iacas

2020 U.S. Open at Winged Foot

373 posts / 10635 viewsLast Reply

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, it's now un-officially a 1-man tournament.

Yup - Bryson going to need an collapse to not win this.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not a DeChambeau fan but if he pars out it has to go down as one of the greatest final rounds ever in a major. No one under par all day and only two guys Even....and he’s -3. That’s incredible.

4 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Not a DeChambeau fan but if he pars out it has to go down as one of the greatest final rounds ever in a major. No one under par all day and only two guys Even....and he’s -3. That’s incredible.

I think we only say that because he’s in first place. There are many examples of someone out of the mix going low on the final day and they get hardly any recognition.

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Top 100 sure. Top ten? No.

I wonder why we don’t hear redan or tabletop greens. Well tabletop is a stretch. 

Wow, this why I don’t watch golf on tv much anymore. 

Unreal golf by DeChambeau.  Even crazier to me than his single length irons is that he plays graphite shaft irons (not sure I know of another tour player that does) and the grips look like they’re the size of those jumbo putter grips... just, a crazy equipment setup

BAD is not the longest guy out there this week. I think maybe his distance is overstated in that he’s doing everything well? And not getting as much credit for that.

036F33DF-54BA-4B6B-A219-2E0590A7A07F.jpeg

I saw a tweet maybe McIlroy should hit the weight room. Lol. He did and people gave him grief for doing so. 

Terrific win by the scientist! What an exciting day for golf. Has to be one of the best final day major performances ever, definitely top 5.

This guy has everything,  the power, the touch and science all the way. Here's to our major champion Bryson Dechambeau!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Top 100 sure. Top ten? No.

I disagree. A 67 in these conditions when no one else could even break 70? It's like the equivalent to a 61 compared to Johnny Miller's 63 at Oakmont. Like I said, I'm not a fan of the guy, but I've got to give him props. That was an incredible round today. Top 10, in my opinion.

Edited by ChrisP

1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

I disagree. A 67 in these conditions when no one else could even break 70? It's like the equivalent to a 61 compared to Johnny Miller's 63 at Oakmont. Like I said, I'm not a fan of the guy, but I've got to give him props. That was an incredible round today. Top 10, in my opinion.

What conditions? Perfect weather? The course is naturally tough and the greens are nasty. The weather for this US Open was not that significant. I think you are over estimating the conditions. Was his play today impressive, kind-of. He hit only 61% of GIR. Particularly low for a round under par at a US Open. His strokes gained putting was about 3 strokes over the field. Basically, his putter got hot. When you consider that Johnny Millers 63 at Oakmont was a ball striking spectacle, I hardly think they are comparable. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I agree with you. I'm sure sometime very soon, we will find out where Bryson's round ranked in terms of all time great final round major performances (strokes gained vs. the field). But wherever it falls, in terms of raw numbers will be understated. 

This wasn't some guy posting a great round early to backdoor a great finish (think Tommy Fleetwood at Shinnecock in 2018). This was a guy who won the tournament, playing in the last group of the day, which is immeasurably more difficult. I think this round will deservedly be remembered as one of the all-time greats.

37 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

His strokes gained putting was about 3 strokes over the field. Basically, his putter got hot. When you consider that Johnny Millers 63 at Oakmont was a ball striking spectacle, I hardly think they are comparable.

Even gaining 3 strokes on the field with putting still puts him at tied with the best players other than him, that being the 3 players at E on the day. Basically you are saying that putting shouldn't matter and ball striking is king. Statistically speaking we know it is more important, but what the big golfer did today was special, and I don't think it is fair to take that away from him because you don't like the way he accomplished it.

44 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

What conditions? Perfect weather? The course is naturally tough and the greens are nasty. The weather for this US Open was not that significant. I think you are over estimating the conditions. Was his play today impressive, kind-of. He hit only 61% of GIR. Particularly low for a round under par at a US Open. His strokes gained putting was about 3 strokes over the field. Basically, his putter got hot. When you consider that Johnny Millers 63 at Oakmont was a ball striking spectacle, I hardly think they are comparable. 

Sorry, should have prefaced it as final round performances "by a champion." That's what I was referring to. But conditions were tough as in course conditions, not so much weather, although breeze and cool weather added to those tough course conditions. But NOT ONE player broke par today (only two shot 70) except one who shot a 67--BDC. To me that's pretty damn good and one of the best final rounds by a champion. Even Paul Azinger said as much. To shoot a 67 on that course in the heat of the battle like that was one of the best final rounds by a champion I've ever seen.

Impressed with his consistency through the tourney and especially today.  Was it a great round - yes, one of the greatest ever don’t see it.  To be honest, I would have rather #18 to have come down to what we saw with the Rahm-Johnson battle a few weeks back.  One needed to make the putt to force the playoff.  

23 minutes ago, WillieT said:

Impressed with his consistency through the tourney and especially today.  Was it a great round - yes, one of the greatest ever don’t see it.  To be honest, I would have rather #18 to have come down to what we saw with the Rahm-Johnson battle a few weeks back.  One needed to make the putt to force the playoff.  

Yeah, I agree.  I may be partial because I'm not a fan of his, and yes, I know everyone else played the same course in the same condition but I just didn't feel it wasn't one of the most phenomenal rounds ever.  It was very anti-climactic at the end which somewhat also turned me off to it.

Great round, without fans adding nerves to your game I cannot say best round. 

He played extremely well and deserves the accolades. Well done. Fans still change the dynamic.