IGNORED

Can We Stop with the Distance Debate?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It looks like the thread about stopping the distance debate has stopped. Does this mean the distance debate is on? Let's go! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It’s a dumb debate. Dialing back the ball is stupid. Architects can find other ways to make a course challenging other than length. The lowest round of 58 was done by a short hitter ( Furyk). BD isn’t destroying the game. Short knockers are still making it out there. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

The lowest round of 58 was done by a short hitter ( Furyk).

I think on a short course and a par 70. So, it wasn't the most under par. Still impressive though. 

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Short knockers are still making it out there. 

Not as much as they use to. In most cases, not on courses that favor longer hitters. 

37 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Dialing back the ball is stupid.

I agree

37 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Architects can find other ways to make a course challenging other than length.

Not many new golf courses getting made these days. Most golf courses will not make major changes. We are kinda stuck for now. Most of us do not play on PGA tour courses. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:
3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Not as much as they use to. In most cases, not on courses that favor longer hitters. 

Well..that makes sense from any era.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

I am a big fan of bifurcation. NBA should be played on 12' rims in my opinion (not a huge sports fan so take that with a grain of salt).

I agree that distance is an advantage and should be. My worry is for courses that could run PGA events, but don't have the room to stretch tees out to 7200 yards. Also, conservation of resources worries me, but that's another topic. Some sort of equipment bifurcation may mitigate this, and that is why I would argue in favor of it.

The alternative is to let the scores go lower and keep the courses as they are. These guys work really hard to get better and better... let their hard work be rewarded with lower scores, not golf balls that don't go as far.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am a big fan of bifurcation. NBA should be played on 12' rims in my opinion (not a huge sports fan so take that with a grain of salt).

You wanna make it hard on the NBA guys, try lowering the rims down to 7 foot. THAT would make it hard. 🤪

I agree that distance is an advantage and should be. My worry is for courses that could run PGA events, but don't have the room to stretch tees out to 7200 yards. Also, conservation of resources worries me, but that's another topic. Some sort of equipment bifurcation may mitigate this, and that is why I would argue in favor of it.

Why do we need to lengthen the courses way out. There are plenty of courses now. Is the PGA going around going "Dang, we'd of had an event, but there just aren't any courses we can play on." Plus, you don't have to water the hell out of the grass. That's just my point. These guys play on fairways that are nicer, firmer, and flatter than your living room carpet. 

Besides, even if they play on a "smaller" course. Lengthen the grass and let em go. What's the worse that could happen? They break scoring records? I say cool. The PGA and those guys over in Europe have put limits in place. Let's just keep those limits. 

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The alternative is to let the scores go lower and keep the courses as they are. These guys work really hard to get better and better... let their hard work be rewarded with lower scores, not golf balls that don't go as far.

You and I are on the same page, brother. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 10/13/2020 at 8:29 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I started watching football without the sound like 10 years ago. I actually prefer it that way. You miss nothing. 

I have found that listening to football on the radio without the sound is very difficult, however. 

:-$:-$

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

On 10/13/2020 at 11:04 PM, Zippo said:

I'm a big fan of the mute button for golf and football. Sometimes the announcers can get soooo stupid.

I can hardly stand to watch golf anymore. I swear that my IQ drops if I leave the sound on. It's not just driving distance. It's the constant bloviating about everything. Do these guys get paid by the word? Chris Collinsworth is the worst IMO. I would rather stick my hand in a bowl of cold snot than listen to him.

<rant over>

<maybe>

- Shane

6 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I can hardly stand to watch golf anymore. I swear that my IQ drops if I leave the sound on. It's not just driving distance. It's the constant bloviating about everything. Do these guys get paid by the word? Chris Collinsworth is the worst IMO. I would rather stick my hand in a bowl of cold snot than listen to him.

<rant over>

<maybe>

I have to confess. I usually watch golf without the sound. And as I said before I haven't had the sound on for a football game in over 10 years now. 

It kind of started back when my son was a newborn. He was a terrible sleeper (wouldn't know it today) and my wife and I would try to be really quiet when he slept. So I'd watch sports without the sound... now I just like it better. 

Funny you mention Chris Collinsworth. I remember when he was just a sideline/fill in guy. I actually liked him in that role. Then once he became full time I realized he is way better in small doses. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I have to confess. I usually watch golf without the sound. And as I said before I haven't had the sound on for a football game in over 10 years now

You are missing all the fun. Try and note all the stupid ass things the announcers say. Each player picks an announcer and all players tally the dumb statements. The player who’s announcer said the most dumb things wins! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

You are missing all the fun. Try and note all the stupid ass things the announcers say. Each player picks an announcer and all players tally the dumb statements. The player who’s announcer said the most dumb things wins! 

Sounds like a fun game.  I especially like when the announcer tells us what we already see on the screen... golf, baseball, football, curling.  "Okay, he's wielding his broom now, lots of sweeping..."

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Sounds like a fun game.  I especially like when the announcer tells us what we already see on the screen... golf, baseball, football, curling.  "Okay, he's wielding his broom now, lots of sweeping..."

We may have to handicap it for some announcers. I mean The Zinger is good for 10-12 per hour.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

I guess talking about off-topic stuff is one way to stop the distance debate…?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

We may have to handicap it for some announcers. I mean The Zinger is good for 10-12 per hour.

World Series of Stupid Asses = Zinger vs. Collingsworth.  (Said somewhat tongue-in-cheek 'cause I wouldn't want to try what they're doing)

Faldo... run-on BS about swing mechanics that if he had successfully applied to himself, Jack Nicklaus' record would have already been broken and Tiger Woods would just be a footnote.

Oops... just saw Erik's comment after I posted.   Guilty as charged.   Though I am the king of "off topic".  But to repeat myself regarding ball distance and bifurcation:  "These guys work really hard to get better and better... let their hard work be rewarded with lower scores, not golf balls that don't go as far."

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

"These guys work really hard to get better and better... let their hard work be rewarded with lower scores, not golf balls that don't go as far."

+1

Distance is a skill.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

By bringing up the subject, I think you are magnifying the debate. 😆

Like any athletic achievements, people will get better, faster, longer, etc.  It's just a natural progression.

• Like 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I mean it’s golf. It’s hard. Faldo won ( three?) majors with a huge amount of very low percentage events happening...such amazing luck...for two Masters for sure. Golf will always win. Let them bomb away. 

I wish. But this argument will never stop. Today's professionals are paying heed to the Olympic motto - Faster, Higher, Stronger. Rolling back the ball will cause other unpleasant issues.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Note: This thread is 1250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!