RyanG94

Irons Only - No Driver, No Woods?

27 posts / 1736 viewsLast Reply

10 hours ago, RyanG94 said:

Been there my friend, I still do this every now and again just to keep a bit of a rhythm going, I find standing on the tee box for too long and I lose a bit of rhythm and momentum, would much rather hit a different club and play shorter but keeping the flow going is preferable.

on the topic itself I must say although I now have my new driver and hit it well, I do find myself using it far more sparingly than I used to, unless it gives me a huge advantage on a big wide fairway or unless it’s a long par 4 or 5 I prefer hitting my driving iron or even a 5 iron a lot of the time. Scores haven’t suffered in the slightest, improved if anything, and I feel so confident I’ll stick it in the fairway hitting the irons off the tee!

Yes I agree I've always just grabbed the driver for a long time (even on really tricking PAR-4s) its certainly an ego thing as I hit a BIG drive at times..last year I got sharp deal on a matching 3W to my driver same shaft etc and have really enjoyed hitting the 3W at times as the distance isn't all that shorter ... hitting the 4I I've hardly ever done off PAR-4-5s think If I do head out tomorrow we have 10x PAR-4s .... I'll only use driver on two ... see if I have a better round... force myself to play smarter hunt centre fairway Vs Distance ... use 8i - 9i Vs wedges going for the green not going be that much of an issue

Edited by NZ Golfer

I did this for my last round. Irons only. My back has been really bothering me and my last trip to the driving range I when I was hitting my driver I got into that reverse C position and it hurt like hell for the next couple of days. It doesn't seem to bother me when I hit irons or hybrids. I usually play the senior tees or the white tees depending upon the length of the course. For this I moved up to the red tees and used my 6i which I get 175 carry plus roll out. On the 5200 yd course this left me my usual second shot distance.... except i was in the fairway most of the time which was unusual. Except for the first 5 holes on which I had horrible ball striking but managed to get 5 straight bogeys due to outstanding short game work, from holes 6 to 14 I played some decent golf. Then my back started getting sore. 

I must have had an extra bowl of Wheaties in the morning because I was missing greens long. Sure the ball was landing, but it was landing too far to the rear of the green and rolling off. I guess I'm not used to hitting approach shots from the fairway and need to take less club. 

I had fun playing. It was fun not looking for the ball in the woods every hole. But it really didn't affect my score at all. I made it through 18 holes. I may have to play out the rest of the season like this. But that's okay.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

For this I moved up to the red tees and used my 6i which I get 175 carry plus roll out.

You must be a unicorn...I've played golf golf for 52 years and have yet to play golf with or see a 60 something female golfer who has the skills to carry a 6 iron 175 yards with a good driver SS of 94-95 mph with a 19 handicap.

spacer.png

On 8/30/2020 at 5:31 AM, NZ Golfer said:

force myself to play smarter hunt centre fairway Vs Distance ... use 8i - 9i Vs wedges going for the green not going be that much of an issue

True stats would tell you otherwise. Unless you are hazard or behind a tree, 20-30 yards is worth the penalty of the rough. I could see a case if you are on a tough course that isn't long though.

It's kind of in the same vein as thinking you have a better chance of a 6 ft uphill putt than a 5 ft downhill putt. Being closer to the hole is always better unless you don't have a shot to get it closer than the alternative place.

A nine or eighteen hole golf course is no different than a nine or eighteen turn road racing course: there are places to pass and places not to pass.  If you set up your car, or bag, to maximize your effectiveness on certain sections of the course; you accept that you are not going to be set up for every situation...only those that count.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:58 PM, Mr22putt said:

You must be a unicorn...I've played golf golf for 52 years and have yet to play golf with or see a 60 something female golfer who has the skills to carry a 6 iron 175 yards with a good driver SS of 94-95 mph with a 19 handicap.

spacer.png

I'm 5'11", athletic, and the loft on the 6i is 25.5 degrees. It's all swing tempo and timing. 

I was just thinking...The Lowest Score Wins, someone said. A person who can hit fairways with a long driver shot has a tremendous advantage.

On the other hand, if a person can score well using a snow shovel. does it matter? Yes, yes, it does. A long soaring golf shot, well-struck, touches something in the human soul. So, I for one keep trying to achieve that even as an old man. Best, -Shivas Irons

On this subject, I have got the SIM Max after a fitting, and I love it, even so I have been sticking with my new aim of not going to auto pilot and pulling driver on every opportunity. I hit the Driver on 3 holes today, 2 par 5s and one long par 4 into the wind, hit the Driving Iron off most par 4 tees and a 5 iron on 2 of them. I must admit if I can get my putting sorted a bit I would have easily shot 75, came in with a 78 with more than a few missed opportunities on the green. Scores haven’t suffered a hit and if anything the consistency of my scores has improved. Before I could go round in a 78 hitting driver all the time and play really well, and the next be 85-90 if my driving was off that day. Since employing a more conservative approach to using the driver I’ve played about 10 times and had scores all between 78-83. 

definitely a good choice getting the driver, so thanks to the good folks here who advised dropping it totally wasn’t a great idea, but also using it more sparingly or rather “when I need driver” has been a great strategy. 
On a side note anyone who thinks they may have a use for a Driving Iron, give the P790 UDI a go, that thing is an absolute rocket!