Southern by Choice

Fair but Speedy Tournament Play

1 post / 252 viewsLast Reply

I’m President of a Women's Golf League and am planning our upcoming League Championship.  I want to keep things fair while avoiding a 5-hour round.  CAN WE SET A MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STROKES PER HOLE AND STILL BE FAIR TO ALL PLAYERS?

—There will be both NET and GROSS winners.

—We currently set max strokes/hole at net double bogey for regular League play.

—Our members can play to a maximum 38 course handicap.  We have a handful of players with HI's in the 'teens; most are mid-to-high 20s, some are in the 30s, but there’s clearly a wide range of abilities.

—The lower handicappers think net bogey max favors the HIGH handicappers, since they can pick up and record a score of 9 on a par 5...when they might actually have needed more strokes to actually hole out.

I think it is painful and slow to have to hole everything out when a player is struggling with their 12th or 13th stroke...and it happens, of course.  While this is a competitive league, we are also supposed to enjoy ourselves—something unlikely to happen after a 5-hour round in 95-degree weather.

I believe the better players will win the gross rounds, and that picking up after net double bogey will not appreciably affect results for net winners.   What say you?