Misfit Johnny

Is It Worth Replacing Shafts on Old Tommy Armour 845S?

7 posts / 537 viewsLast Reply

Been lurking for months and finally signed up!! New member here. I have an old set (bought in 1991-ish?) of Tommy Armour Silver Scots 845S irons that I dont ever really use any more and are still in very good condition. We've purchased a vacation home and I want to bring and leave the clubs there to use when we visit and stay. My current irons (TaylorMade M4) have stiff shafts whereas my old 845's have the stock Tommy Armour Tour Step R shafts on them.

My question: Is it worth replacing the shafts on these irons and if so what do you recommend? I am not the most knowledgeable on shafts and the tech and variety has gotten quite extensive. I realize there is not a lot you know about how I play etc but I am a above average size guy (8-12 handicap depending on time of year) and relatively strong so dont need a lot of flex in my shaft. I just dont know what if any value I would gain in my game by swapping shafts to something else and if so which ones might be a worthy replacement.

Any help, advice, suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Johnny

2 hours ago, Misfit Johnny said:

Been lurking for months and finally signed up!! New member here. I have an old set (bought in 1991-ish?) of Tommy Armour Silver Scots 845S irons that I dont ever really use any more and are still in very good condition. We've purchased a vacation home and I want to bring and leave the clubs there to use when we visit and stay. My current irons (TaylorMade M4) have stiff shafts whereas my old 845's have the stock Tommy Armour Tour Step R shafts on them.

My question: Is it worth replacing the shafts on these irons and if so what do you recommend? I am not the most knowledgeable on shafts and the tech and variety has gotten quite extensive. I realize there is not a lot you know about how I play etc but I am a above average size guy (8-12 handicap depending on time of year) and relatively strong so dont need a lot of flex in my shaft. I just dont know what if any value I would gain in my game by swapping shafts to something else and if so which ones might be a worthy replacement.

Thanks in advance

Johnny

If you really like the heads, then it’s worth it. If not, then no. The heads will launch a bit lower, so the shafts from the TaylorMade may not be the best choice,

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Misfit Johnny said:

Thanks in advance

Johnny

Those were good club heads. I reshafted several sets back in the day. IF my memory serves the hosel id was .370 parallel tip. Most people back then wanted Dynamic Gold S flex (S300). Regardless whether they are taper tip (.355) or parallel (.370) you have many options. You could play it safe and just go with Dynamic Gold S300/S400's. Or get other brands (KBS/NIPPON) if you stay in steel shaft. Not a bad back up set to have in my opinion. I would suggest a nicer more modern grip offering. Just about any golf shop should be able to reshaft those 845's relatively easy once you pick the shafts you want. Good luck. 

It the heads and grooves are still in good shape, then go ahead. If you want to keep costs down and you are good for standard shaft length, look for a set of "pulls"; if you want say, Dynamic Gold S300's, lots of those around fairly cheap. They would probably have decent grips on them already.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Those clubs make for a good back up set. I would play them as is or put some s300s in them for cheap. If they are just a twice a year set then I wouldn't touch them. 

If you bought these clubs way back, then you are no spring chicken. By that I mean you may want to look at going into a lighter weight range for steel shafts. Not too many people need or should be swinging DG S300s anymore. There are plenty of options out there every bit as good quality wise but in lighter more manageable weights. Especially if you are taller than average and want to play them with longer shafts, going to 110-120g would be a good option.

Tommy Armour 845 with tommy armour steel shaft showed 0.370 hosel, but the data did not go back to 1980-1981.  If these are blade type head then there is a possibility it's 0.355 hoseel.

I never assume the tip size unless pulled one and confirm with measurement.  Since there are lots of hobbyist bore out the 0.355 taper tip to the parallel .   Being the original Tommy Armour shafts, it's very likely a parallel tip of 0.370.

If in fact the hosel is 0.370, there are many choices for replacement shaft at much lower cost than the taper tip.  There are some $5-$7 per new shaft out there, just follow the instruction for tip trim and cut from the butt to desired length.  Not a brain surgeon task and require a few tools ( which you might have them already on your work bench if you are a handyman ).

If you want to keep and play this set, I would get a new set of stiff flex shafts so you won't ruin your rounds of golf on vacation.  Green fees ( a round or two ) could pay for the cost of replacement shafts.

Keep the original shafts and store in a cool dry place,  For resale to keep the set available in original setup.