IGNORED

Nerves While Putting

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Billy Z said:

Absolutely, because some think is more important than anything else in life.

I'd take that bet. I don't think you could find two people on earth who think golf is "more important than anything else in life."

I require no "convincing" that golf is a game, because it is, and it's also how I derive my livelihood.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is probably a good idea to never take a gimmie for the purpose of nerves. If you putt everything out, this will give you good practice and confidence. Imagine a golfer, when playing casual golf wit

I've definitely got a nervy stroke when it comes to anything outside of 6 inches and it's for par. Stroke becomes shakier than a folding chair at a Weight Watchers meeting....

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd take that bet. I don't think you could find two people on earth who think golf is "more important than anything else in life."

I require no "convincing" that golf is a game, because it is, and it's also how I derive my livelihood.

I think you are missing the point, it really doesn't matter what is actually the truth, but there is truth in what I did say, what matters is what you convince your mind of. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Billy Z said:

I think you are missing the point

I think you're missing the point.

I was making a bit of a joke about how you said you have to "convince" yourself that a game is, in fact, a game. That struck me as odd, and a bit funny.

I don't have to convince myself that 2+2 = 4. It is. Golf is a game. I don't need "convinced" of that. It's a fact. A true statement.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Coach, you are blessed and I wished you continued success in your golf livelihood.  I think you have to concede that Pro's can become obsessed with improving their "game" so much that it ruins their career and also impacts their regular lives.  What you may not see, but can help you in future lessons, is that we mere mortals can become obsessed with our game and create false self-identifications.  Good golfers who develop the yips or hosel-rockets find fault with their selves; not their clubs, their swings, or their games.  

Regarding the first point:  how many marriages have been broken by people who absolutely believe golf is more important than anything else in life? Playing; practicing; equipment; partners; instruction; etc.

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, HoganApexFan said:

Regarding the first point:  how many marriages have been broken by people who absolutely believe golf is more important than anything else in life? Playing; practicing; equipment; partners; instruction; etc.

Zero.

And back to the topic, please.

It's just that if you minimize the importance of a particular situation, sort of trick the mind, you have a better chance to control the outcome. Would I be more stressed/afraid of a lion or a housecat?

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

It's just that if you minimize the importance of a particular situation, sort of trick the mind, you have a better chance to control the outcome. Would I be more stressed/afraid of a lion or a housecat?

Stress can also make some people focus more and perform better.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Stress can also make some people focus more and perform better.

That's true, but one thing you forgot was this:

"Lately I've been struggling with what could probably be described as the "yips" while putting"

This was the OP basically asking how he could reduce his stress, or yips, while putting. So I addressed that. Yes, stress does help some perform better, but my answer was with the OP in mind, not myself.

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

That's true, but one thing you forgot was this:

"Lately I've been struggling with what could probably be described as the "yips" while putting"

This was the OP basically asking how he could reduce his stress, or yips, while putting. So I addressed that. Yes, stress does help some perform better, but my answer was with the OP in mind, not myself.

I wasn’t talking to the OP.

17 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Absolutely, because some think is more important than anything else in life. 

Being passionate about golf does not imply that the game occupies any particular spot on a hierarchical ladder in life's priorities.

Recognising that golf is not life or death doesn't make it easier for someone with the yips to stop jerking their putter or having their arms freeze.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wasn’t talking to the OP.

I was.☺️

• Like 1

(edited)

wrong thread, d'oh...

for this one, I like Phil's approach in his putting video...the way he did the phantom putts before and after the one that mattered to make a pressure shot routine was spectacular

Edited by darthweasel

1 hour ago, darthweasel said:

wrong thread, d'oh...

for this one, I like Phil's approach in his putting video...the way he did the phantom putts before and after the one that mattered to make a pressure shot routine was spectacular

Phil does an excellent job in his video, in all aspects of the short game.

• Thanks 1

During the winter months, I go to golf town on Sunday afternoons and putt for half an hour while my better half shops. I have no intention of buying, just try every left handed 34 inch putter that fits my eye. 

Putting at golf town on a Sunday afternoon has overcome any nervousness I ever had about putting with strangers. You are dealing with folks trying to use the balls you are using, three year olds running past you and the "pros" trying the latest SC, but can never sink a putt. 

Its really taught me how to tune everything out. and my putting has improved.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is probably a good idea to never take a gimmie for the purpose of nerves. If you putt everything out, this will give you good practice and confidence. Imagine a golfer, when playing casual golf with friends is often given those 3 foot putts, then has to make a slippery one in competition? It's good to putt everything out and challenge yourself as you do it, pretending those putts are in a competition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1