IGNORED

Who SHOULD Be Faster? 2 Young Men Each In His Own Cart, Or Four Senior Citizen Ladies?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played as a single yesterday, walking.  Started behind a twosome riding together in a cart.  Eventually they let me play through... after I'd already accepted that they wouldn't.  Lot of good that did.  Immediately ended up behind a foursome of seniors hitting from the appropriate tees.  They were pretty perky from tee to green.  But once on the green I swear it seemed like they languished for 15 minutes (probably 10 in reality).  And the one guy in the white hat wouldn't walk off the green until the first person in his group had teed off on the next hole.  Of course I did not feel any frustration.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

The 2 young men in carts SHOULD be faster but my experience tells me SENIOR LADIES (NOT senior men) usually play faster! They may not have the distance, but their balls are almost always on the fairway and they play ready golf. They also play from the correct tees and don’t fuss about egos. I am already an extremely fast player at my course but there are a couple senior ladies who can out pace me any day - walking! They once told me, at their age, they don’t have time to waste👏🏼

Edited by FlyingAce
  • Like 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It turns out the 2 dudes each with his own cart have 2 open holes in front of them, maybe 2 and a half. The senior ladies are booking right along. 

Funny, how the one group who should have been the fastest on the course. Two younger guys, each with his own cart were actually the slowest players on the course.

I have learned a lot of golfers can be myopic/non-observant.  They have no rear view mirrors and they don't look at anything in front of them other than their next potential landing spot.  Not dis-similar to people driving cars.  They are in their own little world and for the rest of us to think they can exit that little world is unrealistic.  (See how I cleverly executed a double rant there?)  😃

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

(See how I cleverly executed a double rant there?)  😃

You sir, are a master of rhetoric. 
Are you sure you aren't a Master Debater? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Not surprised at all....right now I'm convinced that the only slow golfers are football fans (sorry not sorry). That isn't to say that all football fans are slow, but pace of play on Sundays after 1 PM has been nothing short of amazing compared to Saturday at the same time. It's still slow, but at least 4 hours is within sight on Sunday afternoons now.

All this means is that Jet fans like myself are quick players because only masochistic Jet fans are watching their games right now (although it could be argued that being a Jets fan is a form of masochism).

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Just now, RFKFREAK said:

All this means is that Jet fans like myself are quick players because only masochistic Jet fans are watching their games right now (although it could be argued that being a Jets fan is a form of masochism).

I saw the Jets in the new Power Rankings, out today.  I had to scroll all the way to the bottom to find them.  I feel your pain... though I am a fan of the Seahawks.

10 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I saw the Jets in the new Power Rankings, out today.  I had to scroll all the way to the bottom to find them.  I feel your pain... though I am a fan of the Seahawks.

OT - I just hope Trevor Lawrence doesn't decide to stay in college another year. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Having played with senior ladies here's the deal: 1) most don't hit the ball far; 2) the ball stays on the short grass so no time is wasted looking for errant shots; 3) 18 holes can be played walking in about 3 hrs. This includes bathroom breaks at the 5th hole, the 9th hole, and the 15th hole. Most in the group will shoot about 88 to 94. Of course they play from the forward tees which are appropriate for their driving distances which average about 150 to 170 yds.

In the first group off the tee in the club there are the lower handicap sr women players. These players hit driver about 200 to 220 yds. and it's in the fairway... most of the time... They have handicaps around 5. The finish the round with scores between 70 and 78 and with walking times under 3 hrs.  

This was the club I played with.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I played as a single yesterday, walking.  Started behind a twosome riding together in a cart.  

Aren't the courses in Bellingham sold out because of the pandemic?

Trying to look for a 2some on Wed or Thurs.....basically all courses here are fully booked until 430pm within the city and sold out until 3pm in the suburbs...price gouging too,,,,UGH.

The below is a separate post....but got merged into the above post

For all:

Are things that much better in the US?....I read about so many under 3 hr rds in the states on quite a few golf forums.

We have so many lousy slow golfers here....and the seniors here are slow too....I've surrendered that a 4.5 hr rd is the norm here for public golf...I've played around 50 rds this year and maybe 4 of those rd were only just under 4 hours.

Courses are busy year rd here....I can't remember when I've ever played in 3 hrs here....ok....maybe on very rare occasions.

Edited by Mr22putt

14 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

SENIOR LADIES (NOT senior men) usually play faster!

This has been my experience too. Old guys in carts with cigars are glacial in pace.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have to agree with a couple of the earlier statements:

1. I always play on Sunday at or after 1:00. Pace of play is much quicker than Saturday (I'm a college football guy). I usually just listen to the games on bluetooth. 

2. Senior men are much slower than the senior women at our club. My theory is they watch to much golf on TV and that 3 bucks they are playing for is much more important to them than their wives?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

31 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

that 3 bucks they are playing for is much more important to them than their wives?

Did you mean to say "That 3 bucks they are playing for is much more important to them than it is to their wives"? 

Your way is funnier, however. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Did you mean to say "That 3 bucks they are playing for is much more important to them than it is to their wives"? 

Your way is funnier, however. 

Yes It Is GIF

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

8 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

Aren't the courses in Bellingham sold out because of the pandemic?

Trying to look for a 2some on Wed or Thurs.....basically all courses here are fully booked until 430pm within the city and sold out until 3pm in the suburbs...price gouging too,,,,UGH.

The below is a separate post....but got merged into the above post

For all:

Are things that much better in the US?....I read about so many under 3 hr rds in the states on quite a few golf forums.

We have so many lousy slow golfers here....and the seniors here are slow too....I've surrendered that a 4.5 hr rd is the norm here for public golf...I've played around 50 rds this year and maybe 4 of those rd were only just under 4 hours.

Courses are busy year rd here....I can't remember when I've ever played in 3 hrs here....ok....maybe on very rare occasions.

I have not played anywhere outside of my clubs but read on a local golf forum that tee sheets are completely full at non-membership courses and it is near impossible to get morning tee times. 

Where I play, 4 hours seems to be the acceptable pace but to me, that is slow. Maybe my expectations are higher since I am not used to a packed course. Last week, I set up a friend to play a round at my old club. After sending him off, I drove 30mins to my new club, played 18 by myself, another 30mins home and he still hasn’t finished 18! I thought that was an extremely slow round but it was still played under 4 hours...

I play the same muni most of the time. I have been paired with folks who play the blacks only a few times in the past few years. I play the whites, second from front.

I am probably jaded from a small sample size and I'm generalizing here:

-I have to wait for them to hit and they have to wait for the landing spot to clear. They never hit the landing spot. I walk to my ball and I'm still waiting for them to find , maybe, the lost ball.

-They are oblivious to anything around them because....they play the blacks?

What I have learned:

-Go to my tee , hit my ball, hide behind a tee until they finally decide to hit.

-Find my ball on the fairway, hit it, then wait for them to find their ball

I play with one guy, a volunteer marshal at the course, who plays the blacks. Has had back surgery so rides. He's 71. Bombs it, finds it, hits it again. Never an issue.

Note: This thread is 1158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!