IGNORED

Driver Shaft Alternatives After Club Fit

Note: This thread is 1285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)
On 9/28/2020 at 2:31 PM, Adam C said:

Loft will always play a much larger role in spin and launch angle than any shaft will so it may make sense to get a lower lofted head to start with. I might look at a 9 degree Callaway Rogue Driver or similar. It's a couple models old at this point but you can still find them and since you already have a Callaway wouldn't be a huge change in feel. Callaway also has a great pre-owned site where you can get some really good deals on used and like new equipment.

I just have serious doubts that the simple shaft change will really do much for your issue over the long haul so a head change makes more sense to me.

Hey @Adam C

Rogue 9 Def with Stiff sheet or Reg?

What about the draw bias one. Would that help at all? Or just a gimmick. 

Thanks again

John 

Edited by Johnnyboy4458
N

15 minutes ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Hey @Adam C

Rogue 9 Def with Stiff sheet or Reg?

What about the draw bias one. Would that help at all? Or just a gimmick. 

Thanks again

John 

John, stiffer shaft will usually cut down on spin and launch height a little but flex really comes down more to feel. I would just try and match up flex with the rest of your bag for that part.

The draw bias just has more weight moved towards the heel promoting more draw gear effect. Also usually has a sole design that forces the club to sit closed when you just sit it on the ground. If you fight a slice and you don't mind that closed address position, the draw won't hurt you. Otherwise stick to the regular version.

Also if you're buying from the Callaway Pre Owned site, I have a free shipping code if you want it. Had a hybrid I was considering and had in my cart overnight and they sent me the shipping code. Club went out of stock while I was debating so could not use.

3 minutes ago, Adam C said:

John, stiffer shaft will usually cut down on spin and launch height a little but flex really comes down more to feel. I would just try and match up flex with the rest of your bag for that part.

The draw bias just has more weight moved towards the heel promoting more draw gear effect. Also usually has a sole design that forces the club to sit closed when you just sit it on the ground. If you fight a slice and you don't mind that closed address position, the draw won't hurt you. Otherwise stick to the regular version.

Yeh I do fight a slice hence the high spin rate and high trajectory I'm finding. I find it almost impossible to draw a ball haha. Mini fade is my shot. 

Shop the award-winning Rogue Sub Zero Driver online, directly from...

Thoughts on the below? Subzero seems to help a little more with high spin players Vs the standard.

19 minutes ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Yeh I do fight a slice hence the high spin rate and high trajectory I'm finding. I find it almost impossible to draw a ball haha. Mini fade is my shot. 

Shop the award-winning Rogue Sub Zero Driver online, directly from...

Thoughts on the below? Subzero seems to help a little more with high spin players Vs the standard.

The subzero line is better for higher speed swings so you would need to evaluate that for yourself. It's also less forgiving on toe and heel strikes because the cg is closer to the face so you get more twisting. It's always a give and take with this game. My default stance is always go with the more forgiving option. Also the standard version is slightly draw biased, the sub zero is neutral to fade if anything.

10 hours ago, Adam C said:

The subzero line is better for higher speed swings so you would need to evaluate that for yourself. It's also less forgiving on toe and heel strikes because the cg is closer to the face so you get more twisting. It's always a give and take with this game. My default stance is always go with the more forgiving option. Also the standard version is slightly draw biased, the sub zero is neutral to fade if anything.

Thanks @Adam C.

Looks like Callaway pre-owned have a 14 day satisfaction guarantee which is good.

What about this below? Similar weight to the one I was fitted for. They have other shafts below but heavier. 

OTHERS**ALDILA ROGUE WHITE MSI 130 60 GR

OTHERS**TT PROJECT X SMOKE 70 GR 

Screenshot_20201006-080827_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Thanks @Adam C.

Looks like Callaway pre-owned have a 14 day satisfaction guarantee which is good.

