Jump to content
Greg 504

Golfing after Open Heart Surgery

17 posts / 818 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

TST friends, two weeks from today, I'll be up at Cleveland Clinic having a pretty major surgery for my Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy. It will be open heart surgery (OHS) and I'm having a myectomy, MAZE procedure and probable mitral valve repair. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease. However, the myectomy will remove a portion of heart muscle that is causing an obstruction to my outflow tract that supplies oxygenated blood to my body. The MAZE procedure will be an attempt to end/control my Afib issues as an atrial ablation only lasted 8-9 months. The possible mitral valve repair will be conducted if my mitral valve doesn't "flatten and close" properly once the obstruction is removed.

To say I'm scared and nervous is an understatement. However, I am looking forward to a better quality of life and longevity of life for myself and my family. I am not looking forward to the recovery and rehab and subsequent "lay off" from golf. 

All this to ask what to expect from other OHS patients or members who have family members that golf that have had OHS. What is reasonable to expect to start chipping/putting? Getting back to a 3/4 swing or playing a round? I have read any where between 6-12 weeks. I will certainly follow my teams advice and not be the typical hard-headed male and do my own thing. I'm just hoping for an idea of what to expect and if other OHS patients experienced any unexpected hiccups in their game trying to get back into it, having to change shaft stiffness, etc. 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't offer any guidance then what you already said, follow your doctor's guidance.  I can tell you that my partner's wife has had heart issues since her 20's and is now in her 60's and they feel Cleveland Clinic saved her life and is the best available.  You should be in very good hands.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Edited by StuM
Add content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Greg 504 said:

TST friends, two weeks from today, I'll be up at Cleveland Clinic having a pretty major surgery for my Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy. It will be open heart surgery (OHS) and I'm having a myectomy, MAZE procedure and probable mitral valve repair. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this disease. However, the myectomy will remove a portion of heart muscle that is causing an obstruction to my outflow tract that supplies oxygenated blood to my body. The MAZE procedure will be an attempt to end/control my Afib issues as an atrial ablation only lasted 8-9 months. The possible mitral valve repair will be conducted if my mitral valve doesn't "flatten and close" properly once the obstruction is removed.

To say I'm scared and nervous is an understatement. However, I am looking forward to a better quality of life and longevity of life for myself and my family. I am not looking forward to the recovery and rehab and subsequent "lay off" from golf. 

All this to ask what to expect from other OHS patients or members who have family members that golf that have had OHS. What is reasonable to expect to start chipping/putting? Getting back to a 3/4 swing or playing a round? I have read any where between 6-12 weeks. I will certainly follow my teams advice and not be the typical hard-headed male and do my own thing. I'm just hoping for an idea of what to expect and if other OHS patients experienced any unexpected hiccups in their game trying to get back into it, having to change shaft stiffness, etc. 

Thanks in advance.

My dad, a cardiologist himself, had a similar procedure (myectomy, and once they got in there, also a double bypass) about 25 years ago. He doesn't play golf, but he was up and working from bed the next day! Best of luck to you, hope you're back and golfing soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe 6 weeks for putting. I’m 72 in excellent condition. I had a triple bypass on June 9th. Both my cardiologist and the surgeon we definitive that 12 weeks was the minimum for full swing. 
 

I started walking and progressed to very light resistance workouts. At about 6 weeks I was putting. I drove the cart for my wife and placed my ball wherever she wound up on the green. From there it became a putting contest, we’re very competitive.
 

At 8 weeks I started short swings with my 54 and progressed to 3/4 shots with the same club for the next three weeks. Also at 8 weeks my Dr cleared me for bike riding, swimming and everything but lifting more than 35 Lbs and, of course, the full swing. 
 

I hit my 12 week point last week and played an easy but tentative 9 with my wife on Monday and hit balls the next day with no issues. We’re playing 18 this afternoon. 
 

Good luck, the better shape you’re in going in the better your recovery but expect the first few days to be very hard but do your work and you’ll be back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also don't have the answer, @Greg 504. I wish you the very best. I too know how scary these things can be and I empathize with you. Follow the doc's advice and you'll be back duffing them before you know it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chspeed said:

My dad, a cardiologist himself, had a similar procedure (myectomy, and once they got in there, also a double bypass) about 25 years ago. He doesn't play golf, but he was up and working from bed the next day! Best of luck to you, hope you're back and golfing soon!

Wow! Back to work the next day from bed. Great drive and dedication to his profession.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and well wishes.

@BobC, thanks for your input. Your progress seems to go hand and hand with what I have researched. Glad to hear you are back to playing and a great idea going out with your wife early to putt. I've mentally prepared and physically prepared the best I can. I am very restricted by my cardiology team as it relates to my disease and my increased risk of sudden cardia arrest (SCA). It seems I've played golf nearly every single day for the past two weeks and will continue to for the next couple leading up to my surgery!

@Zippo, thanks man and I will follow the teams instructions to a "tee." I hope you are continuing to do well too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Greg 504If I read correctly, your MAZE Procedure at Cleveland Clinic was last week.  Hope you are doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, BobC said:

Maybe 6 weeks for putting. I’m 72 in excellent condition. I had a triple bypass on June 9th. Both my cardiologist and the surgeon we definitive that 12 weeks was the minimum for full swing. 
 

I started walking and progressed to very light resistance workouts. At about 6 weeks I was putting. I drove the cart for my wife and placed my ball wherever she wound up on the green. From there it became a putting contest, we’re very competitive.
 

At 8 weeks I started short swings with my 54 and progressed to 3/4 shots with the same club for the next three weeks. Also at 8 weeks my Dr cleared me for bike riding, swimming and everything but lifting more than 35 Lbs and, of course, the full swing. 
 

