IGNORED

Arccos Caddie Link

Note: This thread is 1213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, mdl said:

I've wondered this too. Maybe lower power use than bluetooth? Bluetooth is a major battery suck...

The tags still worked with your phone and I think are BT low energy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

The tags still worked with your phone and I think are BT low energy.

Not sure what you mean here. I've only used it with my phone. Could also be high frequency sounds actually have better range than bluetooth?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
1 hour ago, mdl said:

Not sure what you mean here. I've only used it with my phone. Could also be high frequency sounds actually have better range than bluetooth?

I'm saying that the tags have BTle in them, because that's how it works with your phone, right?

And your phone could be in your pocket or whatever, so I don't think the sounds were how your phone tracked or used the tags.

I think you're over-playing the role of the sounds from the tags.

30 seconds later… And, nope, I'm wrong.

1. One or more of the phone’s microphone is either dirty or malfunctioning -our sensors communicate to the phone’s microphone via high-frequency sound. If there are any issues with the phone’s microphone it could cause issues such as sensors not pairing and missing shots.

19dd811f848136999b5af200d236e2f07ae4dafd

The most common reasons for missing shots during a round is: The phone is not in the front pocket The phone has a case that is blocking the microphone Another app or program is blocking access t...

Well that seems dumb to me.

Also, it's "UV light" that activates the sensor. I thought I'd heard it was when the tags were inverted into a playing position. So, those of you with clear golf bags, good luck! 😄

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Found this in their FAQ: "Arccos Caddie Link will work with all our 2nd and 3rd generation, full set, non-Bluetooth products [...] It will not work with our 1st generation Bluetooth product [...]"

I guess the ultrasound solution can be made to run at much lower power, as suggested above. The batteries are not replaceable and supposed to last 5 years.

The first version was Bluetooth and did have replaceable batteries.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Coder said:

I guess the ultrasound solution can be made to run at much lower power, as suggested above. The batteries are not replaceable and supposed to last 5 years.

Five years if you play golf once a year and seal the clubs in UV-proof surroundings when you're not playing golf, eh?

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I think the flipping of the club turns the noise on. That is what "turns" the end cap thing "on" I thought. When the clubs are in the bag, the cap is "down," and flipping them up (with the clubhead down) is what says "the guy is hitting his 8I here!"

So what I'm saying is that the sound is unique to each tag so it knows what club you're hitting, and maybe it TAGS it when you hit the ball (I thought the vibrations did that, though), not the sound of contact.

Flipping the club up activates the tag. I believe it uses light and orientation do so. 

game golf or shot scope seem more certain way to register but requires effort. The pitch for Arccos is that it is “automatic”

I got to use the Caddie Link again today. Again clipped on the hem of my windbreaker but I folded the hem today when I clipped it on and it didn't come off (though i had the lanyard on it anyway). It works great. The only time it seems to miss a shot, sometimes, is on the second putt. I left my phone clipped to my cart so it was a simple matter to add that second putt, when needed. I found that I could often get it to register that second putt if, when I missed the first one, I covered the sensor on the end of the club as I was walking up for the next putt. Then I would move my hand from the sensor to the grip and putt normally and it would, usually, register. It is soooo nice not to have the phone in my pocket!

All in all, I'm really pleased with the Arccos system and the Caddie Link. I wish they'd have had these fun toys back when I was young and strong! But, I probably wouldn't have used it 'cause it would have interfered with the beer drinking! 😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 12:58 PM, iacas said:

Five years if you play golf once a year and seal the clubs in UV-proof surroundings when you're not playing golf, eh?

I work with folks in beta with a sports/fitness product that employs a sensor chip with a non-replaceable battery. Five years is probably with not a ton of rounds but low-power chips and embedded batteries are impressive these days. Two to three years with regular use is totally plausible.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 1213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!