IGNORED

Swing Thought for Weight Shift?

Note: This thread is 1304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Piz said:

The only point I am trying to make is that I don't concentrate on shifting my weight.

We aren’t talking about your feels and the OP specifically asked for feels to help with his.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, imgoinhungry said:

Can someone help me out with weightshift?  What is the first thought I should have to start my down swing?  Is it a squat?  Is it pushing my left foot into the ground?  Is it shifting laterally toward the target by pushimg off the ground with my right foot?

Also, do I make this weight shift movement with my driver as well as my irons??

Just a suggestion - use a 1-2-3 count as you shift back and forth. 1-2 being BS and 3 being DS. You can in your head or audibly. As you can prolly tell, it's a tempo related metronomic cue tied to a physical movement. Helps rhythm too. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

15 hours ago, imgoinhungry said:

Can someone help me out with weightshift?  What is the first thought I should have to start my down swing?  Is it a squat?  Is it pushing my left foot into the ground?  Is it shifting laterally toward the target by pushimg off the ground with my right foot?

Also, do I make this weight shift movement with my driver as well as my irons??

Over my golf life I've had this problem off and on. 
I've used 2 swing thoughts (not at the same time) that seemed to help me. 

1 - You can try visualizing your finish. Then focus your swing thought on "getting to the finish". That one seems to be the one I go back to and always seems to work for me. I just keep my swing thought as "Get to my finish" and it seems to help a myriad of issues, including weight shift. 

2 - There was a period of time about 10 years ago where I was struggling with this and the swing thought that worked best for me was actually to just move my divot. What I mean by that is make your swing thought something like "Divot after the ball" or "Low point after the ball", in that case focus on making the low point of your swing after hitting the ball. I found that was better actually focusing on weight shift. 

3 - I saw Greg Norman give a presentation one time. He said he's swing thought was always to start his swing with his core. That one never quite worked for me, but I get the idea and you may want to give it a try.

Both of the first 2 have helped me over the years at one point or another. So, go ahead and give 'em a try. If one of them works for you, great. If not, let us know what finally does work for you.

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

12 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Over my golf life I've had this problem off and on. 
I've used 2 swing thoughts (not at the same time) that seemed to help me. 

1 - You can try visualizing your finish. Then focus your swing thought on "getting to the finish". That one seems to be the one I go back to and always seems to work for me. I just keep my swing thought as "Get to my finish" and it seems to help a myriad of issues, including weight shift. 

2 - There was a period of time about 10 years ago where I was struggling with this and the swing thought that worked best for me was actually to just move my divot. What I mean by that is make your swing thought something like "Divot after the ball" or "Low point after the ball", in that case focus on making the low point of your swing after hitting the ball. I found that was better actually focusing on weight shift. 

3 - I saw Greg Norman give a presentation one time. He said he's swing thought was always to start his swing with his core. That one never quite worked for me, but I get the idea and you may want to give it a try.

Both of the first 2 have helped me over the years at one point or another. So, go ahead and give 'em a try. If one of them works for you, great. If not, let us know what finally does work for you.

Great thanks.  I think im over doing it for sure.  Will work on these next time at range.

I found this video to be really helpful.  I was doing what he says not to do.

My next question:  Is this footwork and weight shift used for all clubs, lob wedge through driver.  Do you shift weight forward with the driver?  Wouldnt that be unwise as you are supposed to hit up on the ball and not down on it?

7 hours ago, imgoinhungry said:

Great thanks.  I think im over doing it for sure.  Will work on these next time at range.

I found this video to be really helpful.  I was doing what he says not to do.

My next question:  Is this footwork and weight shift used for all clubs, lob wedge through driver.  Do you shift weight forward with the driver?  Wouldnt that be unwise as you are supposed to hit up on the ball and not down on it?

