golfindude1

How Much Does The Tightness Level of your Grip Influence Club Position at Impact and Swing Path?

6 posts / 691 viewsLast Reply

9 minutes ago, golfindude1 said:

golf is a sport that requires attention to the littlest of details.

And...paying attention to the littlest of details can wreck one’s swing something awful.🙂

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been over this article before, and I was happy to do it again. Nothing in the article mentions grip, and when it comes to ball flight "laws", or more correctly "impact", grip means nothing at all. More specific to the 7 impact criteria (ground contact, face contact, clubface direction, club speed, swing path, angle of attack, and dynamic loft), none of them have to do with how much pressure your fingers/hands put on the club.

I am assuming that you think that your grip is too tight (most golfers do). Read this and change your own mind.

If the club isn't flying out of your hands and your knuckles aren't white, you are probably in the good zone.

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

And...paying attention to the littlest of details can wreck one’s swing something awful.🙂

What I mean by "paying attention to the littlest of details" comes from the "5 S's of Great Practice" article. Based of of that, I wanted to focus on shortening my swing and making sure that reaching the A4 doesn't look whippy. To aid that new swing, I came up with a technique to ensure that I get a feel of the A3 which is the perfect time for me to cup my wrists to the maximum ability. So far, I feel like I've done a good job. I'm just looking for new things to work on once I'm confident in my new swing.

15 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I've been over this article before, and I was happy to do it again. Nothing in the article mentions grip, and when it comes to ball flight "laws", or more correctly "impact", grip means nothing at all. More specific to the 7 impact criteria (ground contact, face contact, clubface direction, club speed, swing path, angle of attack, and dynamic loft), none of them have to do with how much pressure your fingers/hands put on the club.

I am assuming that you think that your grip is too tight (most golfers do). Read this and change your own mind.

If the club isn't flying out of your hands and your knuckles aren't white, you are probably in the good zone.

I've read this article before and had decided to make my grip more firm next time I'm swinging the club.

The reason I ask is if the level of tightness influences how much twist one will apply to the clubface. Through the past few rounds the direction of where I hit the ball is inconsistent. Well, I guess, it must me something that's not grip then.

Thank you for clearing things up though.

Something I noticed regarding grip regardless of how I grip the club at address... with standard size grips I tend to regrip the club and close the club face during my swing. With midsize grips I do not.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • Is there an estimated course rating/slope?
    • Okay, a couple of things. 1. To clarify the earlier stuff about the wrist hinge stuff, it used to be that you'd hinge immediately and this threw off some parts of the backswing. It's just about how you start the backswing, not the first half or 2/3 of the backswing: 2. Can we get some video of what you're doing now, without the drills, to see? I think you're still on the right track, but I'd like to confirm.
    • I’m planning on playing tomorrow, and I may or may not decide to play the front tees, just to do something different. That got me thinking: have you ever played the forward tees at your home course? If so, how was it? What were the major differences between them and the tees you normally play? I’ve played the front tees on a few occasions, all in team practices. We played the back nine from the red tees once my freshman year, and I shot 46. This past season, we played holes 1, 2 and 9 where we played two-man teams, worst shot scramble from the reds. That was one of my favorite things we did during practice. We also did a 6-hole competition, playing the aforementioned loop twice. I shot +3, which was only two off the winning score. In terms of differences, it’s about a thousand-yard difference between the whites and reds (6063 white, 5044 red). Although it doesn’t make a huge difference on a lot of the holes, it will take a club or two off my approach, which is good because I’m usually stronger with the shorter irons. No. 4, Par 5. 345 red compared to 478 white. Although I don’t have to hit over the lake with the tee shot, I would still need to worry about trees on the right, OB left, and a bunker about 220 from the red tee. In a way, it may be a tougher hole from the reds than the whites because of how precise the tee shot has to be. In home matches here, we’ll sometimes play this hole from the reds, as a par 4.  No. 9, Par 5. 372 red compared to 442 white. Dogleg left hole, with a bunker at the corner of the dogleg. You can easily carry that bunker from the red tees, while shorter hitters need a good drive to get past it from the whites. No. 13, Par 4. This one is huge. 300 red compared to 421 white. A very tough par 4 from any tee but the reds. Still no pushover at 300 yards, but you can hit a 200-yard tee shot and it won’t hurt you at all. The same length tee shot from the whites will leave you with a difficult downhill lie for your second shot, so you need at least 220 or 230 from back there. No. 16, Par 5. 465 red compared to 523 white. From the white tees, the hole goes gradually downhill after the bunker on the right, which is 240 out. Most of my drives are a little bit short of that trap. From the reds, I can probably land my tee shot on that slope and get a bit of extra roll, leaving me 220, at most, into the green with a well-struck drive. No. 17, Par 4. Another huge difference. 256 red compared to 355 white. Not a tough hole from any tee box, but the reds make this a definite birdie opportunity, since I can get close to or on the putting surface with my tee shot. Because the hole is a dogleg, it’s probably only 240 or so on a straight line. I’ve driven the green before. No. 18, Par 3. Only 94 red compared to 157 white. This epic finishing hole has you hitting over a lake. It’s a mid or long iron from the back two tees, but only a wedge from the front two tees, meaning it’s an easier shot for me. If I play the reds, I think I could shoot low 80s, maybe high 70s if I have my A-game.
    • In an 18 hole round a guy or gal probably averages 6 to 8 gimme-length putts.  Half of those you can just rake in.  The other half, especially when they're an 18 incher, slick green, left to right... they're gonna read those putts, perhaps from both sides of the hole.  And then there are the practice swings.  And if they make it there's the victory dance!  All time consuming.
    • Seems like a lot.  I would have thought it'd be a quarter of that.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. 3puttmaster
      3puttmaster
      (36 years old)
    2. Ed
      Ed
      (55 years old)
    3. Elisa Marton
      Elisa Marton
      (28 years old)
    4. Jorge L
      Jorge L
      (42 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...