cipher

Possible 2021 TST Golf Trip to Sand Valley, WI (Mid July)

84 posts / 3175 viewsLast Reply

Paging: @mvmac @saevel25 @GolfLug @DaveP043 @Hardspoon @georgep @DeadMan @Slim_Pivot @mchepp @kpaulhusand anyone else who may be interested. Spots are probably going to be limited to  8 people.  

I have been in contact with @iacas about the possibility of hosting a 2021 TST outing next July and I'd like to make it an amazing experience for those who attend.  

If this is something you would be interested in, please let me know here.  

Major point of consideration: Sand Valley is WALKING ONLY, no carts.  Also, we will likely want to play from around 6700+ yards or so.  

Lodging: 

It likely would be at our family lake house which is about 1 hour and 20 minutes from the course. Lodging is very pricey at Sand Valley($250/night/person) and so this is why I am considering this route to save everyone some $. See the spoiler to see the lake and house. It has 6 beds, we could make arrangements for up to 8 though with some modifications. Ideally it would be great to get 8 people committed to coming to this.  

Spoiler

The Golf: 

I am thinking 3-4 days of golf, depending on what everyone would like to do.  

Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes Greens Fees: $225 each

The Sandbox(17 hole par 3 course) Green Fees: $65

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Sand Valley

Sand Valley Golf Resort: A Top 100 Golf destination golf resort in central Wisconsin with the first course by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw opened in 2017 and the second course by David Kidd opened in 2018. Sand Valley...

Nearby Course Options:

Sentry World: $155 (Not cheap but it worth checking out the flyover videos, it is fairly unique) Might be an interesting option, might be too much $, I have not played there.  

www.sentryworld.com

Lake Arrowhead: $55 (very close to Sand Valley)

www.lakearrowheadgolf.com

We may be looking at some other/better options as well. I am just putting a couple out there for now.  

Edited by cipher

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for thinking of me, I'm definitely interested.  I may be retiring this year, my plans are pretty uncertain, but this sounds like a great trip.  Keep me posted, please.

I'd like to be kept in the loop on this. That's only 3 hours from my folks house. I haven't seen them since this who COVID thing began. If the COVID thing has left us by then I'd be interested in possibly doing a grandparents visit/golf trip. 

Way too early for me to commit to anything though. 

25 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Thanks for thinking of me, I'm definitely interested.  I may be retiring this year, my plans are pretty uncertain, but this sounds like a great trip.  Keep me posted, please.

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'd like to be kept in the loop on this. That's only 3 hours from my folks house. I haven't seen them since this who COVID thing began. If the COVID thing has left us by then I'd be interested in possibly doing a grandparents visit/golf trip. 

Way too early for me to commit to anything though. 

Will do guys, just need to get it out there to make sure we give everyone who is interested enough notice. I will probably be booking the Sand Valley tee times well in advance of the date.

Estimated total cost not including travel and food?

Can be a wide range

24 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Estimated total cost not including travel and food?

Can be a wide range

Golf: $600-900 depending on what courses we decide to play.  

Stay is free, no cost for any of the nights at the lake house.  

Everything else is kind of unknown at this time.  Am I missing anything?

I'd provide a good portion of the food and drinks for the meals at the lake, but we may want to go out a couple nights for dinner, and I am no cook. We do have a grill and a full Kitchen at the Lake that we could use.  

Btw, I'd recommend anyone who would be flying in to go through Minneapolis. It's only about 2 hours to the lake vs 3 from Milwaukee.  

21 minutes ago, cipher said:

WeGolf: $600-900 depending on what courses we decide to play.  

Stay is free, no cost for any of the nights at the lake house.  

Everything else is kind of unknown at this time.  Am I missing anything?

I'd provide a good portion of the food and drinks for the meals at the lake, but we may want to go out a couple nights for dinner, and I am no cook. We do have a grill and a full Kitchen at the Lake that we could use.  

Btw, I'd recommend anyone who would be flying in to go through Minneapolis. It's only about 2 hours to the lake vs 3 from Milwaukee.  

Thanks! I can go.

We all put in for our vacations at the beginning of the year (healthcare vacation days can be annoying).

I can def get the time off. Just need to know the dates by like February, no hurry on them.

Very highly interested. I should be in full walking shape by then. These places seem otherworldly on insta...

The lodging offer is amazingly generous. Thanks Nate...🥇🎁

Edited by GolfLug

1 hour ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Thanks! I can go.

We all put in for our vacations at the beginning of the year (healthcare vacation days can be annoying).

I can def get the time off. Just need to know the dates by like February, no hurry on them.

Awesome, we are somewhere in the July 17-24 timeline I am not sure if we want to do three days over one of those weekends or the middle of the week or what yet.  We can pretty much do whatever, it's my family's place. 😂 We can all discuss that and also make sure which dates work best for us.  It will be great to meet you!

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Very highly interested. I should be in full walking shape by then. These places seem otherworldly on insta...

The lodging offer is amazingly generous. Thanks Nate...🥇🎁

It would be great to have you come.

I thought this is kind of neat, the dunes there are natural to the area as well. The depth of the sand out there is pretty crazy. My caddie when I played in August was telling me about it.  When you go there it is kind of hard to believe you are in Wisconsin.  Haha

"The site for the resort currently sits on what was once the lakebed of an ancient glacial lake that covered much of Central Wisconsin. In roughly 16,000BC the ice dam protecting the glacial lake burst, causing a catastrophic flood event that emptied the entire 150' deep lake in just two days, creating what is now the Wisconsin Dells. The sandy lakebed where our site now sits became exposed and over time blew into the 80' high dunes and valleys now seen today."

So far I have spots tentatively reserved for:  

1. Me, @cipher

2. @iacas

3. @mvmac 

4. @Slim_Pivot

5. @GolfLug (since you say highly interested, and until you say otherwise)

Other undecided/highly contemplative(🙂) parties in order of interest: @DaveP043 @ChetlovesMer

Edited by cipher

23 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I’m in. My wife gave me the go ahead, and I’m committing before she changes her mind. 😛

Sweet!  I’ll update the list in the morning.

Sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing the opportunity @cipher  Particularly your accommodations, that is awesome. 

Similar to @DaveP043 I am in interested but undecided camp. I would like to keep an eye on it as it gets a little closer. 

I’m in - pending final confirmation of the dates (my brother is scheduling his wedding for either July or September, but I’d have to be pretty unlucky for it to be the same weekend). This sounds awesome. 

I told my lovely wife about this, and she reacted much as she did when I was invited to the 2015 Newport Cup, she told me I was an idiot if I didn't go.  So barring any unforeseen snag, I'm in.

Very interested. I should be able to make it with that much advance notice.