IGNORED

Can Tony Finau Be Longer Than DeChambeau?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

It makes me wonder if putting on weight was necessary for Bryson to get longer? Could he have made all these distance gains with just speed training?

I wonder if it is to help keep him healthy. He's got a lot more support now for the higher swing speed. 

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, colin007 said:

It makes me wonder if putting on weight was necessary for Bryson to get longer? Could he have made all these distance gains with just speed training?

But burritos and chocolate cream pie are so tasty!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

But burritos and chocolate cream pie are so tasty!

Chocolate burritos....mmmmmmm.D956B4CA-FB7C-48A3-85B7-708B1490C904.gif.981599afa4a4ed171892336e15289a62.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

21 hours ago, klineka said:

I think he will, Finau and his coach just talked on their podcast on July 31st about how their plan is that he is now starting to train more speed in practice with the goal to take more fuller swings and let some go when the hole presents him with the opportunity to do so in tournaments.

This was a good listen. He talks about cracking a golf ball at 206 when he was younger in front of Phil Mickelson. And some details on how he went about increasing his distance. Here is the episode.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like DJ has a lot left in his speed tank. There's very little jumping in his driver swing, he seems very planted and it's effortless even in slo-mo. I wonder what he could do going all out

Edited by colin007
Spelling

Colin P.

Just now, colin007 said:

I feel like DJ has a lot left in his speed tank. There's very little jumping in his driver swing, he seems very planted and it's effortless even in slo-mo. I wonder what he could do going all out

Given his frame I'd reckon that you are spot on. I wouldn't change a thing if I were him, as he actually wins loads of tournaments, unlike Finau.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

13 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Given his frame I'd reckon that you are spot on. I wouldn't change a thing if I were him, as he actually wins loads of tournaments, unlike Finau.

I think DJ has an innate ‘governor’ on aggression. Like yesterday when he rolled that 40’ (?) for eagle on 18. For a split second he was pumped then dialed it back to a mild fist pump. I’m not sure DJ ever just ‘lets it go.’ 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think DJ has an innate ‘governor’ on aggression. Like yesterday when he rolled that 40’ (?) for eagle on 18. For a split second he was pumped then dialed it back to a mild fist pump. I’m not sure DJ ever just ‘lets it go.’ 

I wonder why he feels like this?  Why can't he get fully excited... that's being true to yourself and that's what fans like.  When Tiger starts shooting in the 80's I still want to see that fist pump... he practically invented it.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Just now, Vinsk said:

It's no doubt that level heads make for level golf. Even Tiger, who will let off fist-pumps or show anger sometimes, always dials it back before the next shot. It's one of the reasons why I think Sergio doesn't have as many PGA wins as he maybe could have, and why I think that Rahm will follow in Sergio's footsteps. Emotions and solid golf don't mix. Speith may be another prime example of this. Once his fire went out and it turned to anger, he hasn't been the same since.

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

4 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

It's no doubt that level heads make for level golf. Even Tiger, who will let off fist-pumps or show anger sometimes, always dials it back before the next shot. It's one of the reasons why I think Sergio doesn't have as many PGA wins as he maybe could have, and why I think that Rahm will follow in Sergio's footsteps. Emotions and solid golf don't mix. Speith may be another prime example of this. Once his fire went out and it turned to anger, he hasn't been the same since.

But Vinsk's observations were of DJ on #18... he could have let it rip.  Nothing left in the round to stay calm about...

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

But Vinsk's observations were of DJ on #18... he could have let it rip.  Nothing left in the round to stay calm about...

I'd respond that he knew there was still work to do....if it was today, then sure, he could be pumped up. I personally like the focus and cool he shows on the course. Brooks is similar on course, showing little to no emotion, and I think that is a big reason why he has found success too. Unfortunately he has been making some silly comments lately and I don't like him quite as much as I used to.

25 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I'd respond that he knew there was still work to do....if it was today, then sure, he could be pumped up. I personally like the focus and cool he shows on the course. Brooks is similar on course, showing little to no emotion, and I think that is a big reason why he has found success too. Unfortunately he has been making some silly comments lately and I don't like him quite as much as I used to.

Hoping DJ ends up making a 25 footer to win on the final hole.  I want to see his enthusiasm.

Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!