IGNORED

"You Hate to See It…" Stories

phan52
Note: This thread is 1317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I hit a beautiful sand wedge into a par 5 and it is obvious that it will be stiff for a birdie. But it bounces a foot from the hole, hits the pin, bouncing 12 feet away. I miss the putt, make par and half the hole. Very next hole, my opponent and I are both about 15 yards short of the green. I hit a great pitch to five feet. My opponent totally bones his pitch and it's headed off the back of the green. But it bounces once and flies in the cup for a birdie. My putt doesn't even matter now. I hate when that happens.

Anyone else got one? 

• Like 1

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to "You Hate to See It…" Stories

A good number of years ago I played a PW on a short par 3 downhill, landed it about 5-6 feet from the hole and stopped it quick. My playing partner then hit a great shot, must have landed right on the front of my ball and mine squirted out off the green into the rough at the back where’s I had a horrible shot, the wall at the back of the rough restricted my swing to a foot at most.... whereas his ball, after landing on mine, bounced back a couple of foot and rolled to rest about 3-4 feet from the hole. Couldn’t believe it, went from a decent birdie chance to scrambling to try save par, ended up with a 4 after duffing the chip and two putting. 

11 minutes ago, RyanG94 said:

A good number of years ago I played a PW on a short par 3 downhill, landed it about 5-6 feet from the hole and stopped it quick. My playing partner then hit a great shot, must have landed right on the front of my ball and mine squirted out off the green into the rough at the back where’s I had a horrible shot, the wall at the back of the rough restricted my swing to a foot at most.... whereas his ball, after landing on mine, bounced back a couple of foot and rolled to rest about 3-4 feet from the hole. Couldn’t believe it, went from a decent birdie chance to scrambling to try save par, ended up with a 4 after duffing the chip and two putting. 

By rule, you should have put your ball back where it was. His ball remains where it is, but yours goes back to where you originally hit it.

• Like 2

Bill M

Just now, phan52 said:

By rule, you should have put your ball back where it was. His ball remains where it is, but yours goes back to where you originally hit it.

Well I wish we knew that at the time, it was only a social round, but he was pretty apologetic, not that it was his fault. At least I’ll know for future, cheers 😁

Two of us are waiting for our third player to hit to the 10th green the first day (of three) of the City Championship.  We started on #10 and would cross over with the groups starting on #1.

The 10th hole is a fairly difficult par 4 that requires an accurate 2nd shot over a stream and bordering long vegetation.  I suspect the two of us waiting were on the green in 3.  Our third player had laid up close to the hazard.  We could see his golf bag but not him or his ball.  We hear, "Clank, ... oh ___t". It seemed like he had shanked it into the hazard.  We see him go to his bag, get another ball, and walk back out of sight.  "Clank, ... oh ____t".  This process repeats itself three more times.  He finally hits his ball on the green and two putts for an opening 15.

The 11th is a par 5 and he managed a 9.  Fortunately, he settled down and played okay but I will always remember the "Clank ... oh ____t".

Brian Kuehn

I have a teammate who I’m ultra competitive with, and we’re always playing against each other, whether in a friendly match or in a school match/tournament. We played two tournaments together this summer.

In the first one at Forest Oaks, I came into the clubhouse with a solid 87, confident that it’d be enough to beat him with the conditions as tough as they were. It wasn’t. He came in the group right behind me with an 85. In the second tournament, I rallied from a poor start to finish with a 91. This time, he was a few groups behind me, and he ended up shooting 90. 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

9 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

I have a teammate who I’m ultra competitive with, and we’re always playing against each other, whether in a friendly match or in a school match/tournament. We played two tournaments together this summer.

In the first one at Forest Oaks, I came into the clubhouse with a solid 87, confident that it’d be enough to beat him with the conditions as tough as they were. It wasn’t. He came in the group right behind me with an 85. In the second tournament, I rallied from a poor start to finish with a 91. This time, he was a few groups behind me, and he ended up shooting 90. 

Reminds me of a few scrambles I've played in where the winners phoned in to the clubhouse to see what the leading score was and then they won by bettering that by a stroke.  Scrambles are fun but they are rife with drunken cheating.

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Reminds me of a few scrambles I've played in where the winners phoned in to the clubhouse to see what the leading score was and then they won by bettering that by a stroke.  Scrambles are fun but they are rife with drunken cheating.

