Sign in to follow this  
StuM

My Swing (StuM)

13 posts / 1007 viewsLast Reply

I've been Playing Golf for: @ 15 years
My current handicap index is 24.8
My typical ball flight is: Formerly was always a slice but recently more of a "Push" right, but on occasion slice & hook do appear.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pushing ball right of target, worse with longer irons/hybrids.  Driver is not perfect but typically more reliable than my 3-6 Hybrids.  Right now I am focusing on the hybrids trying to be "on-target"

I should have a video to upload next week, weather permitting and for now I am just getting the page set up and ready.

I have so many problems picking a priority piece is tough  I am making better contact lately but off line is a problem.  More often than not I push right so as of now that is my focus, but I am open to change.  My instructor has given me a few things to work on which I will share.  These seem like a lot of things to work on but he knew I would not be seeing him for a while (next lesson this winter).  Some of these were things he had me "Fix" before but I fell back into some old bad habits.

1) At address I tend to "Squat" and have poor inclination.  He is having me push my hips back a little and work on maintaining inclination. (I hope I am using "Inclination" correctly.)

2) I tend to swing outward but then pull the club around to my left after impact, a little like a baseball bat swing.

3) At address I was lining up my ball in the center of my stance but then having significant shaft lean that was delofting the club. I used to think I was topping the ball but he said I was delofting the club to such an extent that it could not get up in the air. He had me move the ball forward, to @ my left ear, and working to minimize the shaft lean.  Note, this is primarily for the hybrids, the lower clubs are still more in the center of the stance.

4) I tend to bring the club back like getting ready to swing a baseball bat and he is having me do a drill where I put a board behind my club and he wants me to work on pushing it straight back for a short distance as I begin my backswing.

5) I was starting my downswing from A4 before beginning my hip rotation.  He is having me work to move my right knee towards my left before I begin the downswing.  

6) He has me doing a drill where I take a practice swing but stop the club at A8 with the goal of my belt buckle pointing to the target with the grip of the club aimed at the belt buckle, the club parallel to the ground with the head aimed towards the target.  I'll video this and post since I'm not sure I am describing it well.

Since I began the above I am hitting my hybrids better but consistency is an issue.  Distance is getting better with several 3-Hybrids going 200-230 yards recently, but GG says 193 is more typical.

I look forward to your input once I get the video up.

Videos: 

[Delete this, Embed Videos Here - https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/]

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, my swing looks worse than I thought.  Look forward to your comments.

FYI, range closed today so hit foam balls, I’ll try to get to range and hit real balls this weekend.

It’s a little flippy at impact, but there a a lot of good parts. I would recommend doing the first five COVID drills, especially the day five drill. Your basically slowing down your rotation as you get to impact. You want to feel like you continue to rotate your hips and shoulders through to A9. The towel drill will help too.

Thanks for the input @boogielicious.   I've seen, but not in detail, the COVID drills,  I'll take a closer look at them.  You also mentioned the "Towel Drill", is this what you are referring to? It was posted by @mvmac a few years back on TST.

03022673_towel.jpeg

39 minutes ago, StuM said:

Thanks for the input @boogielicious.   I've seen, but not in detail, the COVID drills,  I'll take a closer look at them.  You also mentioned the "Towel Drill", is this what you are referring to? It was posted by @mvmac a few years back on TST.

03022673_towel.jpeg

Not that drill, this one. Low point control. 

I am working on the Day 3 COVID Drills and curious if I am getting it correct.  I also notice I am dipping as I do my turn, any suggestions?

FYI, raining outside today so tried indoors, no broken lights or dented walls so I guess it worked.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Can you go higher and a bit less deep?

I’ll try going higher but I am not sure what you mean by “ less deep”.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I’ll try going higher but I am not sure what you mean by “ less deep”.

Depth is front to back. So higher and less deep is more over your right shoulder and less behind you.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Depth is front to back. So higher and less deep is more over your right shoulder and less behind you.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Here:

Thanks to @boogielicious & @iacas.  This helps a lot.  I'll work on it.