IGNORED

TST Whoop Group

iacas

I've had my eye on one of these for a while too.  Mostly with the idea of improving sleep habits.

I've not pulled the trigger yet, mostly because of adding yet another subscription.  However, if I'm able to use the data to truly improve my sleep, then I'm happy to pay the $1 a day.  Something like a group to keep me honest might be enough to push me over the edge.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:03 PM, iacas said:

I've set up a "team" so we can all compete against each other.

I guess I'm curious what is the gamification aspect of being in a group?  The advantage of being in a group to have others root you on (or judge you) is obvious and likely enough motivation.  But is there more to it than that?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, bweiss711 said:

I've had my eye on one of these for a while too.  Mostly with the idea of improving sleep habits.

I've not pulled the trigger yet, mostly because of adding yet another subscription.  However, if I'm able to use the data to truly improve my sleep, then I'm happy to pay the $1 a day.  Something like a group to keep me honest might be enough to push me over the edge.

Close to $0.50/day if you do the 18 months, FWIW.

26 minutes ago, bweiss711 said:

I guess I'm curious what is the gamification aspect of being in a group?  The advantage of being in a group to have others root you on (or judge you) is obvious and likely enough motivation.  But is there more to it than that?

Mostly just that for now, with leaderboards, etc.

It's fun to share the data with others. For example, some people find that one or two beers is not terrible, but a third of a glass of wine, five beers, whatever is just a wreck for them. Stuff like that.

Or that if they go to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 6, that's FAR better than going to bed at 11:30 and waking up at 7:30. And by sharing info like that, others can see if they're affected similarly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I wore mine last night and again today. I won't make any judgements for a month.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I wore mine last night and again today. I won't make any judgements for a month.

You just wear it 24/7, no?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

You just wear it 24/7, no?

Yes. I just said it like that because I just received it last night. I will likely take it off during showers though as I really don't want to be walking around with the band being wet. Other than that, I'll leave it on. I'm curious to see the calories burned and strain after my crossfit workout today.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Yes. I just said it like that because I just received it last night. I will likely take it off during showers though as I really don't want to be walking around with the band being wet. Other than that, I'll leave it on. I'm curious to see the calories burned and strain after my crossfit workout today.

👍🏼

• Administrator

Here's a bit from my day. I played 18 holes walking with a push cart on a relatively hilly (for Erie) course.

First my daily overview (as of about 10pm):

2020-11-10 22.02.46.png

Then my activity:

2020-11-10 22.09.04.png

Then my heart rate throughout the day. I went from golf to teaching lessons for two hours to getting home and making food and then finally trying to relax a little.

2020-11-10 22.03.05hr.jpg

really think the bicep strap is the way to go. I almost don't even think about it.

The back nine is hillier than the front nine.

Also, I need to sleep more, apparently. 41% recovery is not very good.

I am going to wear this one for a month and then try the bicep strap for a month. See which one I like better. I bought the bicep strap as well.   So far, I haven't had any issues with the wrist strap. In my Crossfit workout, the only time I noticed it was when I put on my grips but they had just enough room to strap and not hit the whoop.

Do you start an activity when you go to sleep or just allow it to automatically detect?  I have been allowing the auto detect, but read to track latency, you need to start an activity. I think I will try that tonight to see how long it actually takes me to fall asleep.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Also, I need to sleep more, apparently. 41% recovery is not very good.

For me, it always when I fall asleep. I am programmed to wake up from 7:00-8:30 depending on the time of year. As we get into winter, it will get closer to 8:30. When spring hits, I will be up around 7:00 every day. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Do you start an activity when you go to sleep or just allow it to automatically detect?  I have been allowing the auto detect, but read to track latency, you need to start an activity. I think I will try that tonight to see how long it actually takes me to fall asleep.

I let it auto-detect. It's been within a few minutes every time.

But… I don't lay in bed at night without falling asleep. I fall asleep quickly. I was told years ago to not lay in bed - if you can't fall asleep, get up and go somewhere else and read for awhile. Your bed, you should train your body, is for sleeping. When you go to bed, you want to fall asleep quickly.

