IGNORED

My Swing (StuM)

StuM

5 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I have my swing on video from a lesson I took a few months ago and really disappointed in some swing issues, so much that I would be embarrassed to post it in here. I do hit the ball quite well, 12.7 hc, though.

I'll trade HC with you.  I am so past embarrassment, I am going to get better and that is all there it to it.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

You need to do this:

Weight very much in the heels. That's a big part of what causes that extension.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/24/2021 at 10:35 PM, iacas said:

You need to do this:

Weight very much in the heels. That's a big part of what causes that extension.

This may not be as good as needed.  I could not get it to give me an angle on the line at the shoulder but just looking at it I see my hands are out in front of the shoulders.  I see the angle at the hips is "150" which I will translate into "30 degrees".   I see in the thread that the hip angle ranges from 31 to 42 degrees with several in the mid 30s so I suspect I need a little more angle in my set-up.  I really need more education on this topic 

image.png.067c47eae8f3f7ac474beae9a8c862e9.png

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

7 minutes ago, StuM said:

This may not be as good as needed.  I could not get it to give me an angle on the line at the shoulder but just looking at it I see my hands are out in front of the shoulders.  I see the angle at the hips is "150" which I will translate into "30 degrees".   I see in the thread that the hip angle ranges from 31 to 42 degrees with several in the mid 30s so I suspect I need a little more angle in my set-up.  I really need more education on this topic 

Post this in that other thread too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, StuM said:

Your "mid-hips" line is also much too far forward, and the camera angle is a bit off.

Yes, you need to work on your setup. Your grip is probably too palmy, your weight is way into your heels…

Do something like that (you just need a 2x4 by a wall).

I would save posting it in the other topic until it's better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Took my 1st full swing lesson of the year on Feb. 23rd.  There are a lot of the same issues as my lesson last August.  We focused on the driver and he has me doing a drill where I slow my backswing and then try to hit the ball only @ 100 yards and stop my swing with my belt buckle & the club aimed at my target.   I am also to focus on bringing my hands down more on plane and place an object just in front of the ball & outside of the ball to encourage me to stop swinging out.  Among my issues, I tend to do a fast back swing and do not complete my rotation, slowing the backswing should help me focus on a complete turn.  The abbreviated swing is to get me to focus on brining the club out in front of me and completing my turn to the target.  @iacaspointed out I have too much weight in my heels so I will also be working on that.  Below is a video recap of the lesson.

Stuart M.

7 hours ago, StuM said:

Took my 1st full swing lesson of the year on Feb. 23rd.  There are a lot of the same issues as my lesson last August.  We focused on the driver and he has me doing a drill where I slow my backswing and then try to hit the ball only @ 100 yards and stop my swing with my belt buckle & the club aimed at my target.   I am also to focus on bringing my hands down more on plane and place an object just in front of the ball & outside of the ball to encourage me to stop swinging out.  Among my issues, I tend to do a fast back swing and do not complete my rotation, slowing the backswing should help me focus on a complete turn.  The abbreviated swing is to get me to focus on brining the club out in front of me and completing my turn to the target.  @iacaspointed out I have too much weight in my heels so I will also be working on that.  Below is a video recap of the lesson.

I just took a lesson at Carl's Golfland a few months ago and am really disappointed in my swing. Even though I am down to 12.5 hc, I am too embarrassed to show the video here. Granted, I have a damaged right ankle, but still, my swing disappoints me. Keep up the good work!

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

15 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I just took a lesson at Carl's Golfland a few months ago and am really disappointed in my swing. Even though I am down to 12.5 hc, I am too embarrassed to show the video here. Granted, I have a damaged right ankle, but still, my swing disappoints me. Keep up the good work!

