CharlieB

Which Golf Pride Grip

13 posts / 636 viewsLast Reply

I bought a used set of irons and I’m planning on re-gripping them. Which do you prefer between these two and why.

MMC +4, or the Tour Velvet +4. Both would be standard size.

Edited by CharlieB

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Isn't this about which you prefer between the two?

I don't really go for any Golf Pride grips. I like PURE.

Which PURE grips do you like best for sweaty handed folks?  Also, do you use just a regular air compressor to put your grips on yourself?  Seems like a great idea.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Which PURE grips do you like best for sweaty handed folks?  Also, do you use just a regular air compressor to put your grips on yourself?  Seems like a great idea.

The DTX, but I can't say for sure as I don't even wear a glove.

Regular air compressor, yeah.

8 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I bought a used set of irons and I’m planning on re-gripping them. Which do you prefer between these two and why.

MMC +4, or the Tour Velvet +4. Both would be standard size.

MCC+4 last longer but cost more. I do like the Pure DTX too, but you have to build up the lower section with tape to match the +4 profile. Pure is working on that profile though.

I am currently playing the Tour Velvet. Not an MCC fan but its really personal preference. And gloveless since 1992. 

I grew up using Tour Velvet, love the feel.  The price was right and I could never understand what a $10 New Decade grip was gonna do for me vs. the far less expensive Tour Velvet.

When the MCC plus 4 came out I was interested but would no way pay that kind of money.  I picked up a set of Nike Vapor Pro combo irons and to my surprise they came with brand new MCC plus 4’s   I loved them.  I feel I have better control with my right hand now.

What will I do when it’s regripping time?  I’ll do the tour velvet plus 4.  I like the plus 4 idea.  The MCC feel does nothing for me but empty my wallet.

Edited by Typhoon92

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Isn't this about which you prefer between the two?

I don't really go for any Golf Pride grips. I like PURE.

I guess I should rephrase my question then. Is the MMC +4 worth almost twice as much as the TV +4 and why? The +4 grips help with the arthritis in my hands, but $14 a club seems like a bit much for the MMC +4’s. The TV +4 would be $9 each.

Why not just get one club regripped? Say your 7 iron. Try it out and see if you like it.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

The DTX, but I can't say for sure as I don't even wear a glove.

Regular air compressor, yeah.

Big DTX fan here. I used to love the Golf Pride CP2 Pro. 

But ever since trying the PURE DTX, it's no contest. IMO the only reason to use a Golf Pride Grip is if you really like the "Align" feature. In that case I get it. 

I put my PURE DTX's on with a regular compressor as well. I don't even have the special attachment. I find just the "standard" compressor attachment works great. 

BTW - Not that it matters much but I only wear a glove when I hit driver. 

This is what I use to take off or put on my PURE grips. Nothing fancy, it literally came with my air compressor.

51X9gPLGNJL._AC_SX522_.jpg.ebe9a424c6a31c841d66c3d79286cc13.jpg

2 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I guess I should rephrase my question then. Is the MMC +4 worth almost twice as much as the TV +4 and why? The +4 grips help with the arthritis in my hands, but $14 a club seems like a bit much for the MMC +4’s. The TV +4 would be $9 each.

Your question was pretty clear to me.  You were only interested in the Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 and the Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4.  Like I mentioned, I wouldn’t pay extra for the MCC.  Love the Plus 4 feel, was soooo happy to see it come out in Tour Velvet at a lower price.

21 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Why not just get one club regripped? Say your 7 iron. Try it out and see if you like it.

This is the way to go.  Choose 2 or 3 grips you want to try, put each one on a club, and try them out.  Pick the one you like the best, and regrip all your clubs with it.  Yeah, you're wasting the grips you don't choose, but its a lot better than gripping your entire set only to find out you don't really like it.

I play the MCC +4 Align.  Once I tried the Align, I couldn't imagine playing without that feature, as my grip had previously always been an issue.  The +4 is also a great compromise between standard and midsize grips.  I do wish they had Tour Velvet +4 Align, I'd probably play that instead.  But the rubber on the lower hand of the MCC +4 is softer than the rubber on the non +4 MCC, so that helps the comfort level.