The morning is another matter. Occasionally if I wake up (or my wife wakes me up by getting dressed and ready for school), I'll read on my phone for a bit in bed. That's different.

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

For me, it always when I fall asleep. I am programmed to wake up from 7:00-8:30 depending on the time of year. As we get into winter, it will get closer to 8:30. When spring hits, I will be up around 7:00 every day. 

I don't understand being able to sleep in until 8:30. 🙂 But I don't understand falling asleep in the car, either. Heh heh.

Last night's "recovery": 32%. I got 6:23 of sleep.

I'm going to Google "daytime naps whoop recovery" later. 😄

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't understand being able to sleep in until 8:30

I wake up with the sunrise most of the time. Winters are really tough for me to wake up before 8:00 am. 

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

But I don't understand falling asleep in the car, either. Heh heh.

Its easy to do. 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Alright, I got my WHOOP calibrated and have joined the team

Bryan A

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Alright, I got my WHOOP calibrated and have joined the team

Sweet.

Also, I'm learning that "recovery" is mostly about HRV, and not about how long or how well you sleep? I say that because I did nothing yesterday and got 96% sleep performance, but my recovery today is 32%!

And the app tells me that my HRV is low. But my autonomic nervous system didn't have to react to much yesterday, and I wonder how much caffeine affects HRV, too.

P.S. Quick googling says caffeine doesn't correlate to HRV much. But if you're basically just sitting all day and then going to bed, I'm not sure why your HRV would go up.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Sweet.

Also, I'm learning that "recovery" is mostly about HRV, and not about how long or how well you sleep? I say that because I did nothing yesterday and got 96% sleep performance, but my recovery today is 32%!

And the app tells me that my HRV is low. But my autonomic nervous system didn't have to react to much yesterday, and I wonder how much caffeine affects HRV, too.

P.S. Quick googling says caffeine doesn't correlate to HRV much. But if you're basically just sitting all day and then going to bed, I'm not sure why your HRV would go up.

I just started reading about HRV this morning. Had no clue what it was until WHOOP.

Bryan A

• Administrator
1 hour ago, TN94z said:

I just started reading about HRV this morning. Had no clue what it was until WHOOP.

It still seems odd to me that you want HRV to be high. You want an erratic heartbeat. 😄

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I believe HRV is measured by a few different methods and algorithms. Does Whoop have any information on good HRV for their system, and what is a good number? 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's crazy how good HRV is at telling us when we need to recover. There is a higher rate of injuries in athletes during times of low HRV. 

10_Ways_to_Increase_HRV_whoop-scaled-1.j

Heart rate variability (HRV) is a valuable metric for determining physical fitness and your body’s readiness to perform. Here are 10 ways to increase...

I agree with that list from what I have heard. 

Maybe days of low HRV it would be advisable to do low intensity training and stretching. Work on some breath work and meditation. Make sure you eat well. 

I think sleeping at a consistent time frame is good. Try to go to bed at the same time every night. Make sleeping a process and routine. There are studies with people who work the overnight shifts and they have higher mortality indicators. This is just due to being up during that time of day even if they get 8-9 hours of sleep a day. 

I believe at one of the daylight savings time shifts, the one where you lose an hour of sleep, there is a 20%-25% higher rate of cardiac arrest. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

It still seems odd to me that you want HRV to be high. You want an erratic heartbeat. 😄

I am just starting to read about it, but high HRV doesn't necessarily mean erratic though, right?  It just means there is a greater time between heartbeats. Really just making sure I understand it more than anything with the question.

Scratch that...I get it now.  Read that article that @saevel25 posted

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I am just starting to read about it, but high HRV doesn't necessarily mean erratic though, right?  It just means there is a greater time between heartbeats. Really just making sure I understand it more than anything with the question.

I'm teasing a bit with "erratic" but the "V" in "HRV" is "variability," as I think you then read/learned.