IGNORED

TST Whoop Group

iacas

I'm at 95% recovery and HRV of 85! Both of which are higher than normal. I did run last night after doing nothing last week

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I'm at 95% recovery and HRV of 85! Both of which are higher than normal. I did run last night after doing nothing last week

I saw that, you asshole. 🙂 Was all proud of my 93% and go to the team page and the ONE other person awake (still?) is at 95. 😛

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I saw that, you asshole. 🙂 Was all proud of my 93% and go to the team page and the ONE other person awake (still?) is at 95. 😛

🤣  Sorry about that.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I am not sure I like how whoop does sleep...

Sunday: 83% Performance, 94% SE (Went to bed at 2:50-ish in the morning)

Compared to my Oura Ring

Sunday: 59 Sleep Score, 89% SE

Maybe i don't realize that 83% is really bad? I got 83% of the sleep needed. Getting the sleep needed isn't the entire story when it comes to sleep and the body. 

Saturday I was playing poker with friends till about 1:45 AM. Then I drove back to my house and fell asleep around 2:50 AM. I know by the research this is not good even if I end up getting 8 hours of sleep. They have done studies showing that people who work the night shift, even if they get good sleep time, will have higher indicators of stress and poor health indicators in general. Whoop shows a 83% performance. It shows a 94% efficiency. That is just because I tend to not toss and turn a lot. I tend to be a deep sleeper. By all indications I had a decent night of sleep. Again, maybe not. Maybe 83% sucks. Compared to my Oura Ring's 59 sleep score, about 15-20 points lower than my typical 70-80 range. I did get good sleep efficiency, about 90%. My Oura ring shows the following reasons why I had a poor sleep. 

1. Total Sleep of 6 hours
2. Tossed and turned a bit too much 
3. Little to no REM Sleep (2%). I typically have a little REM Sleep. It's weird. 
4. Timing, I went to bed at a stupid time

Also, I had to adjust my whoop sleep timeframe. It said I went to bed 50 minutes earlier than I did and woke up about 1 hour later. I find my Oura Ring to be way more accurate in showing when I actually fell asleep and woke up. I may need to go in an adjust my sleep in my Whoop Data. 

Right now, I like my Oura Ring for measuring sleep. I am going to go back and adjust my sleep timeframes for my Whoop to match my Oura Ring. I think a lot of my numbers will change. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am not sure I like how whoop does sleep...

Sunday: 83% Performance, 94% SE (Went to bed at 2:50-ish in the morning)

Compared to my Oura Ring

Sunday: 59 Sleep Score, 89% SE

Maybe i don't realize that 83% is really bad? I got 83% of the sleep needed. Getting the sleep needed isn't the entire story when it comes to sleep and the body. 

That's not a score. It's literally just the time. Got / Need.

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Saturday I was playing poker with friends till about 1:45 AM. Then I drove back to my house and fell asleep around 2:50 AM. I know by the research this is not good even if I end up getting 8 hours of sleep. They have done studies showing that people who work the night shift, even if they get good sleep time, will have higher indicators of stress and poor health indicators in general. Whoop shows a 83% performance. It shows a 94% efficiency. That is just because I tend to not toss and turn a lot. I tend to be a deep sleeper. By all indications I had a decent night of sleep. Again, maybe not. Maybe 83% sucks. Compared to my Oura Ring's 59 sleep score, about 15-20 points lower than my typical 70-80 range. I did get good sleep efficiency, about 90%. My Oura ring shows the following reasons why I had a poor sleep. 

Perhaps your Oura was the one that was off.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

BTW mine from last night:

128B4C23-8CE6-400E-ACEB-8A099DFBBE89.png

I had 93% recovery and 130 HRV.

Edited by iacas
Deleted crap version

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not a score. It's literally just the time. Got / Need.

Perhaps your Oura was the one that was off.

Not sure.

After looking at it, the Whoop isn't as far off as from when I fell asleep and when I woke up compared to my Oura Ring. 

I've been wearing the Oura Ring for over a year now. I find that when the sleep score is significantly lower than my baseline I feel like crap the next day. Which matched well with how I felt on Sunday. 

Again, I don't know what is bad for a sleep performance. The Whoop app says you need at least 70% to allow your body to recover. Maybe 83% is bad. Maybe they should color code that number as red or something. 83% for me makes me feel like crap the next day. If I was able to sleep an extra hour, I probably would still feel like crap the next day. Going to bed that late just messes me up. 

Also, I am not a big fan of talking about sleep in terms of sleep debt or banking sleep. That isn't how it works. You can not bank sleep, and you can not make up for loosing sleep. It's not like money. I am not sure Whoop adjusting your sleep needed on a daily basis actually is correct. I am not sure the ratio is 1:1. Like, if I miss 1 hour of sleep, does it take 1 hour of sleep the next day to recuperate from that lack of sleep or does it take 4-5 days of good sleep to recuperate. 

