Jump to content
IGNORED

TST Takes on Sand Valley, WI (July 18-23, 2021)


cipher

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

Yea I’m fully committed, too. Tickets are booked already, the only two things left I need to do are to buy a good travel bag and six dozen golf balls 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
58 minutes ago, billchao said:

six dozen golf balls 😉

What u gonna do the remaining four days? 😜

Edited by GolfLug
  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haha, it actually takes a lot of "talent" to lose golf balls at Sand Valley. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, cipher said:

Haha, it actually takes a lot of "talent" to lose golf balls at Sand Valley. 

I’m quite “talented.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
  • Moderator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

I'll have a few pointers on SV, when the times comes. Tee shot on #2 is a bit tricky and the lake Michigan shaped bunker 261 out on #6 is not visible from the tee are a couple.  Also without a lot of hurting wind your drives are going to go farther than many of us are used to.  I haven't played Mammoth but I think the tee shots are not as difficult.  

6-7-comp.jpg

A look at 6th hole at Sand Valley, a beautiful Coore & Crenshaw-designed par 4 that forces a decision off the tee with unique design features

@billchaoBlack I believe.

Edited by cipher
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
9 hours ago, cipher said:

I'll have a few pointers on SV, when the times comes. Tee shot on #2 is a bit tricky and the lake Michigan shaped bunker 261 out on #6 is not visible from the tee are a couple.  Also without a lot of hurting wind your drives are going to go farther than many of us are used to.  I haven't played Mammoth but I think the tee shots are not as difficult.  

6-7-comp.jpg

A look at 6th hole at Sand Valley, a beautiful Coore & Crenshaw-designed par 4 that...

@billchaoBlack I believe.

It seems in general it would be a good idea not have aversion to sand - fairway or green side. Are fairway sand areas waste areas? Not gonna worry about target golf off the tee (not exactly a choice anyway...lol).

On this hole, I think ending up in the right green side trap laying two would very acceptable, especially if pin is in the repellent front side of the green. 

How did you play it?

Edited by GolfLug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

It seems in general it would be a good idea not have aversion to sand - fairway or green side. Are fairway sand areas waste areas? Not gonna worry about target golf off the tee (not exactly a choice anyway...lol).

On this hole, I think ending up in the right green side trap laying two would very acceptable, especially if pin is in the repellent front side of the green. 

How did you play it?

I "tried" to play just to the right of that first larger sand trap finger and pulled it. Caddy told me I would be in the second "Lake Michigan" trap but I carried it somehow. I am guessing we were playing the sand tees on this hole. We played orange/sand combo if I recall. I had about 85-90 in and bladed my shot over the green. Don't go there. Haha  

23 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The course doesn't look tight. Just doing some measurements, most fairways are like 40-50 yards wide. 

 

It is very wide, that is why it is tough to lose golf balls out there. #9 is about one of the only holes you can lose a ball. Water to the right and front of the green. 285 to the front, elevated tee. No driver for you, haha. Very fun risk-reward hole. 

Edited by cipher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, cipher said:

I had about 85-90 in

Yeah, for some of yall neither of the traps would be in play..  I guess the big wasteland on the right would be waiting for the ones that roll through the fairway. 

I'm gonna say a bogey here will count as a success in my book. 😊

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, for some of yall neither of the traps would be in play..  I guess the big wasteland on the right would be waiting for the ones that roll through the fairway. 

I'm gonna say a bogey here will count as a success in my book. 😊

 

That second trap at 316 to clear from the tips I definitely will have to consider.  I can't clear that.  Maybe Matt can.  😊  Bogey is a win for me as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, cipher said:

That second trap at 316 to clear from the tips I definitely will have to consider.  I can't clear that.  

I guess it's a handful from the black tees. So no chance of playing err..ahem..uhh...orange tees maybe? lol.

4 minutes ago, cipher said:

Maybe Matt can.  

Yeah, he will have that 80-90 shot left like you had prolly...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
49 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

So no chance of playing err..ahem..uhh...orange tees maybe?

There’s a fee for changing your tees. Cash only 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
10 minutes ago, billchao said:

There’s a fee for changing your tees. Cash only 😃

Are there senior tees available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to TST Takes on Sand Valley, WI (July 18-23, 2021)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Day 53: Did some yardstick putting practice indoors, and some rehearsal/swing mapping with a PW, also indoors.  
    • Day 207.  If you think I hit some 6-iron shots today, you're right!  But I also spent 30 minutes putting on a real green by taking a break to do so;  I didn't do drills, and I mostly hit from 3-12' ; the shorter ones I focused on doing my best to make it, the longer ones I wanted to get close enough to have a chance but, if I missed, to miss them long with a short return putt.  I also spent ten minutes hitting half shots with my 54 degree (indoors, off a mat, real balls). 
    • Mostly firstname lastname.  No titles;  if I did, somewhere between a third and a half of my active contacts would have the prefix Dr. and that would just be confusing.  A few are in there as pseudonyms;  even though no one goes through my phone, it's just in case as I don't think they'd want their personal number getting released through my carelessness.   A few are missing last names, usually if I don't know that information about them for some reason, and a few have reminders if I only sort of know them or if there are two or more people I know with the same first-name last-name combination.   Scrolling through the contact list, I have a ton of people I haven't had any communication with, phone or otherwise, in over a decade.   The only time I have ever known how I'm stored in someone else's phone was back in college when I, at some point, found out that my then-girlfriend had me stored in her phone as "Bozo." 
    • I'm playing Lake St. Clair Metropark (Par-3) again this Saturday. 🙂
    • Mostly First and Last Name. If it's someone I want to remember associated with a business it might be like Jay (Henderson Construction). 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AWebb85
      AWebb85
      (36 years old)
    2. grilljm
      grilljm
      (75 years old)
    3. Joe92385
      Joe92385
      (36 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...