IGNORED

Gimmes

Effington
Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, Carl3 said:

Some guys were extra generous though and it caused some consternation as it hurt the field in our 20 person betting circle.

That's always the problem. Give an inch, take a mile. In our local game, everything must be holed. I suspect that it is for this exact reason. Requiring the ball to be holed makes it simple.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, darthweasel said:

If people want to give and take putts to each other, and it is not a tournament...knock yourself out but please, leave my ball alone.

This sums up how I feel. I like to putt everything out. Last weekend I played with a guy who seemed to feel anything within 5-6 feet was good, so he would just knock the ball back to me and say "it's good".

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

13 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Your avatar/photo is giving me vertigo

Sorry about that! I’m able to take the pictures fine, and they come out like I want them to, but when I try to put it as my avatar, it gets turned over for some reason.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

4 minutes ago, Sean_D said:

When I play with people whom I have never played with before, I always tell them on the 1st tee, "I plan on posting this score for my index and I need to finish each hole. I don't give putts and I don't take them." I stared doing this because people would "ship my ball back", and wait for me to give them a putt. I really don't care what they do, they can give themselves a 50-footer if they want. If we're competing, we're playing by the rules. If were not competing, I'm playing by the rules and they can do whatever they want.   

On the first tee when playing with strangers I usually say something about posting my score and wanting to putt everything out. It makes some guys uncomfortable- I guess they like giving putts so they themselves don't have to feel obligated to knock in those side-hill 3 footers...  My dad just taught me to play it as it lies and hit it until it's holed- it's not about gambling or anything for me, just taking pride in the score I write down as being my score and not "what I would've made".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chicub15 said:

I usually say something about posting my score and wanting to putt everything out. It makes some guys uncomfortable-

I can see how that might put some people off and be a little awkward. I just wait until the first "gimme" offer and then decline and indicate I will putt it out. I have never been in a situation where someone batts the ball back to me without asking first or allowing enough time to react.

If we are playing for money and you give me a 3 footer, I am picking it up, but that never seems to happen when money is on the line. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I used to care a lot about what other people did, but I realized that as long as I am not gambling with them, I have no reason to be upset. They paid their money to be on the course and they can play however they want.

That being said, I play with a fellow somewhat frequently (most likely will be less and less) that has an odd habit. Instead of just taking/raking the 3-5 footers, he goes ahead and putts them, missing almost all of them, and then announcing his score as if he made the putt! If you were to take his word for score, it is 10-12 shots lower than what he actually shoots.

Has anyone else run into someone that does this? I don't know if the fact that my friend and I putt everything out makes him feel like he has to as well, but can't bear to take the strokes that come from missing those "gimmes"

I think I've played with that guy. He goes with that "Well, I didn't really try. I'm sure I would have made it if I'd tried." I told him that nonchalant putts count just as much as chalant putts. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I play with a guy on occasion who takes roughly everything inside of 4 feet.  It started when he came back to the game a few years ago.  I remembered from previous rounds he'd get really mad when he missed a short putt... really mad!  So when he came back I allowed him to take anything under 5 feet for the first year so he (and I) could stay chill.  Often, when he plays on a day I don't play he'll text me afterwards to say he shot a 74... a 72.  I congratulate him but don't believe he did that... he's lost credibility with me, as far as gimmes.  Otherwise a good guy and a good golfer.  When putting out he averages around 78-79. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

^^I have never understood those types of golfers. Ones that have the potential to be mid to high 70s shooters, but take putts. They clearly have the long game ability, and often the short game ability, but refuse to practice putting at all and it shows.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

^^I have never understood those types of golfers. Ones that have the potential to be mid to high 70s shooters, but take putts. They clearly have the long game ability, and often the short game ability, but refuse to practice putting at all and it shows.

Yep, the putts I used to give Greg he now takes.  And he is a good putter, making a lot of 15 to 25 footers.  He thinks he should have no worse than a 2-putt.  So if his 30 footer comes up 4 feet short... it's good!

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yep, the putts I used to give Greg he now takes.  And he is a good putter, making a lot of 15 to 25 footers.  He thinks he should have no worse than a 2-putt.  So if his 30 footer comes up 4 feet short... it's good!

Utter madness

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

This thread is now closed. 

Too true.

• Like 1

I've played with two different golf groups this year. Group #1 is a competition group which putts everything out. No problems there, but it easily adds at least 20 minutes to a round for a foursome. Group #2 is a betting group with putts given. There's supposed to be a standard gimme, but it's subjective and some guys are very generous (and expect likewise). Personally I would prefer something in between, say 18 inches (or two feet) or less is good. The reality is if you take your time you aren't going to miss that many short ones and it's worth the 20 minutes saved IMO. But I don't make the rules for either group.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

This thread is now closed. 

You can pick up in medal play (rounds for a handicap). You only have to write down your most likely score.

• Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, gbogey said:

I've played with two different golf groups this year. Group #1 is a competition group which putts everything out. No problems there, but it easily adds at least 20 minutes to a round for a foursome. Group #2 is a betting group with putts given. There's supposed to be a standard gimme, but it's subjective and some guys are very generous (and expect likewise). Personally I would prefer something in between, say 18 inches (or two feet) or less is good. The reality is if you take your time you aren't going to miss that many short ones and it's worth the 20 minutes saved IMO. But I don't make the rules for either group.

Seems like a lot.  I would have thought it'd be a quarter of that.

Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!