IGNORED

My Swing (Dornenglanz)

Dornenglanz
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Dornenglanz said:

Pretty sure I misunderstood this, when I compare:

image.thumb.png.feb9d1e70b7456f59da274aa82abf278.png

image.thumb.png.46b794f598d5a1d2d6b1b8e35e9c3e02.png

I'll try again.

Think about where your arms are pointed in the drill. Erik explains that. It makes it so much easier.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

A few images of my swing - videos to follow.

P1 (Address) - I'd like to seemy right should a bit more level, but otherwise, not unhappy.

P6 (Club parallel to ground during downswing) - I'd like to see left arm closer to vertical, and a less obtuse angle between club and arm.  The club/hands a bit closer.

P9 (Right arm parallel to the ground followthrough) (side, and dtl) - I'd like to see the right foot a bit more banked and a bit less ballet!

Hoping I can get some video footage on Wednesday.

I think compared to last pictures, there's a big improvement.

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 18.41.09.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 18.49.29.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 18.55.42.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 18.56.11.png

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

• 2 weeks later...

This is my main focus for the next two weeks.  Finishing in this position consistently.  Working mostly on short and low speed swings with middle irons and drivers, and checking for:

- Has my shoulder centre has remained stable?
- Is my head is further from the target than my hips?
- Does my upper chest point upwards?
- Is my belt is directly above or closer to the target than the heel of my lead foot?
- Is my belt buckle is further from the ground than it was at address?
- Is heel of the rear foot inline with closer to the target than the toes of my rear foot?

Any time these break down, slow down, and get to a place where it's right.

SNSP928032022.jpeg

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

The other main thing I'm working on is putting.  I've always felt I'm a pretty decent putter - I rarely 3 putt, and I'm usually under 2 putts a round.  However my practice has been data driven, and I've been noting the putt distances when I play, and actually I'm a terrible putter at short and middle distances.  Over say 12 feet, my first putt is usually good for distance and I might leave myself a 3 foot putt, which I will get about 80% of the time.  But even at 4, 5 or 6 feet I am not sinking putts - two putting from 6 feet is not good putting!

For the next two weeks I'm changing my grip - when I started I copied someone who used the claw grip without ever questioning it.  I'm going to a conventional grip.  I'm going to work on distance control first.  My "sense" is that my distance control isn't bad, especially as it's my distance that gets me good 2 putts, but I'm going to test that with data.  If distance isn't too bad, then I'll work on aim next.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dornenglanz said:

- Has my shoulder centre has remained stable?
- Is my head is further from the target than my hips?
- Does my upper chest point upwards?

Be careful with those three. I know they're your "feels" but…

• The shoulder center doesn't remain "stable" in most good swings. I think you're talking basically about a "steady head" with which I'd agree, but the shoulder center will move around more than you think…
  • You can achieve the latter two by tipping back, too. Not in conjunction with the first, really, and obviously you know this, just saying… because if you singularly focus on that, you can start to let some tip-back creep in even if when you pause to think about it you know you shouldn't do it that way.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Dornenglanz said:

Over say 12 feet, my first putt is usually good for distance and I might leave myself a 3 foot putt, which I will get about 80% of the time.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but if you’re leaving a 3’ putt from 12’, it’s not good.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but if you’re leaving a 3’ putt from 12’, it’s not good.

No I quite agree; I didn't mean 12... but I couldn't see how to correct it.  Maybe 25+ - basically something where I'm not likely to get it in one (and indeed nor would anyone), I will likely get it close enough for a decent 2nd putt. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Be careful with those three. I know they're your "feels" but…

• The shoulder center doesn't remain "stable" in most good swings. I think you're talking basically about a "steady head" with which I'd agree, but the shoulder center will move around more than you think…
  • You can achieve the latter two by tipping back, too. Not in conjunction with the first, really, and obviously you know this, just saying… because if you singularly focus on that, you can start to let some tip-back creep in even if when you pause to think about it you know you shouldn't do it that way.

Yes - as I was typing this, I had the same insight.  However, I know that tipping back feeling, and it's what I'm moving to erradicate - so glad to have you point it out.  I guess the head bit is what keeps that in check.  If the head has remained steady - ie it hasn't moved radically before impact, then in combination with the other two, we're probably ok.

20 minutes ago, Dornenglanz said:

No I quite agree; I didn't mean 12... but I couldn't see how to correct it.  Maybe 25+ - basically something where I'm not likely to get it in one (and indeed nor would anyone), I will likely get it close enough for a decent 2nd putt.

Ok that makes more sense.

Putting is Read, Bead, and Speed; it sounds to me like your speed is fine.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hastily grabbed DTL of my 7I small swing.  Will try to get a better one next time with tripod, and positioning, but for reference, this is a start.  BTW I am not left-handed, but I had to use the front-facing camera on this occasion!

• Administrator

I’d do a little set up work.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
35 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’d do a little set up work.

I've reviewed day 1 and 22 covid practice plan.  Observations:

- My mid-iron is a lot more than a thumbs up away
- I've lost the habit of taking my grip in the air - I used to do exactly that to check I could hold the club with heel pad and one finger
- The position I gain when I do drill 1 with the club feels very different from my setup - I feel like my normal setup has very bent legs and a bit more like I am sitting down

Edited by Dornenglanz

• Administrator

Your knees are definitely bent quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest DTL video:

I've been working on setup - trying to keep weight more centred (front to back) and not to have such bent legs.  It's getting better.  Also not over extending the trail arm.

And this fortnight my major focus is on the trail arm, specifically elbow at P5 - becoming more level with the left.  The feel I am going for is of my right elbow pointing down to the ground and moving in front of my ribcage from P3 to impact.  It's not there yet, but it's a lot better.  The purpose of the stick in this case is to deliberately reverse my standard which is a shallower backswing and a steep downswing.  In this respect, this swing isn't necessarily what I would take to the course, but a snapshot on some work in progress.

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!