Check out the Key 2 videos in this thread below. They explain it well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of weight shift.... You've got four holes to go. Your back has started hurting. The back pain is making it difficult to clear your hips and get your weight shifting like you were earlier in the round. Any suggestions on how to make it through the round? You might grit your teeth and get a couple good shots in but I'm open for suggestions. In reality, I'm looking at a string of DBs and maybe a triple.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

40 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Speaking of weight shift.... You've got four holes to go. Your back has started hurting. The back pain is making it difficult to clear your hips and get your weight shifting like you were earlier in the round. Any suggestions on how to make it through the round? You might grit your teeth and get a couple good shots in but I'm open for suggestions. In reality, I'm looking at a string of DBs and maybe a triple.

When my SI joint would act up, I would do a kneeling stretch of my quad and psoas muscle to help relieve the pain. It could help me finish a round.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, DrvFrShow said:

Care to elaborate about the type of back pain?   Is this something you can feel tighten up as you play?   Pain meds after the first 6 holes?  I'm not a doctor or play one on TV, just throwing out ideas and questions.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The simplest thought to have is this:  take the club back by standing on your post foot...and initiate the down swing by standing on your other.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I don’t know if there is a right/wrong way to learn this but my instructor told me to imagine crushing a peanut shell (imaginary or an actual one) under my left foot to start the weight shift for the downswing. It worked for me but not for my husband. 

For the driver, weightshift is a little different. My instructor had me exaggerate the weight being in the back by putting 70% of my weight in the back foot during setup and backswing, then shift weight towards the middle during the downswing. Again it worked for me but not my husband. 

7 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

I don’t know if there is a right/wrong way to learn this but my instructor told me to imagine crushing a peanut shell (imaginary or an actual one) under my left foot to start the weight shift for the downswing. It worked for me but not for my husband

For the driver, weightshift is a little different. My instructor had me exaggerate the weight being in the back by putting 70% of my weight in the back foot during setup and backswing, then shift weight towards the middle during the downswing. Again it worked for me but not my husband

A little off topic:   I see a pattern here..no?  (jk)

The videos that are posted here on the forum are excellent for weight shift.   it is very important that the practice starts slow and specific.  It's torture to practice slow but to get the feel...

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

This is for me, but I like the idea of feeling like I am pressing down on something under my left foot. My hips shift pretty good, but I have slight mechanic issues with how I do a weight shift. Since weight shift increases pressure under the lead foot it might beneficial to start there. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This is for me, but I like the idea of feeling like I am pressing down on something under my left foot. My hips shift pretty good, but I have slight mechanic issues with how I do a weight shift. Since weight shift increases pressure under the lead foot it might beneficial to start there. 

I've had a number of people suggest this (or similar) to me. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Watching the 30 day COVID training series @iacas made I like the feeling of my chest descending down and forward.

15 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I would just do stretches.  Bend over and try and touch my feet with my hands and also putt my hands on my butt and push my hips forward.  Also, so a bit of side stretches, too.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

My lower back gets tight. Stretches might really help. I used to sit on the benches and kind of curl over and hug my knees, but the course removed the benches due to COVID. I can't wait for 2020 to be over.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

AMG has a fantastic video on this shift and subsequent return back to the lead foot (and beyond). Here is a link: 

This will sound weird, but I’ve been working on this early shift and movement back by seeing a tidal wave in my mind. Little move off the ball, maximum by P2, then just like a wave curls up and back in the forward direction... I crash forward and down to the ball.

The first day trying this my driver SS went from 96 to 107. Still working on it, so the speed isn’t yet consistent.

21 minutes ago, JDCON said:

AMG has a fantastic video on this shift and subsequent return back to the lead foot (and beyond). Here is a link: 

This will sound weird, but I’ve been working on this early shift and movement back by seeing a tidal wave in my mind. Little move off the ball, maximum by P2, then just like a wave curls up and back in the forward direction... I crash forward and down to the ball.

The first day trying this my driver SS went from 96 to 107. Still working on it, so the speed isn’t yet consistent.

Thanks.  I have been putting pressure on my left foot just befor I start downswing, and then moving my hips laterally towards target.  Not sure if that lateral shift is supposed to occur?

Note: This thread is 1304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!