I hit my 12 week point last week and played an easy but tentative 9 with my wife on Monday and hit balls the next day with no issues. We’re playing 18 this afternoon. 
 

Good luck, the better shape you’re in going in the better your recovery but expect the first few days to be very hard but do your work and you’ll be back. 

Bob,

My double by-pass surgery was two weeks ago tomorrow and so far so good. I was searching for how long before golf was possible when I found this site. Like you, I'm 70 and in excellent health overall. I really appreciate your description of your experience. It was very helpful.

Thanks for your input,

Marvin Cinnamon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, I've been home for about 8 days now since my procedures on the 24th. Overall, I am doing quite well. I've been walking at least 1.75 miles each day and the longest has been 2.41 miles collectively through out the day. My incisions are healing well. I've had some Afib issues post-op but I also dealt with that pre-op. It will get better the further along I am in recovery.

My surgeon, also a golfer, said there should be no reason I can't play a full round of golf in 8 weeks. I was surprised and he reiterated for me to just listen to my body and start out slow. I know not to expect to pick up where I left off. I would be happy to be out chipping and putting by then. Maybe try 9 on an executive course and play from the reds.

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement and checking in on me. I really appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Greg... that is great to hear!  Glad things went well.  Hey, 8 weeks in Autumn/Winter is no big deal.  Good timing... at least things didn't go down in the Spring robbing you of a summer of golf.  The best thing here is that your surgeon is a golfer.  Ironically, I just got back from the range where I bumped into a golfing friend of mine.  He's a heart surgeon and took up golf 4 years ago.  He was ecstatic about shooting his all time low last week... an 86.  If I ever have heart problems that's the guy I'm going to see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Greg... that is great to hear!  Glad things went well.  Hey, 8 weeks in Autumn/Winter is no big deal.  Good timing... at least things didn't go down in the Spring robbing you of a summer of golf.  The best thing here is that your surgeon is a golfer.  Ironically, I just got back from the range where I bumped into a golfing friend of mine.  He's a heart surgeon and took up golf 4 years ago.  He was ecstatic about shooting his all time low last week... an 86.  If I ever have heart problems that's the guy I'm going to see!

I agree with the timing being pretty good if it had to happen. It just so happens my mom recently bought a condo in Fort Myers. They have an 18 hole executive course right there at the complex, so I may be heading south around Thanksgiving and or Christmas. Hell, maybe several times through the winter. I mean, I am retired now, so why not. 

Thinking I may break the putter out towards the end of the week and roll a few here inside the house. 

Heart surgeons are good friends to have! Hopefully you will never require his professional expertise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Greg, great things are working out well for you. My brother went though a triple bypass and only because he was in such good shape, think he was slower getting to a full swing because he was worried about damage to his scar lol. He was 60ish and still fit at 75, now I outdrive him lol. I had a gallbladder removed 13 months ago that went badly, I’m about 90% recovered after a year and playing my first 9 holes in 14 months. Just keep moving and improving slowly does it...  take care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Golf: $600-900 depending on what courses we decide to play.   Stay is free, no cost for any of the nights at the lake house.   Everything else is kind of unknown at this time.  Am I missing anything? I'd provide a good portion of the food and drinks for the meals at the lake, but we may want to go out a couple nights for dinner, and I am no cook. We do have a grill and a full Kitchen at the Lake that we could use.   Btw, I'd recommend anyone who would be flying in to go through Minneapolis. It's only about 2 hours to the lake vs 3 from Milwaukee.    
    • Day 70 spent an hour on the range chipping/putting and getting some video of my full swing. I’ll get it up either tonight or tomorrow. 
    • Played a nearby muni course today.  Last time there - holes 15-17 were underwater (drainage issues) so we were not able to do a full round.  Today the course was back to normal and funny thing, fairways were dry and the ball loved to roll out!  The fronts of the greens were mush, plug the ball sticky.  Made for approach shots at the front of the green tricky because too steep a landing and you were rolling no where.  For a guy who just starting to consistently shoot in the 90's it made attacking the greens more challenging.  Keep thinking about how in LSW, to aim for the big area of the green and not hunt flags.  To be honest, I had a blast with the 50* wedge as I was putting the ball exactly where I saw it landing.  Overall - cannot complain shot a 96 (48/48), gold tees (translates to around 6100yds).  Only one triple, NO SNOW MEN!, but way too many doubles to overcome.  All in all drives were some of my best ever, with them either being on fairway or just off enough the S20 saw them as in the rough.  That's okay.  Not a bad day putting, still had some 3 putts but it was me not the putter or the greens which were reasonably fast.  Would love to play this one again soon, its just over an hour away so not too bad a drive.  Thinking about taking the missus there as she is saying she is ready to go play a round.   
    • Estimated total cost not including travel and food? Can be a wide range
    • I feel like I am very close to a semi-repeatable swing, so I plan to continue my Evolvr work through the winter.  We've made some great progress that is allowing me to hit the long clubs much, much better. I had been losing 6.5 shots a round to a scratch golfer in my ability to get off the tee and approach the green and haven't played much really since 2017. I don't have any disillusions about getting to scratch at this point in my life but a sub 5 golfer should be very attainable in the future.    
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Aldo Aitken
      Aldo Aitken
      (30 years old)
    2. Also Aitken
      Also Aitken
      (30 years old)
    3. CJK
      CJK
      (62 years old)
    4. Coffin-dodger
      Coffin-dodger
      (70 years old)
    5. Greg55
      Greg55
      (65 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...