Greg 504

Golfing after Open Heart Surgery

17 posts / 818 viewsLast Reply

TST friends, two weeks from today, I'll be up at Cleveland Clinic having a pretty major surgery for my Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy. It will be open heart surgery (OHS) and I'm having a myectomy, MAZE procedure and probable mitral valve repair. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease. However, the myectomy will remove a portion of heart muscle that is causing an obstruction to my outflow tract that supplies oxygenated blood to my body. The MAZE procedure will be an attempt to end/control my Afib issues as an atrial ablation only lasted 8-9 months. The possible mitral valve repair will be conducted if my mitral valve doesn't "flatten and close" properly once the obstruction is removed.

To say I'm scared and nervous is an understatement. However, I am looking forward to a better quality of life and longevity of life for myself and my family. I am not looking forward to the recovery and rehab and subsequent "lay off" from golf. 

All this to ask what to expect from other OHS patients or members who have family members that golf that have had OHS. What is reasonable to expect to start chipping/putting? Getting back to a 3/4 swing or playing a round? I have read any where between 6-12 weeks. I will certainly follow my teams advice and not be the typical hard-headed male and do my own thing. I'm just hoping for an idea of what to expect and if other OHS patients experienced any unexpected hiccups in their game trying to get back into it, having to change shaft stiffness, etc. 

Thanks in advance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't offer any guidance then what you already said, follow your doctor's guidance.  I can tell you that my partner's wife has had heart issues since her 20's and is now in her 60's and they feel Cleveland Clinic saved her life and is the best available.  You should be in very good hands.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Edited by StuM
Add content.

2 hours ago, Greg 504 said:

TST friends, two weeks from today, I'll be up at Cleveland Clinic having a pretty major surgery for my Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy. It will be open heart surgery (OHS) and I'm having a myectomy, MAZE procedure and probable mitral valve repair. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease. However, the myectomy will remove a portion of heart muscle that is causing an obstruction to my outflow tract that supplies oxygenated blood to my body. The MAZE procedure will be an attempt to end/control my Afib issues as an atrial ablation only lasted 8-9 months. The possible mitral valve repair will be conducted if my mitral valve doesn't "flatten and close" properly once the obstruction is removed.

To say I'm scared and nervous is an understatement. However, I am looking forward to a better quality of life and longevity of life for myself and my family. I am not looking forward to the recovery and rehab and subsequent "lay off" from golf. 

All this to ask what to expect from other OHS patients or members who have family members that golf that have had OHS. What is reasonable to expect to start chipping/putting? Getting back to a 3/4 swing or playing a round? I have read any where between 6-12 weeks. I will certainly follow my teams advice and not be the typical hard-headed male and do my own thing. I'm just hoping for an idea of what to expect and if other OHS patients experienced any unexpected hiccups in their game trying to get back into it, having to change shaft stiffness, etc. 

Thanks in advance.

My dad, a cardiologist himself, had a similar procedure (myectomy, and once they got in there, also a double bypass) about 25 years ago. He doesn't play golf, but he was up and working from bed the next day! Best of luck to you, hope you're back and golfing soon!

Maybe 6 weeks for putting. I’m 72 in excellent condition. I had a triple bypass on June 9th. Both my cardiologist and the surgeon we definitive that 12 weeks was the minimum for full swing. 

I started walking and progressed to very light resistance workouts. At about 6 weeks I was putting. I drove the cart for my wife and placed my ball wherever she wound up on the green. From there it became a putting contest, we’re very competitive.

At 8 weeks I started short swings with my 54 and progressed to 3/4 shots with the same club for the next three weeks. Also at 8 weeks my Dr cleared me for bike riding, swimming and everything but lifting more than 35 Lbs and, of course, the full swing. 

I hit my 12 week point last week and played an easy but tentative 9 with my wife on Monday and hit balls the next day with no issues. We’re playing 18 this afternoon. 

Good luck, the better shape you’re in going in the better your recovery but expect the first few days to be very hard but do your work and you’ll be back. 

I also don't have the answer, @Greg 504. I wish you the very best. I too know how scary these things can be and I empathize with you. Follow the doc's advice and you'll be back duffing them before you know it!

4 hours ago, chspeed said:

My dad, a cardiologist himself, had a similar procedure (myectomy, and once they got in there, also a double bypass) about 25 years ago. He doesn't play golf, but he was up and working from bed the next day! Best of luck to you, hope you're back and golfing soon!

