IGNORED

TST Whoop Group

iacas

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe you were a little sick, and your HR and breathing rate were up?

My respiratory rate is stupidly consistent. 

For an entire week it fluctuated +/- .2

My average HR is usually around 68-ish. On Saturday is was 73, and on Sunday it was 73. Yea, it was elevated. 

My average HR plummeted yesterday, it was at 62. I wonder if that was because I did a workout on Wednesday. My HRV jumped to 130 on Thursday. 

My Oura Ring didn't pick up anything strange. Oh well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Back in the green at 79%!

I somehow had 14.8 strain yesterday.

Sometimes I wonder if the Whoop algorithm isn't just a fancy random number generator.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Five days in the green, baby!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/7/2021 at 1:54 PM, iacas said:

Sometimes I wonder if the Whoop algorithm isn't just a fancy random number generator.

Whoop counts my superspeed warmup and workouts as higher strain events than my semi-rigorous bike commute. I get that a round of golf, walking on a hilly course, might be at 10+ strain activity, but yesterday's golf practice of warming up, doing superspeed and hitting some balls was 11.8. It's confusing to me as well.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

My sleep habits have been crap lately. I need to try to get to sleep earlier. I also caught a sinus infection or something. My recovery has been garbage. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Thinking about ordering one here soon. For those of you who have been using Whoop for a few months, any regrets, reasons I shouldnt purchase, etc? 

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy watch which I always have on, but the Samsung Health app isn't great IMO and outside of getting a notification when I'm getting a call/text, the only thing I use the watch for is for the MyRoundPro app which tracks my shots on the golf course, so I think my plan is to wear Whoop all the time, then just wear both the Galaxy watch and the Whoop when I'm playing that way I'll still be able to track my stats plus track my activity.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

No regrets. I recommend the bicep strap. I think @saevel25 concurs there.

I got a 15.1 strain walking 18 holes today with a push cart after my COVID-19 shot. I'll be interested to see my recovery tomorrow! 😄

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

I recommend the bicep strap. I think @saevel25 concurs there.

I like the bicep strap. Most of the time, I don't even notice I am wearing it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No regrets. I recommend the bicep strap. I think @saevel25 concurs there.

I got a 15.1 strain walking 18 holes today with a push cart after my COVID-19 shot. I'll be interested to see my recovery tomorrow! 😄

40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I like the bicep strap. Most of the time, I don't even notice I am wearing it.

Is the bicep strap more accurate or just a matter of comfort/preference vs the wrist strap?

I'm used to wearing my watch now so I don't think I would mind/care about wearing the wrist one.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

I don't know. I didn't want something on both wrists.

I like that it's out of the way. I've heard of some people getting some bad readings sometimes on their wrists. Like driving, they'll get a 10 strain or something.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, klineka said:

Thinking about ordering one here soon. For those of you who have been using Whoop for a few months, any regrets, reasons I shouldnt purchase, etc? 

I've got no regrets about subscribing to Whoop. I've had mine since July 2020. I really like seeing the data, and getting an understanding of how my body responds to various things. I was able to confirm something I have always thought was true, that alcohol, even a single glass of wine or beer, really messes up my sleep and recovery. 

The wrist and bicep bands have pros and cons. I don't love the pressure that either of the bands apply, it's tighter than a watch, although I wouldn't characterize it as uncomfortable. I got accustomed to the wrist band, and it didn't bother me all that much, but I did find myself inadvertently scratching my kids/wife with it as I would tend to forget it was there after awhile. When worn with the wrist strap, the Whoop device leaves an imprint on my skin that takes several days to go away (I switched  left / right periodically). Having something pressed so tightly against my skin all the time kind of created an "old cast" smell (I took it off and cleaned my skin and device daily). I purchased a bicep strap, and it was more convenient and out of the way, but I also found it moved around (slides up and down, or around the arm) more than the wrist strap. The bicep strap left a depression around my arm, but it doesn't leave an imprint of the Whoop device and no "old cast" effect. Lately I have been switching between bicep/wrist and left/right arms. With either band, you do get used to its presence and stop noticing it. It's really personal preference - if I had to pick only one, I'd go with the bicep strap. You might want to consider ordering a bicep strap in addition to the wrist band that comes with the device.

All that said, I am most likely going to cancel my membership after my next billing cycle (will be active until the end of April).

Why cancel? As much as I like seeing the data, I've come to realize that I am not really putting it to any useful purpose, nor do I have plans to do so. I don't really do any hardcore athletic training or working out, and I have other tools to track my sleep and more basic health/activity metrics. All things said and done, I'd rather take that $18-30 per month and spend it on something else, like golf.

PS - The device is useless without a subscription, so if I do cancel, if anyone here would like my battery or bicep strap (washed of course), I'm happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping (I think batteries are $50 from Whoop, and the bicep strap was $30). I would offer my wrist strap as well, but wrists get a lot dirtier than biceps (washing dishes, cooking, yard work, etc.), so it's really dingy.

-Peter

Did a bunch of yardwork this afternoon, and Whoop decided it was golf. Maybe because I hit some balls while taking breaks from shoveling dirt. At least I got some strain in for an otherwise lazy Saturday.

-Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'm sure others of you saw this:

heart-rate-variability-guide-hrv-trainin

Heart rate variability (HRV): What it is, what causes it, why it's a sign of fitness, factors that affect it, how to improve it and use it to train smarter.

I would assume McIlroy is in pretty good shape so resting HR would be something in the 60s. He's just on the tee about to hit and it's almost double that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I would assume McIlroy is in pretty good shape so resting HR would be something in the 60s. He's just on the tee about to hit and it's almost double that.

When I was bike racing, my resting heart rate was 48. It’s around 60 now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Do you guys use the journal? I have every day, but I'm not sure my routine varies enough for me to really see any type of difference from it.

Just now, iacas said:

Do you guys use the journal? I have every day, but I'm not sure my routine varies enough for me to really see any type of difference from it.

I have not. What type of information do you put in? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
Just now, saevel25 said:

I have not. What type of information do you put in? 

Visited chiropractor or not, # of caffeine and last time consumed, took NSAID, drank alcohol, etc.

There's a long list of options to choose from.

Some people see a strong correlation between, for example, drinking a lot of booze and a low recovery score.