No wonder I’ve been seeing all those mid-50s scores...

WITB:

When I was a kid, I entered a local junior 2 day tournament. On the second day of the event, I waited and waited for my name to be called to tee off, but they never called me. When I went to the guy running the event, he realized he’d left my name off the starter sheet for the second day. They let me play that day but I was alone. Even though it was their mistake, I was DQ’d from the tournament. I’d have finished in third place. My father came back and argued with them, but it didn’t do any good.

13 minutes ago, ScottF said:

Even though it was their mistake, I was DQ’d from the tournament. I’d have finished in third place.

That doesn’t make any sense. Let’s get some more details...🤨

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That doesn’t make any sense. Let’s get some more details...🤨

Agreed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, ScottF said:

When I was a kid, I entered a local junior 2 day tournament. On the second day of the event, I waited and waited for my name to be called to tee off, but they never called me. When I went to the guy running the event, he realized he’d left my name off the starter sheet for the second day. They let me play that day but I was alone. Even though it was their mistake, I was DQ’d from the tournament. I’d have finished in third place. My father came back and argued with them, but it didn’t do any good.

Did you not show up to the tee, or was it just a mistake? If it was the latter, you didn’t deserve a DQ.

WITB:

4 hours ago, ScottF said:

There was nobody to attest your score... but c'mon!  It was a junior tournament.  The guy who screwed up putting your name on the tee sheet should have followed you around as a marker.

This was back in the 60’s. I was probably 12 or 13. There really wasn’t anything more to it. The guy mistakenly left my name off the starter sheet. They sent me off alone, my score for the day wouldn’t count. In those days, parents weren’t attending every event kids participated in so no one was there to stand up for me. I’m sure the guy in charge didn’t want to be bothered fixing his mistake and assumed I wasn’t going to play well enough to matter anymore than the 50 other kids entered.  It wasn’t a big deal to me then, my father wasn’t happy about it, but by the time he got home to hear about it, the trophies were already given out and all had gone home. I let the adults deal with it. 

We play cart golf, so there is an A and B player.  My opponents B player hits a wild slice off the tee, second shot skulled to the left of the green, third shot a pull to the side of the greenside hill. His fourth shot is a downhill shot out of the rough.  I stand helpless as he chips in for par.  
Golf!!!

I was playing a best ball event that lasted a majority of the winter months a few years back.  It wa a double elimination tournament.  My partner and I had lost our opening match (in part because their 'B' player was on fire and even holed out from 191 for an eagle)... but then we worked our way through the losers bracket.  

Late in the tournament, the team that had beaten us also lost, so we were going to face them again for a chance to make it to the championship.  It was a tightly contested match.  We got to the 18th hole all square.  I was our 'B' player and the 18th hole was one of the more difficult on the course.  I hit a solid tee shot, leaving about 115 to the hole, cut on the bottom tier of a green with a massive ridge running across the middle.  My approach hit that ridge and funneled down to the proper tier, about 20 feet left of the flag.  My partner and their 'A' player both struggled.  Their 'B' player was left off the tee but hit a good shot up on to the back tier of the green.  Essentially, there was no way to stop the ball from rolling off the front of the green.  

My partner and I were excited because I was definitely going to two-putt and it was going to be a miracle for their 'B' player to make a par from up on top where he was.  As he lined up his putt, I tended the flagstick (this was in 2017).  He was lined about 80 degrees right of the stick.  His putt was hit to the top of the ridge where it stopped.  When I say stopped... I mean, it was done.  His ball was not going to roll down that slope, somehow.  He put his hands on his knees for about 5 seconds then began walking to mark his ball.  As he got about 5 feet from the hole... the ball began to trickle.  I knew immediately it was going in... and it did.  He made this crazy putt where the ball had fully stopped for at least 10 seconds before resuming it's roll down the slope.  I could only laugh as I puled the flag stick and watched it trickle in.

My putt was now to tie.  From 20 feet, it curled in from the left side and just sat on the lip.  At least half of the ball was over the edge but it would NOT fall in.  I tapped in for a par and we were eliminated.

To say I was devastated would be a lie.  It was so comical to have THAT guy come up so clutch to beat us twice.  With that putt... it was a totally deserved win for them.  Still... I hated to see it!

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Note: This thread is 1317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!