What about this below? Similar weight to the one I was fitted for. They have other shafts below but heavier. 

OTHERS**ALDILA ROGUE WHITE MSI 130 60 GR

OTHERS**TT PROJECT X SMOKE 70 GR 

Screenshot_20201006-080827_Chrome.jpg

That seems like a good option. I personally like the Rogue shaft line but the Project X shafts are also good. As far as weight goes I would drop 5-10 grams off what your 3 wood is to decide on the weight.

24 minutes ago, Adam C said:

That seems like a good option. I personally like the Rogue shaft line but the Project X shafts are also good. As far as weight goes I would drop 5-10 grams off what your 3 wood is to decide on the weight.

Hey @Adam C

Thanks as always. I dont hit a 3 wood and the fitter suggested my hybrid was a mess 🙂

Im just basing the weight off the shaft he suggested I got from the fit for which was 50gr on the VL SLAY shaft.

Alternative is the  Rogue Draw in 9deg/Stiff with either:

-  Adilla Synergy 50 

- Grafolloy Projext X Even Flow Blue 60 (Rogue)

My ultimate goal here is to get some help coming in to out (which I know is mainly technique but club can help). And also reduce Spin and gain distance by using a newer model driver than my Xhot.

Note: If I stuck with a 10.5 there are more options on the site but I do hit pretty high already, but maybe a stiff shaft might reduce that height enough by itself?

1 hour ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Hey @Adam C

Thanks as always. I dont hit a 3 wood and the fitter suggested my hybrid was a mess 🙂

Im just basing the weight off the shaft he suggested I got from the fit for which was 50gr on the VL SLAY shaft.

Alternative is the  Rogue Draw in 9deg/Stiff with either:

-  Adilla Synergy 50 

- Grafolloy Projext X Even Flow Blue 60 (Rogue)

My ultimate goal here is to get some help coming in to out (which I know is mainly technique but club can help). And also reduce Spin and gain distance by using a newer model driver than my Xhot.

Note: If I stuck with a 10.5 there are more options on the site but I do hit pretty high already, but maybe a stiff shaft might reduce that height enough by itself?

Don't go with 10.5, stick with 9. Shaft flex and profile will have very little effect on height. Loft is a far greater influence. Remember these clubs are adjustable so you can alway take the 9 and loft it up to 10 etc. This will also cause the club to sit more closed which will help you. Yes, you can do the same with a 10.5 and loft down but you then open the face more thereby promoting a slice.

5 hours ago, Adam C said:

Don't go with 10.5, stick with 9. Shaft flex and profile will have very little effect on height. Loft is a far greater influence. Remember these clubs are adjustable so you can alway take the 9 and loft it up to 10 etc. This will also cause the club to sit more closed which will help you. Yes, you can do the same with a 10.5 and loft down but you then open the face more thereby promoting a slice.

@Adam C Tricky one to call I know but these are the shafts available in 9deg Stiff:

MCA TENSEI AV BLUE 60 GR

EVEN FLOW GREEN 50 GR

TT PROJECT X SMOKE 60

All roughly the same price but the Smoke being in Good condition Vs Very good for the others.

Gun go your head which one you going for?

Thanks again

John

3 hours ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

@Adam C Tricky one to call I know but these are the shafts available in 9deg Stiff:

MCA TENSEI AV BLUE 60 GR

EVEN FLOW GREEN 50 GR

TT PROJECT X SMOKE 60

All roughly the same price but the Smoke being in Good condition Vs Very good for the others.

Gun go your head which one you going for?

Thanks again

John

Green is probably closest to the original fitted shaft.

42 minutes ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Thanks @Adam C

Just thinking out loud here. The Epics lofts are adjustable. So am I better off getting it at 10.5 then that gives me the ability to go down to 9.5 or up to 11.5? 

Thanks again for your help. 

John 

Without seeing your driver swing....it's near impossible for anyone here to provide a good suggestion for you.

