IGNORED

What Is a Respectable Handicap?

ckp160
Note: This thread is 1273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Sounds like your club players could use an AimPoint Express lesson, and maybe an etiquette lesson too.

Don’t get me started 😩

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Respectable Handicap is tough, I "respect" anyone who respects the game regardless of their ability. I would say single digits would be a desirable handicap. I would rather play with players of that ability, there just aren't that many of them around. If I play with a higher handicap all I ask is they keep up and they pick up at a certain number. Please don't plumb bob a 5 footer for a 12.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:06 PM, iacas said:

I have personally gotten tired of looking for someone's golf ball. That can get old, fast, if you're doing it all the time.

I have to agree, I am willing to play with just about anyone, but at a certain point having to wait for someone to hit it 3-4 times between each of your shots begins to wear on you, as does constantly hunting for their ball. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 10/11/2020 at 7:06 PM, iacas said:

Most of the time you're right.

I have personally gotten tired of looking for someone's golf ball. That can get old, fast, if you're doing it all the time.

I golf most often with a friend and we play for skins...he sprays his drive often and it can get a bit tiresome.....so sometimes i don't bother helping him look for his ball...especially if it's quite opposite where my drive landed.

When we get paired up with random 2somes....who lose quite a few golf balls....I might only help them 20% of the time...unless they lose their ball near a 'honey hole' so I might go over to hawk some balls quickly looking for their golf ball....never spending time delaying the PoP.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, Vinsk said:

I’d rather play with a 30hcp who plays ready golf and tracks his ball than a scratch who annoys the f*** outta me.

I very very rarely get paired up with scratch players....they aren't common in random public play.....so I've never met an annoying scratch.

BUT

Years ago my wife asked me why I didn't play in more tournaments....I said.....I've played in a few events....but in my case...some of the single caps in the 4somes are so annoying and far too intense....the outings were not fun and not worth my time....life's too short...and I certainly didn't want to sit at the same table with some of them at the event's dinners.

I think we all agree that a pleasant companion who moves along is fine.  @iacas made a good observation that in addition to the previous two qualities, it helps to have someone who mainly keeps the ball in play.  Playing the role of "seeing eye golfer" does get old.

As to the question about the handicap level, if someone is actually maintaining a handicap, that is typically a good sign.  My personal line between a golfer and a newbie is whether the person will on occasion break 100, playing by the Rules.  So that might be around an index of 25.0 to 29.9? I have no problem playing with newbies, I just don't consider them a "golfer".

Brian Kuehn

I prefer to play with golfers who play at a decent pace and understand basic etiquette. Please don’t talk when I’m about to play andI don’t mind looking for balls once in a while but please not every hole.  Handicap is less important, but it’s always nice to be challenged when you are the high handicap in the group. 

Stevie T

It usually make sense to join other golfers when play is backed up and I am moving faster than the people in front of me.  I do this often and have noticed that "respectable handicap" often correlates with these characteristics of desirable playing partners:

• They are aware of the pace of play and whether or not they are holding you up or are falling behind the group ahead.
  • They are playing off the tees that are appropriate for their skill level (this is a big one!)  I am usually shooting high 70s from senior tees (5600-6000 yds).  With beginners the contrast becomes obvious and they often move up to join me.  The wild drivers never do.  I often wondered if those guys could play senior tees and use their length shoot low 70s?  Probably not.
  • They understand ready golf and position themselves and their carts effectively (no driving back and forth in front of green and across fairway, etc).
  • They abandon ball search after reasonable time and pick up after proceeding further with a blowup hole would be senseless (I suggest hole HC +2)

If I end up with players that are generally clueless about these things I move on or skip ahead at the earliest opportunity.

Edited by birdman03

13 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Please don't plumb bob a 5 footer for a 12.

No need to even line up and aim. Any putt for triple bogey or worse will go in, regardless of distance. I think it’s a law.

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 10/11/2020 at 11:56 PM, ckp160 said:

What do you consider a respectable handicap?  I ask because I walked 9 the other day and the course was sort of backed up and the fellow in front of me asked if I wanted to tee off with him.  I declined because, frankly, I'm terrible.  I'm perfectly comfortable with my game when it's just me.  I'm working on it like most golfers, but I'm uncomfortable playing with others who I don't know.

When did you feel like you were an average golfer who wasn't an abomination on the course?  I know everybody wants to get better, but when did you feel like it was okay to talk golf with somebody? 

I don't get that. To me the idea of golf is the company and the laughs accompanied by it. In fact, I hate playing on my own, and haven't done it for years. 18 months ago I was playing off of 15, now it's 18, and I am struggling to do that. I don't really care to be honest, because golf doesn't pay a mortgage, and I know I will never be a pro, especially now I am in my 60s. Golfers are very understanding people, and none of them care how good or bad you are. None of them will be laughing at you, and none will be passing judgement. Just go out there an enjoy yourself. 

• Like 1

- Simon Hornsby

On 10/12/2020 at 9:24 PM, NM Golf said:

I have to agree, I am willing to play with just about anyone, but at a certain point having to wait for someone to hit it 3-4 times between each of your shots begins to wear on you, as does constantly hunting for their ball. 

Ha! I can hit my ball 3-4 times before you can even get to your ball!  😁

Yes I pretty much find playing with most of my local golfer club members pretty good they mostly play weekly so even the high HC players keep a pretty good pace .... I do get out with my Neighbour which would be a 30+ HC and he takes an age to tee off really PGA pro time to hit which is fine in a two-ball but would do my head in a 4 ball ... yes looking for balls every hole would wear quick ...Is kind of good now with our local booking for club comps you get to see who your playing with online and their latest HC (not as random like in the past) ... I do enjoy playing with others around the same or better HC .. alway good playing a round with very little time in the rough/trees etc 

Go Foxy Go

In terms of playing with lower handicaps, I'm currently a 25 and send a few into the woods. I've gone out with way lower (to scratch) and as long as I keep the pace up, follow etiquette, I've never had an issue. I don't search long and if it becomes clear I'm Nett Double Bogey then often pick up time. I like it when I've joined others way better, good to watch. 

• Like 1

No one started out being a "scratch" golfer...……  Be the kind of person you would want to play along with......

I prefer to play with people that are better than me - I find that tends to make me play better.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

As Erik and David say many times in LSW, golf is hard. In conjunction with that thinking, any honest player with an honest handicap is respectable for me.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Note: This thread is 1273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!