IGNORED

Mevo vs SC300 vs Rapsodo MLM

Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yeah, I think if your interested only in carry distance, either device is going to be great. 

I'm actually interested in all of it as it's all connected. FWIW those last three swings I moved the ball just a hair more forward in my stance and got better numbers. The earlier swings you can't see I had the ball a bit too far back in my stance and my spin numbers were up and carry numbers down, not to mention I was losing it right.

I really think its going to make a big difference in the way I practice as I no longer have to go by feel and I can get some real hard data on each swing.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Question on the Mevo.  The other day I tried using my iPhone XR to video my swing.  I did not feel the video had sufficient quality to view my club, etc.  It was a blur and could not view point of impact.  Does that impact the accuracy of the Mevo or is the camera not that relevant since the Mevo is using doplar?

Or, do I just need to learn to adjust my phone's camera to get better video?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yeah, I think if your interested only in carry distance, either device is going to be great. 

I agree with you. 

Where I was going with this is, again maybe I'm wrong. But I'm not convinced you can calculate spin rate from the information that the SC300 measures.

You're missing what I'm saying.

These machines use an algorithm to figure out the carry yardage. The more data they have, and the better that data, the more accurately they can predict the ball flight and thus the carry yardage.

A machine that measures:

• ball speed
  • launch angle

is going to predict the carry yardage worse, and be less accurate, than a machine that measures:

• ball speed
  • launch angle
  • spin
34 minutes ago, StuM said:

I did not feel the video had sufficient quality to view my club, etc.  It was a blur and could not view point of impact.

You likely didn't have enough light. The camera will try to do as fast a shutter speed as possible, but can go as low as 1/250th of a second in 240 FPS mode.

36 minutes ago, StuM said:

Does that impact the accuracy of the Mevo or is the camera not that relevant since the Mevo is using doplar?

The camera is irrelevant to the Mevo's actual data. It doesn't use the camera for that at all - the camera (video) feature is purely for humans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

You're missing what I'm saying.

These machines use an algorithm to figure out the carry yardage. The more data they have, and the better that data, the more accurately they can predict the ball flight and thus the carry yardage.

A machine that measures:

• ball speed
  • launch angle

is going to predict the carry yardage worse, and be less accurate, than a machine that measures:

• ball speed
  • launch angle
  • spin

Ah, I see what you are saying now... I was TRACKING before... see what I did there? 

Anyhow, that leads me to another shortcoming of the SC300... it's not very good if you hit into a net. It really needs to track the ball in the sky for a good distance to get reliable numbers. 

Even with its shortcomings, it's still very good at swing speed, ball speed, and carry distance. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

This thread is focused on products for outdoors. What would the recommendation be if you were strictly looking for an indoor unit for a garage setup?  Is it still the Mevo?

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, Antneye said:

Is it still the Mevo?

I think the Mevo needs to be ~7-8 feet away from the ball, and needs to measure ~8 feet of ball flight. So it will work indoors with enough space. Based on this you need 15-16 feet of length from Mevo to the net. 

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I took the Mevo out today and got some really weird spin numbers (Over 11,000 rpm on a 3/4 SW, over 5000rpm on a 6 degree driver) Its causing a problem as its screwing up my carry distances when I practice. Any ideas on why this is happening? My first session with it a week ago it was almost spot on to what I got on a trackman when I purchased my driver. I tried using the dots (which I really don't want to have to do) but the numbers were even higher with those.

It will suck to have to return it, but I'm pretty sure I don't spin a 3/4 SW at 11326 rpmsIMG_D6C12A89A7FC-1.thumb.jpeg.6b327442ec85b6bd3863855571f217e0.jpeg

Edited by NM Golf

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

17 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I took the Mevo out today and got some really weird spin numbers (Over 11,000 rpm on a 3/4 SW, over 5000rpm on a 6 degree driver) Its causing a problem as its screwing up my carry distances when I practice. Any ideas on why this is happening? My first session with it a week ago it was almost spot on to what I got on a trackman when I purchased my driver. I tried using the dots (which I really don't want to have to do) but the numbers were even higher with those.

It will suck to have to return it, but I'm pretty sure I don't spin a 3/4 SW at 11326 rpmsIMG_D6C12A89A7FC-1.thumb.jpeg.6b327442ec85b6bd3863855571f217e0.jpeg

How's the battery?  I noticed that when the battery was low, the numbers became off.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

7 minutes ago, phillyk said:

How's the battery?  I noticed that when the battery was low, the numbers became off.

It was fully charged the night before.

On 9/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, Antneye said:

This thread is focused on products for outdoors. What would the recommendation be if you were strictly looking for an indoor unit for a garage setup?  Is it still the Mevo?

I can't speak to the others but I CAN tell you the SC300 is NOT good hitting into a net. 

I have a net in my basement and I've tried to use the SC300 a few times. It doesn't like it. Perhaps if I had some more room to let the unit track the ball it might be better. But with my set up it really struggles. (You can check out my swing thread to get a feel for my indoor set up.)

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

It will suck to have to return it, but I'm pretty sure I don't spin a 3/4 SW at 11326 rpms

Did you have it set to indoor or something when it wasn't indoor? Or get the distance from the tee to the Mevo wrong or something? If indoor, did you hav dots on the ball?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you have it set to indoor or something when it wasn't indoor? Or get the distance from the tee to the Mevo wrong or something? If indoor, did you hav dots on the ball?

I was outdoors and I double checked that it was set to outdoors. Also, I actually measured the distance from the tee to make sure it was correct. Just to try it out I put a couple dots on the balls and that didn't help. It's weird, I got great numbers the first time I used it.

I contacted mevo and they said to try setting it on the box. I will try that this afternoon.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I contacted mevo and they said to try setting it on the box. I will try that this afternoon.

So maybe they're saying the grass was getting in the way a bit?

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

So maybe they're saying the grass was getting in the way a bit?

I guess or maybe its sitting slightly below the level of the ball? I didn't think it was but I will give it a go this afternoon.

I occasionally get an odd spin number too with the Mevo. I just delete these outliers from my data set.

I usually hit my 7-iron when I practice, and normal for me (not counting obvious thins/fats/shanks/toes) is somewhere between 5000-6000 rpm. But every once in awhile I get one random shot around 8500-9000 rpm with the same ball speed/launch angle, so I don't believe it is related to a weird strike. I figured that these random odd numbers are due to me hitting into a net which moves as much as 12-18 inches toward or away from me with the wind, so maybe it doesn't track the shot long enough to get a good spin measurement.

I have my Mevo on a short tripod to elevate it to the same height as my hitting mat, which is laying on a wood frame to stand it off the dirt/grass. Maybe I'll try raising the tripod another inch to see if maybe the flight is getting partially obstructed.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can't speak to the others but I CAN tell you the SC300 is NOT good hitting into a net. 

I have a net in my basement and I've tried to use the SC300 a few times. It doesn't like it. Perhaps if I had some more room to let the unit track the ball it might be better. But with my set up it really struggles. (You can check out my swing thread to get a feel for my indoor set up.)

Thanks. I will. 

Went back to the range this afternoon and set the Mevo up on a piece of wood about a 1/2 inch thick. I got normal numbers again, so it must have had something to do with maybe sitting slightly below the level of the ball. 

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When using the Mevo, does it give any data or shot tracer that would tell you the ball flight?  I want to get one for indoors this winter, as from about October 15th to about Mid March/April we are closed down for the winter.  Would be kinda nice to be able to work on shot-shaping with it, but I am thinking a person would have to go up to the Mevo+ for that?

Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!