@Billy ZI do not know you but suggest you do not let embarrassment hold you back.  Post that video and see if anyone can offer some guidance.  I not not seen anyone on TST looking to humiliate another golfer, they are mostly here to help.  We all have issues and if your ankle prevents you form having a "Pretty Swing" SO WHAT.  Just my 2 cents.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my most recent lesson recap.  In the lesson he had me begin to focus on not getting my hand in front of the ball at impact.  My timing appears to be off and my hands are fully cocked and past the ball the flipping the club at the last second...Which does not work.  He has my working to beging straightening the wrist (May be wrong wording) to have my wrist more straight at impact then move the club bas the hands.  In the recap he commented on my fidgeting hands and fingers just prior to the start of the back swing.  I never realized I did that.

The less was last Thursday and today's practice seemed better.  Not perfect, but better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

• Administrator

I'd be working on that backswing. Forget anything on the downswing or near impact.

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd be working on that backswing. Forget anything on the downswing or near impact.

I agree, I did not realize my right arm was so glued to my side.

Stuart M.

No video to post but did several sessions at home on Monday & Tuesday just practicing my backswing, working to keep the right arm straighter and away form the body.  Today (Wed.) went to the range and hit a small bucket.  I'm not saying I hit all good shots but the ratio of good to poor to downright crappy was better.  I am especially happy with one of my BAD backswings.  I felt my right are bend and begin to stick to the rib cage and immediately knew what I was doing wrong and was able to stop and reset to hit a great shot.  I figure it is a good sign I could feel that I was doing it wrong.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

• 1 year later...

Coming soon: Updates to My Swing Thread.

Last fall Erik changed my grip and it took until a early July to really feel normal and I am hitting some better shots.  I still struggle with consistency which I attribute to Lack of Practice in addition to a less than great swing.  A common "Error" is I lift my head & body up before contact.  I guess I am too eager so see how well I hit the shot, but usually I just see a crap shot when I do this.  WHY, WHY on earth do I not learn and just keep the head more still and keep my eye on the ball through contact which usually results in better contact?  I have to believe you can teach an old dog some new tricks, otherwise I am doomed to stinking up the course forever.

Stuart M.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, StuM said:

A common "Error" is I lift my head & body up before contact.  I guess I am too eager so see how well I hit the shot, but usually I just see a crap shot when I do this.

That's might never have been the reason you or anyone else has done that.

7 minutes ago, StuM said:

WHY, WHY on earth do I not learn and just keep the head more still and keep my eye on the ball through contact which usually results in better contact?

Because you're doing something else that causes it. The cause is farther back in the chain.

You have the impact you have because it's required given what comes before it.

39 minutes ago, StuM said:

Coming soon: Updates to My Swing Thread.

Last fall Erik changed my grip and it took until a early July to really feel normal and I am hitting some better shots.  I still struggle with consistency which I attribute to Lack of Practice in addition to a less than great swing. 

I think you know how to address lack of practice.

Videos are always great to provide, and you've seen how a change early in the process, such as grip, can make a difference.  There are lots of people who I hear attribute a swing error to a symptom of a different issue.  When I started with My Swing (which caused me to sign up for Evolvr), a lot of early practice was setup and backswing.  In the first year or so between the "My Swing" thread and Evovlr, I don't think we addressed anything else, but working on those led to much better results down the line, ultimately dropping my handicap from high teens to low teens.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, StuM said:

WHY, WHY on earth do I not learn .....

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a very hard game, and it takes time to learn it. Cause and effect in golf is tricky and I can think of dozens of times over the years where I thought I knew what I was doing, only to have a professional show me I didn't know. Trust the process, give yourself time, and practice smart. Even great players had to go through learning and experienced most of the same things we mortals experience. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Informative 1

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• 3 weeks later...

I hope to get to the range this weekend to get some video.  One thing I just noticed looking as SS is that with my driver I am @ roughly equally left, right and in the FW. However my shots left of the fairway tend to be my shorter drives.  I'm curious if the shorter shots tending to be left indicate any specific problem? (Other than a total lack of consistency).  Below shows my dispersion with my driver.

image.thumb.png.1d8ad4bf4c42b0bf276e5790f0522a7a.png

Stuart M.

• 1 year later...

I’m posting this here just so I remember to work on it.  

• Like 1

Stuart M.