I do believe it slows up play and doubt it allows very many if any to putt better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ghalfaire said:

I read the article.  I voted yes although, as the article says, it is sort of murky with respect to the rules.  But I do believe it slows up play and doubt it allows very many if any to putt better.

Whether or not a line is drawn on the ball won't affect how slow someone lines up their putt.  Imagine a scenario where you aren't allowed to draw a line (let's not get into the particulars about the definition of a line and enforcing that).  Won't players who believe they need that line and are instead using a manufacturers logo or some other non-linear player marking take even more time on a method that is harder to use?

If people have an issue with slow play on the greens, I don't think the problem is the type of "alignment aid" on the ball.  The ability to aim your ball with any marking is the problem. There are already rules in place for slow play. No need to amend or add other rules for special cases of slow play.

And I actually don't think its murky.  A line on a ball is not an object.  A line is a marking on an object.  And that object is required to play the shot.  And it is explicitly permissible to pick up and replace that object on the green in whatever orientation is preferred.  If this is still considered murky, I'd suggest amending the rule which forbids the alignment aid to specifically exclude the ball from consideration as an object. Or stated another way, the ball is the only permissible object to be used as an alignment aid. No more grey area, no more discussions about issues that most people here don't even seem to think give golfers and advantage anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

 Draw anything you like, just don’t slow down pace of play with your alignment routine.  Hell, I know knuckleheads who spend time aligning their ball on the freaking tee!

By definition, lining it up slows down pace of play. 

@iacas, I think that the mental disconnect that I am having is that I consider the ball an object. The ball itself isn't an alignment aid but the line makes it one if you are lining it up with your intended path (at least in my head). 

"(3) No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. A player must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down by or for the player to help in lining up his or her feet or body, such as a club set down on the ground to show the line of playLine of Play: The line where the player intends his or her ball to go after a stroke, including the area on that line that is a reasonable distance up above the ground and on either side of that line.(...Continued)."

I made the key words in my head bold. As I read it, using a line on a ball is illegal and should be a 2 stroke or loss of hole penalty. Can you help me understand why the ball (with a line) isn't covered under "any object"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Can you help me understand why the ball (with a line) isn't covered under "any object"

Because that would violate "The Spirit of The Rule".

Just kidding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hopefully the folks on this site who use the lines on their ball for putting, lining the lines up 2-3 times see themselves in these threads... and stop!  You're slow and you're pissing the rest of us off (as golfing partners), legal or not legal. Line it up once.  When you get over the ball to putt and realize your friggin' lines are off by one-half degree just fix it on the fly in a subconscious change in your putting stroke.  All is good.  You weren't going to make it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

By definition, lining it up slows down pace of play. 

@iacas, I think that the mental disconnect that I am having is that I consider the ball an object. The ball itself isn't an alignment aid but the line makes it one if you are lining it up with your intended path (at least in my head). 

"(3) No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. A player must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down by or for the player to help in lining up his or her feet or body, such as a club set down on the ground to show the line of playLine of Play: The line where the player intends his or her ball to go after a stroke, including the area on that line that is a reasonable distance up above the ground and on either side of that line.(...Continued)."

I made the key words in my head bold. As I read it, using a line on a ball is illegal and should be a 2 stroke or loss of hole penalty. Can you help me understand why the ball (with a line) isn't covered under "any object"

 

In your use of this definition, the line on the ball is irrelevant.  You're saying you don't want the ball, or anything on the ball, to aid in alignment.  The nature of the marking should make no difference if you want to use this rule to make a line illegal.  Everything on a ball would have to be illegal.

Now if you want to get really into what that rule is saying, it specifically says "help in lining up his or her feet or body."  I think it is reasonable to say that a round ball, even with a line on it, does minimal help to aligning ones feet, and body.  And the example of a club set down on the ground is another clue that the objects being talked about are external to the ones required to take a shot.  The ball is a required object that is explicitly permissible to be replaced on the green in any orientation.

I'll maintain that if clarity on this rule is needed, it should explicitly make it clear that markings on a ball are not considered an object in this definition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, bweiss711 said:

In your use of this definition, the line on the ball is irrelevant.  You're saying you don't want the ball, or anything on the ball, to aid in alignment.  The nature of the marking should make no difference if you want to use this rule to make a line illegal.  Everything on a ball would have to be illegal.

Markings would still be allowed the way I am reading it, but you wouldn't be allowed to place the ball in an orientation that aids you in aligning the shot. Between "place any object" and "to show the line of play" is enough for me to think that this is already illegal. Obviously I am missing something about why it is currently allowed.

I agree that the nature of the marking doesn't make a difference but everything on the ball would be illegal to USE (or be placed) in alignment aiding along the line of play.

