IGNORED

golfthyme's "Nuts" Topic

golfthyme
Note: This thread is 1042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

Putting: Harvey Penick! 
(Die at the hole)

Agree for putts outside 10'

37 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

Chipping & pitching: Paul Runyon! 
(Chip with 4 or 6 irons)

Meh, even chipping can benefit from the bounce of a wedge. Use a pitching wedge at the longest iron for chipping. 

Never use 4 or 6 irons for pitching. 

38 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

Irons: David Ledbetter! 
(Crisp iron shots)

Not a tip, but an outcome. 

38 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

Woods / driver: Adam Bazallgette! 
(Effortless swing) 

PGA Tour player swing hard. The effortless swing thing, to me sounds like a trick to try to mitigate amateurs having swing faults that may go really wrong if a golf swings hard. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

It’s called an effortless swing cos the goal is not to hit the ball or try to kill it! 

You dont think Bryson or Bubba or JT are trying to kill it? JT has been quoted (in the Altus Performance podcast, "Earn Your Edge") as saying that sometimes when he is feeling confident with his swing, he stands on the tee and his only thought is to hit the ball as hard as physically possible.

24 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

but a style of finesse. The goal is to perform a beautiful effortless swing! 

The goal is to shoot the lowest score, regardless of how much effort it looks like you are putting into your swing.

4 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

I don’t own a wedge

So the highest lofted club in your bag is a 9 iron? 

How do you play greenside bunker shots?

What about a 30-40 yard pitch shot from the rough to an elevated green short sided with no way to run the ball up low?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

12 minutes ago, klineka said:

How do you play greenside bunker shots?

What about a 30-40 yard pitch shot from the rough to an elevated green short sided with no way to run the ball up low?

He chips

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, golfthyme said:

The goal is to perform a beautiful effortless swing! 

When a swing is well sequenced, the effort happens by the proper muscles at the proper time, which makes it look like what we call effortless in some golfers. Some, like Tiger, often look like they're swinging hard, others not so much. As said above, it takes a ton of effort to swing that fast. And beauty is overrated. Results are what matters.

57 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

He chips

I’d like to see that if it’s sitting down or worse, fried egg..

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, golfthyme said:

I don’t own a wedge, I find a 4 or 6 iron more accurate! That’s just preferences no right or wrong 

1st rule of golf! It works for me!

53 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

Golf has many methods, none are right or wrong! I have a standard pitching and sand wedges just not a lofted or high degree wedges

You seem to contradict yourself often.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

55 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

I have a standard pitching and sand wedges

2 hours ago, golfthyme said:

I don’t own a wedge

So.....which is it?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Both statements could be true.  Maybe in the one hour and 7 minutes between posts he went out and bought some wedges... 😄

That’s “NUTS”!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/8/2020 at 12:50 PM, dagolfer18 said:

Not just you. Those two things drive me bonkers as well. What about iron covers?? I’m not a real big fan of those either. Those, I feel, are unnecessary.

I have this particular guy that I play with occasionally that has iron covers. He's a nice guy that can put up with me. That's a big plus. 

But those bloody iron covers. I swear we take 15 minutes extra a round waiting on him to put the blasted covers on those irons. 

Then he almost always loses one somewhere. Usually its in the console of the buggy underneath crap. Once it dropped down into his bag. That was a fiasco.

Ah well. Nobody is perfect.

8 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I have this particular guy that I play with occasionally that has iron covers. He's a nice guy that can put up with me. That's a big plus. 

But those bloody iron covers. I swear we take 15 minutes extra a round waiting on him to put the blasted covers on those irons. 

Then he almost always loses one somewhere. Usually its in the console of the buggy underneath crap. Once it dropped down into his bag. That was a fiasco.

Ah well. Nobody is perfect.

Tell ya what... if I go on ebay and find two used sets of the identical irons, but one is $100 more because the owner used headcovers, then I'm buying the less expensive set with the dainty club chatter marks from sharing a bag with other clubs.  Performance is not affected at all. 

Now, when that headcover isn't on the iron and you smash into a hidden underground rock and put a dime-sized crater into your 7 iron there's no head cover in the world that will protect it.

Bottom line: Iron head covers count for nothing.

10 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

I don’t consider a standard pitching wedge the same as a 56 or 60 degree wedge! It’s just a 10 iron really!

Ummm.

I believe those are called pitching niblicks.

17 minutes ago, golfthyme said:

I don’t consider a standard pitching wedge the same as a 56 or 60 degree wedge! It’s just a 10 iron really!

Way back in the day, I actually had a 10i in my bag. 

Edited by CarlSpackler
Corrected autocorrect.

- Shane

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You seem to contradict yourself often.

there’s seems to be a lot about golf he doesn’t understand so it’s no surprise that club nomenclature (pitching wedges & sand wedges both being wedges) confuses him. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 1042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!