If you are spinning your driver 6500 RPM.....I'd say it's poor technique vs. equipment issue....not to say a stiffer shaft or lower lofted head wouldn't help to lower the trajectory.....I'm thinking you're hitting poor high slices.

I think one really needs to see you hit the ball at the range and when you do hit proper drives whether a 9.5/10.5/11.5 head is best suited.....dispersion counts too.

IMO....the average golfer isn't generating enough club head speed to hit a head lower than 10.5....I've always believe loft helps....especially with dispersion.

14 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Without seeing your driver swing....it's near impossible for anyone here to provide a good suggestion for you.

If you are spinning your driver 6500 RPM.....I'd say it's poor technique vs. equipment issue....not to say a stiffer shaft or lower lofted head wouldn't help to lower the trajectory.....I'm thinking you're hitting poor high slices.

I think one really needs to see you hit the ball at the range and when you do hit proper drives whether a 9.5/10.5/11.5 head is best suited.....dispersion counts too.

IMO....the average golfer isn't generating enough club head speed to hit a head lower than 10.5....I've always believe loft helps....especially with dispersion.

Hey,

So I went on a monitor today and it's more like 4600 which as you pointed out is a poor slice when hit badly. Out to in classic.

Moved to a stiff 70gm shaft in a Maverick and it dropped to 2800 which is high but improved. My swing is 90% the issue here so I agree.

Swing speed 92mph. Ball speed 125. 

Thanks

John 

2 hours ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

So I went on a monitor today and it's more like 4600 which as you pointed out is a poor slice when hit badly. Out to in classic.

Moved to a stiff 70gm shaft in a Maverick and it dropped to 2800 which is high but improved. My swing is 90% the issue here so I agree.

Swing speed 92mph. Ball speed 125. 

I'm no expert...but 4600 is still far too high....and I would assume it to be more swing issue mechanics vs. equipment....but glad to hear it was lower with a Mavrik.

Back in Feb....I was able to demo most of the latest OEM drivers in a sim....a well struck drive resulted in ball speeds of 138-142 mph with 228-232 carry....generally total distance around 245-253 total distance.....but with the Mavrik I got a few 260-262....likely more rollout with a lower spinning head.

BUT at my SS of 95-97 mph.....an uber low spin head isn't necessarily ideal for my swing. 

With your SS/ball speed I really believe you need a 10.5 head to help you generate trajectory and carry....but again I'm no expert....IMO...your high spin and trajectory (high cut slice) is due to mechanics vs. equipment.

Likely a shaft 60 gm or less is ideal.....all OEM shafts have different profiles....there is no standard....a stiff for one OEM can feel really soft with a high torque of 4.5 and a stiff in another OEM stiff shaft can play really stout at 2.9 torque....and each OEM has many many different shafts models and weights, etc.

I suggest you don't over complicate it....IMO.....it's all about FEEL....pick a shaft that FEELS the best that delivers you with a balance of distance and good dispersion.

Maybe rather than spend the $100+ on a new shaft....get a lesson(s) to correct your swing.

You can post a video of your swing on this site and there are sections in this forum where you can obtain some good swing tips from competent members here who can help guide you to fix some obvious issues.

Edited by Mr22putt

16 hours ago, Johnnyboy4458 said:

Thanks @Adam C

Just thinking out loud here. The Epics lofts are adjustable. So am I better off getting it at 10.5 then that gives me the ability to go down to 9.5 or up to 11.5? 

Thanks again for your help. 

John 

John:

Again if we are basing all this on trying to get that height and spin down using equipment, you are better off with the 9. Like I said above, if you need to loft up to 10.5, the result will also give you more draw bias in the set up which will be helpful to anyone who fades the ball. If you start at 10.5 and decide to loft down, you are then setting the club into a more fade bias setup which would probably be an issue.

• iacas changed the title to Driver Shaft Alternatives After Club Fit
Note: This thread is 1285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!