GettyImages-149040090.jpg

Trying to make up for not getting enough sleep during the week by sleeping longer on weekends has been found to have negative effects such as...

The best thing we can do is to be consistent when we sleep. Try to make sleeping a routine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I've been wearing the Oura Ring for over a year now. I find that when the sleep score is significantly lower than my baseline I feel like crap the next day. Which matched well with how I felt on Sunday.

I think you're giving too much weight to the one number on the Whoop. Especially if it's just a % of sleep you "got" versus what it thought you'd "need" with no consideration for quality, etc.

What was your recovery like? Did you drink? Do you use the journal?

Maybe 83% is bad.

Again, Matt, that's not a "score" it's just got/need. You can sleep horribly for ten hours and get 100% but it's not a score.

Also, I am not a big fan of talking about sleep in terms of sleep debt or banking sleep. That isn't how it works.

Sleep debt is a real thing. It's not 1:1. For example mine suggests an extra 35 minutes tonight because I was 0:58 under yesterday. It also doesn't keep accumulating. I won't sleep 8:31 tonight or whatever it says, but tomorrow I won't be at 0:35 + another 35 minutes if I go 0:58 short.

I agree you can't "deposit" extra sleep (sleeping too long can be bad for you), but you can build up a deficit and need a longer sleep than normal to recover.

I am not sure the ratio is 1:1. Like, if I miss 1 hour of sleep, does it take 1 hour of sleep the next day to recuperate from that lack of sleep or does it take 4-5 days of good sleep to recuperate. 

It does not do 1:1.

The best thing we can do is to be consistent when we sleep. Try to make sleeping a routine.

It rates you on that too. And encourages a good sleep pattern/schedule.

• Administrator

Firmware update went smoothly.

BTW, I find the app kind of annoying. There are so many ways to swipe, tap, etc. and very, very few of them are obvious at all. It took me awhile to find the sleep performance stuff earlier today, but you just tap on enough things and stuff slides around and new things appear and eventually you get it.

It's not very discoverable, but at least it's not "destructive" to tap and swipe everything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So I thought I'd check in on New Year's Day recoveries. I cleaned the basement yesterday (and today) and got to… about a 14.9 strain, but my recovery today (I went to bed at about 12:15) was only 29% with an HRV of 39.

@bweiss711 is next at 41%, tied with @TN94z. @Darkfrog has 51%. @saevel25 had 98%!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So I thought I'd check in on New Year's Day recoveries. I cleaned the basement yesterday (and today) and got to… about a 14.9 strain, but my recovery today (I went to bed at about 12:15) was only 29% with an HRV of 39.

@bweiss711 is next at 41%, tied with @TN94z. @Darkfrog has 51%. @saevel25 had 98%!

I had too much wine last night, but managed to still be okay with a yellow recovery. Even did a 10.4 strain hour of hard labor digging a trench in the backyard out of compacted clay soil. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

I'm surprised a bit at my low recovery. I slept pretty well, I thought, and got a decent amount.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

My recoveries have been declining this week.  Not necessarily because of NYE. Didn't even have any drinks.  Its just this week I've really gotten out of the nice routine I was in right before Christmas.  Sleep is way off, exercise and water intake is way down.  So its actually great to see this reflected in the recovery scores.  Hopefully as I get back into a better routine, the recoveries will go back up.  I was in a nice stretch a week or so ago of steadily increasing my HRV.  Would be nice to see that progress again.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Yea, probably because I've been just sleeping in forever. Though, I have been going to sleep at 12a-2a every night. I don't wake up till 8:30-9:30. 

I also think I finally got all the alcohol out of my system. I've been dry for over a month now. I feel much better overall. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I also think I finally got all the alcohol out of my system. I've been dry for over a month now. I feel much better overall. 

I don't think that takes a month. 😉

It's not like… marijuana, cocaine, etc. You're not gonna have alcohol in your hair or something. 😄

Has anyone had issues with the strap loosing bluetooth connection? Mine does this once or twice a week, and I have to force close the app, "forget this device" in iOS bluetooth settings, take the strap off and put it into pairing mode, and then reopen the app to pair back up. Anecdotally seems to happen when battery gets below 20%.

On 12/15/2020 at 2:18 PM, iacas said:

BTW, I find the app kind of annoying. There are so many ways to swipe, tap, etc. and very, very few of them are obvious at all. It took me awhile to find the sleep performance stuff earlier today, but you just tap on enough things and stuff slides around and new things appear and eventually you get it.

It's not very discoverable, but at least it's not "destructive" to tap and swipe everything.

I don't like the app interface either. I usually just stay on the "overview" tab, but navigating left/right between tabs and up and down is not intuitive. I also don't like that certain features performance assessments launch in a web browser, but I know literally nothing about app development, so maybe it is easier to have the app launch a browser then to embed the content in the app.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

No issues with the Bluetooth here.

I only get that issue when the battery has died 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag