IGNORED

Beginner Clubs Advice Please…

Note: This thread is 1300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I would regard myself as a beginner in that I have hit a lot of balls on the range (competently) but have only really played a dozen or so rounds of golf.

I wanted to upgrade my extremely basic set of irons and wanted advice between two sets for someone of my level.

The choice is between a set of Adam’s XTD clubs (2014, black metal, non-tour) or a set of Callaway Big Bertha (2008, Red coloured heads).

Any advice would be Really appreciated please.

Thanks

B37C94C2-4029-48FE-939D-5E86CC7B5C9C.jpeg

EF9C638C-D16C-4D55-844E-2266F8F0F49D.jpeg

Most everyone here will say Oh you must get fitted. To answer your question though: The Callaway clubs are an ultra game improvement club (according to the Maltby Playability Factor), and should be easier to hit than the Adams. The real test will be when you try them out, hopefully with a Trackman or some such technology, and how you hit them and how they feel to you. Best, -Marv

• Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pick the clubs you like the best.  They are going to be your clubs...not someone else's.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming both sets are similar pricing...IMO....it's an easy decision....the Adams XTD's.

The XTD have IMO....more technology vs. the Cally's....the XTD's have more than enough forgiveness for a beginner.

After playing a set of Mizuno 825 Pro's with KBS Tour stiff's that I won a eBay auction for a steal...$165 Cdn...the shafts felt just a tad stout on the 6 & 5 irons...so I sold them......I was curious how the KBS Tours would play in regular...I found a set of Adams XTD A Tours for only $135 Cdn....I really like these irons...but felt the were shafts a bit too whippy.

Now I'm back to the KBS Tour stiffs in a set of Rocketbladez Tours and loving them...go figure.

A friend of a friend let me play his XTD Forged irons...I was in Toronto and didn't bring my clubs....an amazing set of irons.

I've also owned Adams hybrids & FW's in the past.

Just before TM bought out Adams...they were putting out QUALITY clubs that went under the radar.

Pre-Covid....used Adams clubs could be bought very cheap if you found a deal.

Edited by Mr22putt
  • Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to Beginner Clubs Advice Please…
Note: This thread is 1300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!