nevets88

Golf Magazine Tests Balata Versus Modern Ball Using Robot

6 posts / 975 viewsLast Reply

Pretty obvious as we all known, balata will spin more. Distance loss more pronounced for driver vs irons. But a lot of subtle differences mentioned in the piece. And lots of data.

RobotTesting-1856-Wall.jpg

What happens when you test modern equipment with a balata ball? GOLF.com linked up with an industry leader in the independent testing...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting study. Wish they would have talked about horizontal dispersion as well. The one table with data shows the balata ball being more accurate than the modern ball. I want to explore that more.

A good test and just shows how much technology has moved the game to "bomb and gouge" as the article stated.  I have a large quantity of older wound balls - some solid core, some liquid core (they are fun to cut open).  I love hitting them around the yard when practicing pitches and chips. Maybe one day I will take some to the course just for fun - but on that day I will also bring my "real" wood driver, 3 & 4 fairways, the old blade irons just to have fun and see what kind of round I would shoot using vintage everything.....

I had a friend that played on the Tour a few years while this was all going on. His driving average increased from 270 to 285+ overnight with the change in balls and second gen metal woods. 

I remember watching Freddy hitting irons low and then peak and drop from the spin. Today's balls are just so much better. 

I went out a few years ago When I was playing my Ping Eye2 irons and took a few balata Titleists.  I wanted to see if ball and club tech went hand in hand to see the improvements.

i had been using the eye2 irons but with prov1 balls.  I wondered why I hit them shorter than I did with balata.  I hit them side by side and off the eye2 irons balata was longer, spun  more and had a lower launch angle and ball flight.  Also angle of decent was good.

The pro v1 spun less, launched too high, had an overall higher flight and a steep decent angle.  It all added up to lost distance.  

Now the prov1 with a modern iron like my Ping ie-1 irons was much better than a balata with these irons.  Gotta keep your ball and club tech together.

Also, it wasn’t a huge distance difference... 5 yards max.  The balata would land, take a hop forward and then spin back.  The pro v would just drop and stop.  Decent angle.

i remember when I hit the balata and said to myself, “there it is”.... that was the launch and height window I’d been looking for.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.