IGNORED

Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs

iacas

F&#%  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem or dislike Justin Thomas (or anyone else, really) cursing on TV while playing golf?

• Yes, it's a problem.
    • No, no problem here.

It does not bother me at all.  Although it does not look good on him.  But I would imagine as he ages, it will occur less frequently. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

It is just a "word", LOL. You know that certain people are not allowed to say certain words.

As with just about anything, a white dude derogatorily calling a black person the "n" word is different on several levels than a golfer saying to his caddie "It was f***ing straight!" (or whatever).

Let's not casually equate or compare or even liken situations like that to each other. Of course certain people can't say certain words, but even then, it's not about the word itself, it's about the context and content of that word.

JT didn't say "f*** you" to a playing partner.

P.S. Even saying "f*** you" to someone can be funny, incredibly mean, or ten other things. Context.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Absolutely no problem with it, in Ireland we curse/swear a lot, I mean an awful lot. It’s very much normal, maybe it’s a blatant disregard for a language forced upon us but for whatever reason we do it a lot, so I wouldn’t even notice it let alone have a problem. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

some are even Ian Poulter.

Brutal! I once heard him cuss out his ball in a divot. The eighth hole at PGA National Champion Course. I immediately became a fan. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I personally don’t care what he says or who hears it on national tv. But, I wonder how his sponsors, FootJoy, Beats Electronics, Titleist, NetJets, Citigroup, Ralph Lauren feel about it. He’s wearing their name on his clothes and gear. Other potential sponsors were watching him on tv, and see his name associated with his outburst all over the web. It could cost him a lot of money if those sponsors would prefer their spokesperson didn’t swear while mike’d up for television.  

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ScottF said:

I personally don’t care what he says or who hears it on national tv. But, I wonder how his sponsors, FootJoy, Beats Electronics, Titleist, NetJets, Citigroup, Ralph Lauren feel about it. He’s wearing their name on his clothes and gear. Other potential sponsors were watching him on tv, and see his name associated with his outburst all over the web. It could cost him a lot of money if those sponsors would prefer their spokesperson didn’t swear while mike’d up for television.  

Conversely, some might appreciate the extra screen time.

I mean, it's not like he raped someone, got a DUI, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I really think the sponsors could care less. If somebody says I’m not buying ProV1s because JT said f*** then they weren’t buying them to begin with. Bad language is not the same as some of the things already mentioned by iacas. 

shocked surprise GIF

It is not the 1950s.  Chill the f*** out.

Oh yeah... and ROLL TIDE!

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

As you said the kids are aware. And boy are they! Let’s be realistic here...there are some pretty bad to horrible things kids are exposed to with social media. Hearing a golfer yell a curse word every once in awhile is hardly anything. It’s not encouraging anything. It has so little effect compared to what’s out there that they’re exposed to every single day.

I hear what you, and others, are saying @Vinsk. I am not real comfortable with the argument that "everyone" does it so why not. I also understand that my desire that pro golfers exercise control over their on course behavior is unrealistic. Still, I was voicing my opinion and my desire that TV golf be a bit different than an NFL locker room (exaggeration for dramatic effect). I was taught, for example, that men don't swear in front of women. Clearly the world has changed but I admit I was a bit disappointed the first time I heard a woman swear. Ha! Anyway, am I gonna quit watching golf on TV 'cause JT or someone else swears? Not fooking likely...

And, speaking of swearing and euphemisisms, I have a pretty funny office story about that but this probably isn't the place or the thread topic...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yukari said:

It does not bother me at all.  Although it does not look good on him.  But I would imagine as he ages, it will occur less frequently. 

This is what I was trying to say the entire time

The occasional expletive while playing golf does not bother me since it happens to me all the time.  I do think that the PGA Tour professionals that are miked up should make an effort to maintain control and keep it PG most of the time.  Unfortunately many of these pros are role models for younger golfers so constant F-Bombs should be avoided.  Also, I have known people that cannot say a sentence without using the F-Bomb several times.  Sorry, I am 68 years old and find it  annoying and degrading.  But that is not what JT and others (including myself) are doing.  An expletive after something really bad happens is bound to happen.

15 hours ago, Birish21 said:

Why?  Are you a professional golfer with thousands of people watching you each week 😛

Nope. But does the amount of people that can hear it really make it any better? But I get what you are saying.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

1 hour ago, NJpatbee said:

I do think that the PGA Tour professionals that are miked up should make an effort to maintain control and keep it PG most of the time.

If the pro agrees to be miked up then that's a different ball game and it should be PG all the time. But if they are not miked up and they are background noise, its going to happen. If the network is ok just apologizing for the occasional mishap then that's what they will do. I am pretty sure this will not happen during the Masters coverage. Those guys run a tight operation. 

At the club I worked at while in college we had 2 retired guys as starters. One was from the Bronx, the other from Queens, both Italian, one a retired Cadillac dealer and the other a WW2 marine that survived his ship being tanked by a kamikaze. Those guys would make these kids on Tour blush with the language they used. The marine swore like a sailor (pun intended) but he earned it the hard way. Now if you heard one of their words on tv they would shut it down.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Use the 10 second time delay and cut it out. I’m not a big fan of it. My kids watch golf, and I’m sure other kids do too. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Use the 10 second time delay and cut it out. I’m not a big fan of it. My kids watch golf, and I’m sure other kids do too. 

Do you parent your kids, or ask the television to do it for you?

That's rhetorical.

I am a fan of it.