Dornenglanz

Is Only One Simple Key Sufficient For Bogey Golf?

6 posts / 711 viewsLast Reply

I was just re-reading the section in LSW with the graph of keys masters vs handicap index.  One key mastered seems to correlate to 19.  I'm making "steady head" my current priority.  I'm conscious of the other keys, but right now I'm working on a steady head in the backswing and especially in the downswing.  My theory/expectation is that if I can really master this, I'll erradicate a lot of the wasted/duff shots (fat,thin,blade,hit ground etc).  Together with decison maps based, is this theoretically sufficient for a golfer to get to bogie level, and then move onto weight forward?

I ask because I am drawn to the idea of doing the simplest, dumbest thing possible, rather than trying to do lots of things at once.  If I can really nail key one, I'm hopeful I can see my currently very high handicap drop fairly quickly.  Of course, I'd like to master all the keys, but starting at #1 seems like a plausible approach.

Edited by Dornenglanz

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you can do the first three keys decent, you can be a successful golfer.   I don't believe that just maintaining a steady head by itself will get you to bogey golf.   Weight forward is huge and almost directly proportional to a steady head.     

Spend some time with the 30 day Covid challenge.   There is more than enough there to get you to bogey golf.

Then again, I'm not a golf instructor, nor even an aspiring golf instructor, just a golfer trying little by little to get better.  

40 minutes ago, Dornenglanz said:

One key mastered seems to correlate to 19.

Yeah…

But that's kinda truly "owning" one of the keys, and having at least a little ability toward the other four. You can't have Key #1 but be terrible at Keys #4 and #5 and break 90 sometimes.

44 minutes ago, Dornenglanz said:

My theory/expectation is that if I can really master this, I'll erradicate a lot of the wasted/duff shots (fat,thin,blade,hit ground etc).  Together with decison maps based, is this theoretically sufficient for a golfer to get to bogie level, and then move onto weight forward?

1-3 really help with contact, so I'd rather see you get 75% of the way toward mastering 1-3 than mastering 1 without worrying much about 2 or 3.

44 minutes ago, Dornenglanz said:

I ask because I am drawn to the idea of doing the simplest, dumbest thing possible, rather than trying to do lots of things at once.  If I can really nail key one, I'm hopeful I can see my currently very high handicap drop fairly quickly.  Of course, I'd like to master all the keys, but starting at #1 seems like a plausible approach.

You can start with Key #1. I don't think you're on a bad track. Just make sure you really understand what it is. It's not really at all about actually keeping a steady head - it's about HOW you do that.