IGNORED

2020 U.S. Open at Winged Foot

iacas
Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I actually played Winged Foot well off the tee. But the greens there are the toughest I’ve ever played in my life. I don’t lie when I say I had a couple four-putts and I’m not a three-putt player. It is brutally tough.

I heard they cut the rough today and when asked why the superintendent said because they were afraid the winning score could be extremely high   If they didn’t. Apparently the course is really dry and firm and it’s supposed to get drier. There’s worry the greens could get out of control this week. I loved Rory’s quite. They asked him if under par could win and he laughed and said “Not a chance.”

That's how I felt about Pinehurst when I played it. The greens are just ridiculous. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Need to knock the honey do list out early this morning so I can watch the first round. I couldn't believe the stat I read yesterday. In the 5 U.S. Opens held at Winged Foot, only 2 players have ever finished under par! Fuzzy and Greg Norman clear back in '84. 

Makes me wonder if the field cringes when the schedule is announced and they find out the open is at Winged Foot? I would think it has to start in on you mentally more than the game already does. 

Anyway, looking forward to some great humbling golf. I'm hoping Xander plays well and will also be pulling for Rory and DJ.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

48 minutes ago, Greg 504 said:

Need to knock the honey do list out early this morning so I can watch the first round. I couldn't believe the stat I read yesterday. In the 5 U.S. Opens held at Winged Foot, only 2 players have ever finished under par! Fuzzy and Greg Norman clear back in '84. 

Makes me wonder if the field cringes when the schedule is announced and they find out the open is at Winged Foot? I would think it has to start in on you mentally more than the game already does. 

Anyway, looking forward to some great humbling golf. I'm hoping Xander plays well and will also be pulling for Rory and DJ.

I'd like to think these guys are mentally strong enough to understand that the situation will be different and if they don't shoot under par that it won't be a bad thing.

8 minutes ago, colin007 said:

LET'S GO TIGER!!!!!!!!!!

You know I'm rooting for Tiger but let's go Phil!!!!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

1 minute ago, RFKFREAK said:

I'd like to think these guys are mentally strong enough to understand that the situation will be different and if they don't shoot under par that it won't be a bad thing.

I would think so too. I know for me, it would be hard to think, "I'm shooting a pretty good round," and card 4 or 5 over after playing such a tough course. Will certainly be interesting to see how they react throughout the tournament.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

6 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

You know I'm rooting for Tiger but let's go Phil!!!!

Heck with those guys. Let's go Jim Herman.

You know I gotta pull for the Ohio guys.

19 hours ago, khalespace said:

I think I will subscribe to Peacock for a month. 

They have a free sign-up.  If you want to watch just the U.S. Open, there is no need to subscribe.  It's a free sign-up.  Granted you can subscribe to get more contents and ad-free movies.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, Greg 504 said:

I would think so too. I know for me, it would be hard to think, "I'm shooting a pretty good round," and card 4 or 5 over after playing such a tough course. Will certainly be interesting to see how they react throughout the tournament.

Yeah, I know it's different for them but I know when I'm having a good round, I know it.  Plus, based on what I estimate my handicap to be, I have a target score in mind so I'm usually aware of how I'm doing.  

Christian

18 minutes ago, colin007 said:

LET'S GO TIGER!!!!!!!!!!

Less than an hour before he tees off!

I hope he has his putter working this week.

Don

2 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Heck with those guys. Let's go Jim Herman.

You know I gotta pull for the Ohio guys.

Haha - I'm from NY and have zero connection to Ohio except caring about it once every 4 years. 😉

1 minute ago, Yukari said:

They have a free sign-up.  If you want to watch just the U.S. Open, there is no need to subscribe.  It's a free sign-up.  Granted you can subscribe to get more contents and ad-free movies.

Yup - just did that.  Don't really care about movies and the rest for the moment. 

Christian

Am I missing something?  It seems currently the Golfchannel is the only one with the live action.

I thought USOpen.com would have the live action as well.

I guess the USOpen.com only has U.S. Open 360 for now, and I will have to wait until 8:07 (EDT) for the featured groups to show up.

Don

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Yeah, watching Peacock featured groups right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here we go!

EEA100BB-F0A1-44CE-A752-75102D690C96.gif.cd1d25c8d7233aa4f967a16b4a1f484c.gif

Edited by woodzie264
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Great approach shot by Tiger!

Of course JT one ups it.

Don

Holy crap!  After seeing where Spieth's tee shot ended up on the second hole, now I know what happened to my tee shots that hit the tree.

🤣

Don

Nothing like watching golf....and getting paid.

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Spieth a train wreck. Also surprised to see Rory playing well early. Expected a rough week from him.

Greens are pretty quick for early Thursday. Given the dry air coming in tomorrow, it is gonna be interesting to see if it gets like Shinnecock from two years ago. These things could get scary.

Edited by ChrisP

Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!