I am really struggling this and just want clarification on how the ball doesn't fall under "any object", because if it does, then it shouldn't be allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I agree that the nature of the marking doesn't make a difference but everything on the ball would be illegal to USE (or be placed) in alignment aiding along the line of play.

Interpretation 14.2c/1 specifically allows you to line "align" some marking on the ball when you replace it.   The example is aligning the trademark, but it would apply equally to any other marking on the ball.  This very specific permission overrides any more general prohibition elsewhere in the rules.  That's how Rules work, with generalities, and then more specific (overriding) exceptions.

This isn't too dissimilar to the idea of "play it as it lies."  Generally, you may not ever intentionally move your ball during the play of a hole, other than by striking it with a club.  Then there are exceptions, a bunch of specific circumstances where you have specific permission to move it, in a specified manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Can you help me understand why the ball (with a line) isn't covered under "any object"

An object is something you can pick up, move independent of the ball. You can’t pick up a line on a golf ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Hmmm... stand-up putters, that you can stand behind, with lines on top, are legal.  Where do those factor in???

Check out this Interpretation:

10.2b(3)/1 – Setting Clubhead on Ground Behind Ball to Help the Player Take a Stance is Allowed

I didn't quote the rest hoping that you'll do the look-up on your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

An object is something you can pick up, move independent of the ball. You can’t pick up a line on a golf ball. 

I didn't know that the ball can't be an object. Can you show me this?

 

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Interpretation 14.2c/1 specifically allows you to line "align" some marking on the ball when you replace it.   The example is aligning the trademark, but it would apply equally to any other marking on the ball.  This very specific permission overrides any more general prohibition elsewhere in the rules.  That's how Rules work, with generalities, and then more specific (overriding) exceptions.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Clearly from my previous statements you could probably tell that I don't like this rule after reading it, but I can at least accept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Clearly from my previous statements you could probably tell that I don't like this rule after reading it, but I can at least accept it.

We understand. 
For example. I don't like cake, but I can at least accept it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. Clearly from my previous statements you could probably tell that I don't like this rule after reading it, but I can at least accept it.

There are a few rules that I don't care for, but that's life.  Overall, I think they're pretty remarkable, and the 2019 changes made most things much more consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

Maybe we should go back to the Vardon Gutta Percha Balls. Wait, upon further inspection this only confuses the issue. Looks like a built in alignment aid to me. Time to move on from this topic. 

image.jpeg.4ca5af6e2f130013162094e0f99863cf.jpeg

I'm pretty sure all golf balls have seams on the cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Putting out only slows things down if everyone in the group isn't doing anything except watching AND the players are taking excessive time to read the putts. I've played rounds in under 3 hours with a walking foursome where everything was holed. I strongly doubt that 30 minutes of that was putts inside 3 feet. Maybe 10 minutes would be my guess. Well worth it for getting a valid score instead of the pseudo score you get with a gimme system. The problem I see is that too many people emulate the pros and take far too long for all shots, including the 3ft and under range.
    • Played Chambers Bay in a pro am today from the Sand tees. Shot -5, 67. 3 putted my last hole too because I knew what I needed to do to tie for the lead for pros and I babied it.  Full swing, honestly, didn’t feel quite there today. I made a lot of good putts though. Driver was mediocre, irons were good, wedges were off. Definitely pleased about the score. Will work to keep it going!
    • There's only one time the 50-foot gimme is acceptable, and we all know why he gave her the putt, and I think many of us agree with the reasoning.  This is correct, and my comment from yesterday was not.  I used medal play to refer to tournament medal play, where the holes do have to be finished.  When posting for a handicap, most likely score is correct.   In fact, that difference is part of why I joined a club in the first place:  to have a chance to play rounds where my 5' putts weren't hit back to me, and then I was made to feel a bit like a jerk for insisting on playing them out.  Seemed to happen a lot, so I joined a club that played the ball out.  Now that I look back, I wonder how common it was. 
    • Day 102.  Ten minutes in the practice room after work;  6-iron, off a mat, indoors, into a net, real balls (when one was involved). 
    • I play the forward tee at my club at 5900yd/73.3/140. My husband usually plays the regular tees at 6900yd/72.2/142. He played the forward tees a few times and he did not find it any easier nor did he magically shave off strokes to break 80 (he is normally in the mid/high 80s). He was disappointed because he expected a shorter course to be easier but it required him to use clubs that he normally wouldn’t  use and he got into hazards that normally weren’t in play. Eventhough he was playing the same course, teeing forward was a completely different game for him. I have played at my previous club a few times - forward tee was 5100yd/68.4/127. I expected to play better but didn’t for the same reasons as my husband.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 3puttmaster
      3puttmaster
      (36 years old)
    2. Ed
      Ed
      (55 years old)
    3. Elisa Marton
      Elisa Marton
      (28 years old)
    4. Jorge L
      Jorge L
      (42 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...