IGNORED

Hollow Body Irons and Forgiveness

Note: This thread is 1358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I went to a demo day and tried out PING and Mizuno irons. 
I am a 10-11 handicapper playing PING i20, and I am looking for something more forgiving.
The G410 were extremely easy to hit and straight, but then I tried MP-20 HMB and to my surprise they were as forgiving as G410.
(And the feel was great in the HMB; the G410 felt good enough but no wow factor.)

Now, my question is: could there be said anything general about hollowbacks (as the HMB) and forgiveness?
Where do they "rank" in forgiveness, for example compared to clubs like i210 and G410?

(Unfortunately I did not try PING i500 which is also a hollowback, and not as expensive as the HMB).

Thanks for any input!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barnum1 said:

Hi,

I am a 10-11 handicapper playing PING i20, and I am looking for something more forgiving.
The G410 were extremely easy to hit and straight, but then I tried MP-20 HMB and to my surprise they were as forgiving as G410.
(And the feel was great in the HMB; the G410 felt good enough but no wow factor.)

Now, my question is: could there be said anything general about hollowbacks (as the HMB) and forgiveness?
Where do they "rank" in forgiveness, for example compared to clubs like i210 and G410?

(Unfortunately I did not try PING i500 which is also a hollowback, and not as expensive as the HMB).

Thanks for any input!

I wouldn’t say there’s a significant forgiveness factor. The hollow backs apparently help with ball speed thus helping with distance while still allowing the club to perform as expected for its loft. 
I can say you’d probably like the Ping i500 irons. I played them for awhile but ultimately preferred the softer feel the i200’s had.

I currently play the Callaway Mavrik Pros which are my favorite of all time. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, barnum1 said:

Hi,

Thanks for any input!

So I don't have Mizuno's you referenced but I have hit them and played Mizuno in past (love the feel of Mizunos). I do currently game the I500 and have played/owned the I210.

My two cents is that the I210's feel better but are a little less forgiving on my off-center strikes than the I500's. I get good distance or let me say it this way, consistent distances regarding my less than perfect ball strikes with the I500's. Enough of a difference that I went with them for my long/mid irons.

The hollow back design I guess spreads the weight around a little better producing higher MOI. But I will be the first to say, the I500's do not feel as good to me as the I210's and definitely not like the Mizunos. At least to me. My decision was based purely on distance control and I am very happy to date with the I500's. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• billchao changed the title to Hollow Body Irons and Forgiveness
Note: This thread is 1358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!