IGNORED

Gimmes

Effington
Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Inside the multi-compound elastomer.

thingima-jig?  Rolls-off the tongue better.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most of the golf I play is match play for money. We give putts, but nothing too difficult. My normal group consists of all low handicap players and we are very competitive.

There's nothing wrong with giving putts either to others or to yourself. I've played with guys so serious they are adamant they putt everything out. I personally don't care if they want to putt everything out, except for the fact they tend to slow everything down. All I ask those type of guys to do is, if they have to putt out every 2 footer that they don't look at it from four sides and plumb bob it for 4 minutes. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Most of the golf I play is match play for money. We give putts, but nothing too difficult. My normal group consists of all low handicap players and we are very competitive.

There's nothing wrong with giving putts either to others or to yourself. I've played with guys so serious they are adamant they putt everything out. I personally don't care if they want to putt everything out, except for the fact they tend to slow everything down. All I ask those type of guys to do is, if they have to putt out every 2 footer that they don't look at it from four sides and plumb bob it for 4 minutes. 

The only reason I can think of for not taking in casual games is for handicap recording. This brings up a query for me when it comes to what @iacas said about most likely score so here it is.

If I determine that I make 51% of putts from 5 feet, would it be allowed for me to take all of those (and anything inside) as gimmes and still record the round for handicap?

I wouldn't do such a thing, but it makes for a little more discussion.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

8 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The only reason I can think of for not taking in casual games is for handicap recording. This brings up a query for me when it comes to what @iacas said about most likely score so here it is.

If I determine that I make 51% of putts from 5 feet, would it be allowed for me to take all of those (and anything inside) as gimmes and still record the round for handicap?

Ah, but you would be missing out on shooting better scores if your make percentage of 5 footers went up to 65%.  Just giving you a hard time here but that would be like me saying I average 74 per round and not even having to bother with the expense or time of going out to play golf today, just put down a 74.  Remember, those 5 footers build character... or tear it down.  😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Ah, but you would be missing out on shooting better scores if your make percentage of 5 footers went up to 65%.  Just giving you a hard time here but that would be like me saying I average 74 per round and not even having to bother with the expense or time of going out to play golf today, just put down a 74.  Remember, those 5 footers build character... or tear it down.  😁

That's kind of the point. The most likely score should be reserved for rounds that are unable to be completed if you have already completed the required 13 holes or whatever it is. The only place gimmes have in golf is during match play IMO. The more gimmes you take in stroke play, the weaker a golfer you are (also IMO).

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

9 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Personally, I would never view a 5 footer as a "gimme". In our game you would rarely get a putt of that length given to you unless you were completely out of a hole and we were just tired of watching you hack it around.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

3 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Personally, I would never view a 5 footer as a "gimme". In our game you would rarely get a putt of that length given to you unless you were completely out of a hole and we were just tired of watching you hack it around.

I completely agree. The point is more about most likely score and potential abuse.

Like most things in life, there's a time and place for almost anything. Gimmes are no different. 

Casual , for fun rounds, where a true score is not an issue, golfers should play how ever they want. Gimmes do offer a faster pace of play in these types of round. 

I do believe the unmade, picked up putt should be counted, but to each their own. 

If the round being played is sanctioned, or for handicap purposes, then gimmes are a form cheating. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

You’d give yourself one stroke for the first one and two for the next one.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But if he ended his round on #18 with a 5 foot automatic 1-putt he'd be under his 51% average.

That would just be abusing the rule for the sake of abusing it.     That said, if you give yourself 51 of your next 100 5 footers, it’ll all weigh out in the end on your handicap. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

You’d give yourself one stroke for the first one and two for the next one.

What if I want to putt the next one? If I end up missing it, do I get to take the one after that? Even the USGA says it should always be a gimme from 5 feet on their site, seen here.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/3 3 When a Hole is Started but Player does not Hole Out.htm#:~:text=The most likely score is,during play of the hole.

I'm only bring this up because you mentioned that most likely score is a rule, and I think it is a bad one when it comes to anything other than a round being not completable.

If you look at the bottom example (more than 20 yards), it says 3-4 strokes should be added. Can I just tee off on a par 5 and then pick up and call it a par?

I know that the answer to this is "no" because it has to be a "valid" reason (most likely a 4 ball format or match play). It just irks me that they even have it in there at all, besides unfinished rounds which are easy to calculate based on a players HDCP.

And one final note: I'm just playing devils advocate here. I think that it is mostly good for discussion, but generally fruitless.

Edited by Bonvivant

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

What if I want to putt the next one? If I end up missing it, do I get to take the one after that? Even the USGA says it should always be a gimme from 5 feet on their site, seen here.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/3 3 When a Hole is Started but Player does not Hole Out.htm#:~:text=The most likely score is,during play of the hole.

I'm only bring this up because you mentioned that most likely score is a rule, and I think it is a bad one when it comes to anything other than a round being not completable.

Wow!  Looks like the USGA is conceding those 5 footers at a make rate of 100%!

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Wow!  Looks like the USGA is conceding those 5 footers at a make rate of 100%!

Yup, even to the 36 HDCP players....no caveat.

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I need to find a rules book that concedes my 10 footers!

If PoP gets bad enough, the USGA might instate it. It seems that acceptable PoP will be 3.5 hours per 9 by 2030 if trends continue.

Also, to add to all of this.  As far as the rules go for handicap purposes, no one really cares if you’re taking gimmies.   Feel free.   Take a couple 10 footers every round for all I care.  Get that handicap nice and low, then let’s play for some money, and see how well that handicap holds up. 

Edited by lastings
  • Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!