Jump to content
IGNORED

COVID Effect on Dayton Courses


Recommended Posts

A story in today's Dayton Daily News talks about the numbers being great for the remaining courses.

Of course, closures have helped that, which they mention only deeper in the story. But good news for the survivors anyway.

NWGQMRWX7VBRBIOYM4X5TKT5CM.jpg

Sport filling “quasi-entertainment/health dynamics” void expected to hit 20-year peak.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to COVID Effect on Dayton Courses

It has been good for other courses. There is no doubt about that. I personally have played less than 1/10th the amount of golf that I usually do. It's just not convenient for me since I have to drive farther to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It has been good for other courses. There is no doubt about that. I personally have played less than 1/10th the amount of golf that I usually do. It's just not convenient for me since I have to drive farther to play.

I'm driving a shorter distance than before, but still am playing less golf.

It's been a real dodgy thing walking onto Miami Shores. If I tried it 8 times this year, I've done nothing but hit range balls at least 5. Eventually I found some guys with regular weekend tee times to play with, but it isn't like the old days where one of Kittyhawk's three were guaranteed to be available and I could just show up. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I'm driving a shorter distance than before, but still am playing less golf.

It's been a real dodgy thing walking onto Miami Shores. If I tried it 8 times this year, I've done nothing but hit range balls at least 5. Eventually I found some guys with regular weekend tee times to play with, but it isn't like the old days where one of Kittyhawk's three were guaranteed to be available and I could just show up. 

 

Yep. I never had a problem on at Kittyhawk. Even busy weekend mornings I could usually get paired up with someone. Getting to know the starters, they would often let me out the back because they knew I would not hold anyone up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 months later...

I tried to play last Friday and couldn’t get a time anywhere. Mostly played at Beavercreek this summer, early tee times on the weekends to avoid the crowds. Nice to be done before noon, but the first few holes usually hurt my score pretty badly. Might do a membership there next year - really would like to play more, but hard to find the time, so not sure it would be worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, MyLeftStrokeJustWentViral said:

I tried to play last Friday and couldn’t get a time anywhere. Mostly played at Beavercreek this summer, early tee times on the weekends to avoid the crowds. Nice to be done before noon, but the first few holes usually hurt my score pretty badly. Might do a membership there next year - really would like to play more, but hard to find the time, so not sure it would be worth it.

It's tough to simply walk on at very many courses these days. That was something I never had a problem with before this year. Would have had a real tough time if I didn't have an open invitation from a fellow Miami Shores member with a standing tee time.

If time is limited, a membership (particularly to a place like Beavercreek) probably doesn't make a ton of sense. You'd have to play a bunch of rounds to justify the $2,000 they'd be looking for.

How many rounds did you get in this year?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, MyLeftStrokeJustWentViral said:

I tried to play last Friday and couldn’t get a time anywhere. Mostly played at Beavercreek this summer, early tee times on the weekends to avoid the crowds. Nice to be done before noon, but the first few holes usually hurt my score pretty badly. Might do a membership there next year - really would like to play more, but hard to find the time, so not sure it would be worth it.

I am hesitant to get a membership anywhere these days with so many courses closing. I know that other courses are booming because of the city course closures, but everything is uncertain right now. The downside is that I don't play much without a membership. I only played 20 times if that this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

It's tough to simply walk on at very many courses these days. That was something I never had a problem with before this year. Would have had a real tough time if I didn't have an open invitation from a fellow Miami Shores member with a standing tee time.

If time is limited, a membership (particularly to a place like Beavercreek) probably doesn't make a ton of sense. You'd have to play a bunch of rounds to justify the $2,000 they'd be looking for.

How many rounds did you get in this year?

 

 

About 40, but not all of them were at Beavercreek. So I’m right on the borderline, if I committed to play most of my rounds there. On one hand, I tell myself I’d commit to get out more if I had the membership, even if I only had time for 9 holes or less. On the other hand, it could totally backfire and I’d be down a few hundred net. Unlimited range is also a nice perk due to my time constraints. I spent at least $200 at the range last year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I do get another membership, it will be at a private course. I tired of dealing with public courses. Beavercreek is not far from my house, but it always seems to be busy. Range access is included if I recall, but they have limited flight balls to prevent you from driving into traffic on I-675. My boss and the owner of my company are members at Miami Valley. It's a nice course and layout. I still have my sites on getting back to Florida in the next few years though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

If I do get another membership, it will be at a private course. I tired of dealing with public courses. Beavercreek is not far from my house, but it always seems to be busy. Range access is included if I recall, but they have limited flight balls to prevent you from driving into traffic on I-675. My boss and the owner of my company are members at Miami Valley. It's a nice course and layout. I still have my sites on getting back to Florida in the next few years though.

One of my buddies who was a member at Beavercreek just moved to FL. Another friend is a member at Moraine but he’s always too busy to play. I agree with you on the crowding being a turnoff. Beavercreek is always busy. Even if you can get a time, it can get really slow, which I don’t have the time or patience for. So I try to get the earliest times on the weekend to finish in around 3 hrs. Maybe later in the evening might work too, where I could jump around the course.
 

I’m hoping my mindset with a membership would go from “I don’t have enough time to get in 9/18, so forget it, I won’t try” to “I already paid for this so I might as well use it, even if I only get in a few holes.” I did a pool membership last summer for the kids and ended up using it a ton, so maybe I should look into the private clubs with pools as well. The article only talked about public courses, wonder if the private ones saw the same increase in demand, or if they’d have any intriguing offers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, MyLeftStrokeJustWentViral said:

The article only talked about public courses, wonder if the private ones saw the same increase in demand, or if they’d have any intriguing offers.

Don't have much personal experience on the area private courses, but I'd gather that a couple of them are scuffling. 

If I'm remembering correctly, Miami Valley was offering some pretty cheap memberships a year or two ago. My understanding is that Sugar Valley is somewhat less expensive than some of the others in the area. Up my way, Piqua CC and Troy CC seem a little more anxious than normal to scare up some new members.  Also have a client who's a member at Walnut Grove. He seems to like it anyway, not that he's invited me out there. 

If you do pursue the privates, I'd be interested to know what you find. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Played 27 Holes today made 7 birdies today finally birdied the 1st, just the second and third left to birdie.
    • I’ll pass that along to him and his people.  👍
    • Played my second round (ever) at the course that I think will be a home course for me next year (the complex has two 18s... I have played the other 18, but not in over a decade).  Birdied #13 to improve my away composite to five birdies and a total of -4 (I still have yet to par a hole nine in 2021 ... anywhere).  My two-round composite at that course is a 77.  By contrast, no birdies so far at my home course (well beyond two rounds played... and at least three scheduled in the next two weeks!), and three holes there I've yet to par.
    • Jesus, it’s not just white people who are offended. Just because he isn’t doesn’t mean many more native Americans are not. This line of logic is just idiotic. 
    • I talked to my buddy, 100% Navajo, about this thread.  His response was to shake his head, laugh and say “Leave it to the arrogant white man to tell us what we should be offended by…” Just thought I’d share.  I’m sure the arrogant white men here will continue to tell him he’s wrong though…  😂  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CrappyGolfer
      CrappyGolfer
      (68 years old)
    2. Jacob Vance
      Jacob Vance
      (25 years old)
    3. jax731
      jax731
      (54 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...