khalespace

Driving Range With Only Simulators

7 posts / 443 viewsLast Reply

Hey everyone, 

I am thinking about building a Golf Simulator in my garage and a business idea comes to me. Has anyone seen a driving range with golf simulators only? Is it a good business idea with a golf simulator driving range? If you are working on your swing and need accurate ball flight and spin numbers then I think a golf simulator with a good launch monitor can provide much better feedback than at the driving range. Besides, you have no issue with weather, wind or sun right in your face. Would you pay $10 to $15 an hour to use a golf simulator?

Thanks,

Edited by khalespace
grammar

3 hours ago, khalespace said:

Hey everyone, 

I am thinking about building a Golf Simulator in my garage and a business idea comes to me. Has anyone seen a driving range with golf simulators only? Is it a good business idea with a golf simulator driving range? If you are working on your swing and need accurate ball flight and spin numbers then I think a golf simulator with a good launch monitor can provide much better feedback than at the driving range. Besides, you have no issue with weather, wind or sun right in your face. Would you pay $10 to $15 an hour to use a golf simulator?

Thanks,

I'm not sure where you are located. But there are two such places near where I live. The one I like is a place called "The Range", I know, clever, right? It's in Dublin, OH and it's pretty much what you describe. Although, it also has a bar, a workout area and an indoor putting area. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, khalespace said:

Has anyone seen a driving range with golf simulators only?

I think this is pretty common. $10-15/hour seems really low to be able to make back the initial investment on equipment, and eventually make money. Where I take my lessons, there are indoor practice bays, with cameras and launch monitors. You can use it as a simulated driving range, but they also have sim golf, so you could play a round if you wanted. I think it costs $50/hour. Seems expensive on the surface, but the startup cost and overhead for a setup like this is quite high - I think the launch monitors alone are around $25000, and then you need the computer/video hardware to run it all, and then consumable things like balls/high quality hitting surfaces/screen/nets, and that's not even taking into account rent, utilities, and operating staff.

Because I take lessons, I get one "free" hour of use of these practice areas in addition to each lesson. I put free in quotation marks, since it is obviously built into the cost of the lesson package.

22 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I think this is pretty common. $10-15/hour seems really low to be able to make back the initial investment on equipment, and eventually make money. Where I take my lessons, there are indoor practice bays, with cameras and launch monitors. You can use it as a simulated driving range, but they also have sim golf, so you could play a round if you wanted. I think it costs $50/hour. Seems expensive on the surface, but the startup cost and overhead for a setup like this is quite high - I think the launch monitors alone are around $25000, and then you need the computer/video hardware to run it all, and then consumable things like balls/high quality hitting surfaces/screen/nets, and that's not even taking into account rent, utilities, and operating staff.

Because I take lessons, I get one "free" hour of use of these practice areas in addition to each lesson. I put free in quotation marks, since it is obviously built into the cost of the lesson package.

Thank you for your information. I searched and surprisingly there is only 1 golf simulator range in my area. I live in Orange County, CA. I agree that $10 to $15 is too low. I will just focus on building my own golf simulator for now.

I usually expect $50 an hour in NYC, at the minimum. Maybe $35 in areas away from city center. I think I paid that much for Flightscope in Toronto, probably more.

The PGA Superstores have a $150/year deal to use its indoor range at its stores which is a great deal. The simulators are probably outdated, they're not Trackman, but there's lots of space and you can video yourself. Dunno how that's going to work this year with COVID.

This place opened near me recently.

Indoor Golf Studio

Prices are listed on the site.  I've never been.