Jump to content
iacas

Clever Use of Rules?

24 posts / 1578 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

To me an embedded ball should be much more obvious than that to give relief.  On tightly mowed ground to need to mark and pull your ball to possibly see the smallest of indentations in the ground is a little ridiculous.  

How would you change the wording of the rule to accomplish that?  Would you require a certain minimum penetration, a half-inch, maybe up to the equator of the ball?  The way its written, its relatively straightforward to interpret.  To do something more stringent would make it more difficult to measure and determine, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

How would you change the wording of the rule to accomplish that?  Would you require a certain minimum penetration, a half-inch, maybe up to the equator of the ball?  The way its written, its relatively straightforward to interpret.  To do something more stringent would make it more difficult to measure and determine, in my opinion.

Just change it similar to the rule for whether or not a ball went in a hazard or not.  It needs to be plugged in its own pitch mark "beyond reasonable doubt" or something similar.  It is pretty tough to put a measurement to it.  In this case, I don't think that CM gained an advantage by getting a drop.  It just seemed like a waste of time for him to ask for relief and the RO to give him relief.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, SG11118 said:

Just change it similar to the rule for whether or not a ball went in a hazard or not.  It needs to be plugged in its own pitch mark "beyond reasonable doubt" or something similar.  It is pretty tough to put a measurement to it.  In this case, I don't think that CM gained an advantage by getting a drop.  It just seemed like a waste of time for him to ask for relief and the RO to give him relief.  

Try to prove he doesn't have enough reasonable doubt to do what he did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Try to prove he doesn't have enough reasonable doubt to do what he did. 

There was obviously uncertainty and reasonable doubt with the rules official before he hemmed and hawed and said it was plugged.  If you had a beyond unreasonable doubt clause, the official could have quickly denied the claim.  If you don't have a rules official, if golfer and a playing partner agree ball is plugged beyond reasonable doubt, then it is plugged.  

I honestly don't care that much.  I wouldn't have ever tried to claim that ball was plugged though.  I would have been thankful it didn't roll all the way down the hill and counted my blessings, and played the shot as it layed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SG11118 said:

Just change it similar to the rule for whether or not a ball went in a hazard or not.  It needs to be plugged in its own pitch mark "beyond reasonable doubt" or something similar.  It is pretty tough to put a measurement to it.  In this case, I don't think that CM gained an advantage by getting a drop.  It just seemed like a waste of time for him to ask for relief and the RO to give him relief.  

It was beyond reasonable doubt.

1 hour ago, SG11118 said:

There was obviously uncertainty and reasonable doubt with the rules official before he hemmed and hawed and said it was plugged.  If you had a beyond unreasonable doubt clause, the official could have quickly denied the claim.  If you don't have a rules official, if golfer and a playing partner agree ball is plugged beyond reasonable doubt, then it is plugged.  

The RO had it wrong at first.

The drop was fully legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

How would you change the wording of the rule to accomplish that?  Would you require a certain minimum penetration, a half-inch, maybe up to the equator of the ball?  The way its written, its relatively straightforward to interpret.  To do something more stringent would make it more difficult to measure and determine, in my opinion.

"where part of the ball is below the level of the ground."

Seems to be good enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Day 54 - Trying to get comfortable with this new setup, just hitting some balls indoors. 
    • I’ve never tinkered with swing weight before, and when I build a set of irons I usually just settle for the feel of the clubs as-built with the idea that I’ll eventually get used to the different feel. That said, my main set of irons feels perfect to me (probably just familiarity with them), and adjusting swing weight is something I’d like to be able to do in the future to make my other sets feel closer to them. I’ve just never invested the time to work on it. 
    • Day 321 Did mirror work on takeaway/backswing piece, and then hit balls with 7-iron and 3W working on hip turn piece. 
    • You know, as a musician I find a lot of similarities between learning a musical instrument and golf. I don’t think I’ve found any two hobbies more similar.    When it comes to equipment, the similarities hold true. A professional guitarist will be able to make a cheap First Act guitar from Walmart sing in the same way a scratch golfer will play scratch golf regardless if he uses his own clubs or yours. The overall result is pretty much the same regardless of the equipment. The skill of the player eclipses it in importance.    I think in both hobbies, cheap equipment has come a long way, to the point where the differences are subtle. In golf I notice more expensive clubs have less cosmetic defects. The material is better, meaning the clubs are less likely to break, and definitely in the case of wedges/irons wear down. But is that to say a cheap club is going to break in a year? Probably not. To be honest, most of it just feel. The strike of an expensive club feels smoother, sounds better, and frankly is a more enjoyable experience in most cases to hit. 
    • So, that's really a thing? Never even heard of it. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Alecb
      Alecb
      (23 years old)
    2. BamaWade
      BamaWade
      (45 years old)
    3. Breaka100
      Breaka100
      (80 years old)
    4. dust1978
      dust1978
      (42 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...