Wow! Back to work the next day from bed. Great drive and dedication to his profession.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and well wishes.

@BobC, thanks for your input. Your progress seems to go hand and hand with what I have researched. Glad to hear you are back to playing and a great idea going out with your wife early to putt. I've mentally prepared and physically prepared the best I can. I am very restricted by my cardiology team as it relates to my disease and my increased risk of sudden cardia arrest (SCA). It seems I've played golf nearly every single day for the past two weeks and will continue to for the next couple leading up to my surgery!

@Zippo, thanks man and I will follow the teams instructions to a "tee." I hope you are continuing to do well too. 

@Greg 504If I read correctly, your MAZE Procedure at Cleveland Clinic was last week.  Hope you are doing well.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, BobC said:

Maybe 6 weeks for putting. I’m 72 in excellent condition. I had a triple bypass on June 9th. Both my cardiologist and the surgeon we definitive that 12 weeks was the minimum for full swing. 

I started walking and progressed to very light resistance workouts. At about 6 weeks I was putting. I drove the cart for my wife and placed my ball wherever she wound up on the green. From there it became a putting contest, we’re very competitive.

At 8 weeks I started short swings with my 54 and progressed to 3/4 shots with the same club for the next three weeks. Also at 8 weeks my Dr cleared me for bike riding, swimming and everything but lifting more than 35 Lbs and, of course, the full swing. 

I hit my 12 week point last week and played an easy but tentative 9 with my wife on Monday and hit balls the next day with no issues. We’re playing 18 this afternoon. 

Good luck, the better shape you’re in going in the better your recovery but expect the first few days to be very hard but do your work and you’ll be back. 

Bob,

My double by-pass surgery was two weeks ago tomorrow and so far so good. I was searching for how long before golf was possible when I found this site. Like you, I'm 70 and in excellent health overall. I really appreciate your description of your experience. It was very helpful.

Thanks for your input,

Marvin Cinnamon

Hey all, I've been home for about 8 days now since my procedures on the 24th. Overall, I am doing quite well. I've been walking at least 1.75 miles each day and the longest has been 2.41 miles collectively through out the day. My incisions are healing well. I've had some Afib issues post-op but I also dealt with that pre-op. It will get better the further along I am in recovery.

My surgeon, also a golfer, said there should be no reason I can't play a full round of golf in 8 weeks. I was surprised and he reiterated for me to just listen to my body and start out slow. I know not to expect to pick up where I left off. I would be happy to be out chipping and putting by then. Maybe try 9 on an executive course and play from the reds.

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement and checking in on me. I really appreciate it. 

Greg... that is great to hear!  Glad things went well.  Hey, 8 weeks in Autumn/Winter is no big deal.  Good timing... at least things didn't go down in the Spring robbing you of a summer of golf.  The best thing here is that your surgeon is a golfer.  Ironically, I just got back from the range where I bumped into a golfing friend of mine.  He's a heart surgeon and took up golf 4 years ago.  He was ecstatic about shooting his all time low last week... an 86.  If I ever have heart problems that's the guy I'm going to see!

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Greg... that is great to hear!  Glad things went well.  Hey, 8 weeks in Autumn/Winter is no big deal.  Good timing... at least things didn't go down in the Spring robbing you of a summer of golf.  The best thing here is that your surgeon is a golfer.  Ironically, I just got back from the range where I bumped into a golfing friend of mine.  He's a heart surgeon and took up golf 4 years ago.  He was ecstatic about shooting his all time low last week... an 86.  If I ever have heart problems that's the guy I'm going to see!

I agree with the timing being pretty good if it had to happen. It just so happens my mom recently bought a condo in Fort Myers. They have an 18 hole executive course right there at the complex, so I may be heading south around Thanksgiving and or Christmas. Hell, maybe several times through the winter. I mean, I am retired now, so why not. 

Thinking I may break the putter out towards the end of the week and roll a few here inside the house. 

Heart surgeons are good friends to have! Hopefully you will never require his professional expertise.

Hey Greg, great things are working out well for you. My brother went though a triple bypass and only because he was in such good shape, think he was slower getting to a full swing because he was worried about damage to his scar lol. He was 60ish and still fit at 75, now I outdrive him lol. I had a gallbladder removed 13 months ago that went badly, I’m about 90% recovered after a year and playing my first 9 holes in 14 months. Just keep moving and improving slowly does it...  take care